Sign of the times

On my way home from coaching my soccer team yesterday evening I drove by a local credit union whose parking lot seems to be filling up not with customers per se, but with car repo’s.  If you didn’t know better, it would look like a used car dealership.  I’ve kept an eye on the lot for several weeks because they had a couple vehicles that caught my eye.  This was new on the lot.

The point is not so much that repo’s are a new thing, but what did catch my eye was that this repo was done without the owner having the time to remove a large website decal from the rear window. It was very revealing and obviously the owner was or still is in housing. I’m not in the market for a Hummer, but this appeared to be in mint condition.

About S-Crow

"S-Crow" (Tim Kane) is co-owner (with spouse Lynlee, LPO-Designated escrow Officer) of Legacy Escrow Service, Inc., an authentic independent escrow firm closing residential purchase/sale and refinance transactions.

AMS says:

If he still is in the business, I guess he probably uses a bicycle now?

TJ_98370 says:

Realtors need four-wheelin Hummers in case they need to take potential customers to see properties in the wilds of Capital Hill or similar.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

There is a certain unwritten expectation that as a real estate agent, you will drive something fancy and expensive to prove how successful you are. It’s never made any sense to me, and I’m not one to ever live beyond my means.
    A four wheelin hummer?
    I’m guessing this guy had made some enemies, and had the thing armored.

David McManus says:

Do you have a photo of the back window?

Ray Pepper says:

…………………….Nothing better then a good Hummer………………. !!

S-Crow says:

Ira,

Do you find that the peer pressure is huge? Will the culture of real estate and lending ever change?

For example, I know of an individual who is in the r.e. business and their website talks about “it pays to consult a Realtor” and building wealth through sound lending and real estate investing etc….

No where on the website does it say that the individual espousing these talking points has had a BK, and working on the 2nd foreclosure, the most recent coming very soon. To me it is sad.

I regret to say it, but I’m still of the belief that these people really need help via family, counseling, community or church support or something and should not be allowed to sell property or do lending until they clean up their own financial situation.

patient says:

Now when real estate isn’t the in thing anymore I’d guess we will see less of the trophy wifes with expired best before date type of agents in their Mercedes’s and Lexus’s as well. It will be back to the boutique and art gallery business.

If you want to give a respectful impression today as an agent a Prius or similar is the right choice of business vehicle not a Hummer that’s for sure.

Ray Pepper says:

S-Crow in Nevada , where I’m from , you are unable to have Bankruptcy or derogatory credit to get your Brokers License. Here in Wa. there is no such requirement. Amazingly enough in Nevada I’m required to stay current on my CE(continuing ED) every year for my RN license. Here in Washington I don’t have to work any certain hours or take ANY CE for my nursing . Amazingly dangerous.

Very lax standards here in Wa.

S-Crow says:

Ray,

Yikes! Sounds crazy.

How was the turnout for the home show? Wanted to ask you earlier. Do you think people are moving towards staying put and remodeling?

Ray Pepper says:

Tacoma Home Show was a bit of a death march. Seattle Home Show was amazingly busy on Saturday. Talked with 5 Bubbleheads. So many remodeling booths and after talking with many of the merchants its the same across the board. Things are slow and times are bad.

It was actually very distressing being next to a family owned painting business. Just a father and his two sons. They were so nice and needless to say 500 Realty will be giving them ALL our painting Leads for rentals and such.

EconE says:

“Now accepting offers”?!?!

It’s a Hummer. Who wants the embarassment of being seen in one of those?

The ad should read…

“Please Please PLEASE make an offer….and afterwards…don’t tell anybody where you got it….deal?”

It should also come with a bumper sticker that says…

“My insecurities are much larger than my penis”.

David McManus says:

I’m currently working next to a Windermere office in DT Bellevue and the parking lot is majority Lexus and a few Benzes. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in that office.

mukoh says:

S-Crow, where was this CU? Is this Boeing or Alaska Trust? I might pop in and give them a hefty $2k check for that one. Need something to go offroading with.

WestSideBilly says:

I was going to offer $1000. Mukoh beat me to it, darn.

S-crow,
    I’d say there are a lot of real estate agents who spend more than they make in order to look successful. Maybe if I’d become a real estate agent in my 20’s I’d have become sucked into that, and maybe I’m just dense, but seeing a real estate agent driving a Mercedes or a Lexus doesn’t strike me as a sign that they’re looking out for their client’s best interests, merely that they’ve borrowed a lot of money and have to sell a lot of houses to make their car payments.

David McManus says:

Where are we closing today, guys?

TJ_98370 says:

Dow is down 514 to 8519, but oil is also down to below $67 a barrel. Hummer owners will be rejoicing!

IRA AND S-CROW

Actually, the Hummer may be good to grab up cheap/quick before oil’s $10/barrel again and SUVs rebound in price again?

I’m thinking there’s gonna be lots of good quality cars that devalue, in the 2007s and 2008s, after the end of the year, on autotrader.com for 50-70% off base sticker. Some with 15 miles on the odometer too. There’s a glut of cars on the market right now and even the foreign ones that used to hold their value well, won’t anymore either, I predict for 2009.

But don’t go to the expensive big dealers for their general lot prices, unless you don’t care about deals.

mukoh says:

I am still waiting for s-crow to say where this is at, to snap that puppy up for weekend trasher.

jonness says:

“It’s a Hummer. Who wants the embarassment of being seen in one of those?”

Years back, my GF and I stayed a few days at Steve Wozniak’s house (he invented the Apple computer). One night he took us out to dinner in his Hummer. I think it was one of the first ones anyone ever bought because when we drove around in that thing, people would stop and stare in amazement (and that’s down in CA where nice rides are no big deal). At the time, I thought the thing was cooler than all get out. It wasn’t all gaudy like the new ones.

Years later, everyone and their dog was driving one. And the more time that went on, the more gaudy, stupid, and annoying they became. I wouldn’t be caught dead in one these days.

d says:

bummer… i have a sick feeling I know who’s hummer this is. Always wondered if he was really that successful in RE

Eli says:

My mom’s a very successful realtor in the DC area (yes, even today), and she drives a Prius. But she works with clients who are seeking a responsible and authentic partner, not a fake. Turns out that customers actually like that – who woulda thunk it?

mukoh says:

I think cars in no way defy anybodys success. I know as many people barely getting by driving a Hummer, same number of very successfull people who are fine with a Tahoe.

Everett_Tom says:

I’ll have to agree with the “a nice car does not a wealthy person make” theory.

At my last job, I commuted with a guy who lived in a trailer park, I’ve never seen so many nice cars in one place. It was like everyone decided they’re rather have a car loan then a mortgage..

Tom says:

The current Hummer H2 are just Tahoes with a different body. The original Hummer H1 was based on the military vehicle (the HMMWV), which is no longer being sold to the public.

olaf says:

Come on, Tim! What was the URL on the back window? Don’t make us go out and look for ourselves.