Seattle Bubble hit a geeky milestone yesterday, with the posting of its 0x10000th comment! That’s hexadecimal—base 16—65,536 for you non-geeks out there. The 0x10000th comment was posted by Flying Ape.
In commemoration of this geeky occasion, here are a few statistics relating to the comments on Seattle Bubble.
As of the 0x10000th comment, 65,536 comments had been posted across a total of 1,852 posts, for an average of 35 comments per post. Seattle Bubble was launched on August 5, 2005, so that’s an average of 42 comments per day.
Stupid spam robots have attempted (and failed) to post 89,069 (0x15BED) spam comments, outnumbering comments by real people 1.4 to 1. And that’s just since Seattle Bubble’s move to its own domain in May 2007, meaning that the spambots (failed to) post an average of 99 comments per day. Yikes!
Top 10 most-commented posts:
- 2008.06 – May Reporting Roundup (330 comments)
- 2009.06 – May Foreclosures Up 69% from 2008 in King County (295 comments)
- 2008.08 – House Valuation Workshop (232 comments)
- 2009.01 – Official Word on Microsoft Layoffs: 1,400 Now, 5,000 Total (218 comments)
- 2009.07 – Are Home Price Drops Around Seattle Mostly Over? (218 comments)
- 2008.07 – June Reporting Roundup (206 comments)
- 2009.08 – Comment of the Week: Impulsive Behavior Disorder (198 comments)
- 2008.01 – Predictions: 2007 Revisited, 2008 Prognosticated (186 comments)
- 2008.09 – Breaking: House Votes Down $700B Bailout (179 comments)
- 2009.07 – NWMLS: Sales Edge Above ’08, Median Up 5% MOM, Down 12% YOY (177 comments)
10 12 most prolific commenters:
- Kary L. Krismer (2,548 comments)
- The Tim (2,085 comments)
- david losh (1,596 comments)
- deejayoh (1,504 comments)
- Scotsman (1,472 comments)
- patient (1,190 comments)
- Eleua (1,177 comments)
- softwarengineer (1,150 comments)
- meshugy (929 comments)
- Matthew (925 comments)
- Ray Pepper (869 comments)
- Jon (782 comments)
[Update: There was a glitch in the auto-generated top ten that caused some commenters’ count to be split. I have updated the list to correct for this error.]
Technically, “Anonymous” was #1 with 2,651 comments (a throwback to Seattle Bubble’s old days at Blogger.com), but since that’s not really a single person, it doesn’t count. What’s really impressive about Kary’s spot at #1 is that he only just started commenting on Seattle Bubble in July of last year, so in less than 16 months he has managed to rack up nearly twice as many comments as the next-closest competitor (not counting myself), averaging 5.4 comments per day.
And let’s not leave out the forum!
Top 10 forum posters:
- rose-colored-coolaid (1,976 posts)
- deejayoh (1,154 posts)
- TJ_98370 (837 posts)
- The Tim (790 posts)
- Alan (780 posts)
- Robroy (681 posts)
- sniglet (679 posts)
- Markor (602 posts)
- biliruben (573 posts)
- WestSideBilly (550 posts)
A giant THANK YOU goes out to everyone that participates in the discussion here at Seattle Bubble. I have learned a lot from you, and I think on the whole we have made a positive contribution to the understanding and demystifying of real estate and related economic issues in the Seattle area. I hope that we can continue the conversation for many 0x1000s of comments to come. ;^)