Redfin: Sales Stalling in Seattle, Climbing on Eastside

Full disclosure: The Tim is employed by Redfin.

With the latest monthly stats release from Redfin going live a couple days ago, I thought I would spend a little more time with the data (in addition to all the on-the-clock time I spent this week getting it prepared for release).

In order to make the numbers in the spreadsheet more digestible, I thought a Tableau map would be just what the number doctor ordered (big surprise, I’m sure). In the map below each zip code with enough sales in June is shown as a dot, with the size of the dot determined by the number of sales in that zip code in June. Each dot is color-coded based on whichever measure you select below the map. You can view the month-over-month or year-over-year changes in inventory, sales, median prices, or median prices per square foot.

[Update: By request, I have modified the color coding on the map below to a more colorblind-friendly palette.]

As you can see if you leave the map on its default setting, house sales took a tumble from May to June in most Seattle-area neighborhoods, but were slightly up month-to-month on the Eastside. I suspect with the (original, unextended) expiration of the tax credit at the end of June, next month that version of the map will see an awful lot more dots.

Interestingly, if you look at the raw median price year-over-year, you’ll see a fair bit of green in the central Seattle area, but if you flip the measure to the median price per square foot, much of that green turns to gray or red. This would seem to suggest that prices have actually fallen in many of these neighborhoods over the last year or so, but buyers are just purchasing bigger houses.

Let me know what you think of this method for visualizing Redfin’s housing market data. One thing that has always frustrated me about the available information has been that it was difficult to see how the market was changing from neighborhood to neighborhood. With Redfin’s data broken out by zip code, I think the ability to make a heat map like this goes a long way toward improving understanding of what’s really going on, but I’m interested to hear your feedback as well.

I was wondering yesterday what a post like this would do to the credibility of the Seattle Bubble brand. We’ll see.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I always complain about C-S and even the King County median covering too large of an area, but I think you run into different issues when you’re looking at only a month’s worth of data on a small area. When you’re dealing with such small areas it would probably be best to use 3 or 6 month periods of time.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Pending Sales or Real Sales?

As Tim’s clarified many times, pending sales are all mostly wait and see, if/when they’re not accepted.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: David Losh @ 1 – Not sure why this post would affect my credibility any more or less than when I posted about their data last month and wasn’t employed by them (I hadn’t even spotted the job posting yet at that time).

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: softwarengineer @ 3 – Real sales. For one thing, you don’t know price until the sale closes.

deejayoh says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 2:

I agree. I like the rolling 90 day view for smaller areas

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 2 & deejayoh @ 6 – Agree. Once I get 90 days worth of data I’ll work on that :^)

Blurtman says:

Gaaaakk!!! Patty Murray’s website claims that she votes to end Wall Street bailouts. She was for the bailouts before she was against them, I guess. Still under Patty’s “leadership?” Goldman Sachs masquerades as a bank holding company to borrow our money at 0% interest and to invest in our treasuries at 2-3% interest. That is a taxpayer financed money machine. How would you all like a piece of that action?

Murray has got to go. Sorry for the off topic rant.

Pegasus says:

RE: Blurtman @ 8 – Patty will claim anything now that she is up for re-election. She has “forgotten” how she could not help but vote for a pork laden bailout that did almost nothing but blow needed money and create very few jobs. I do like that ad that is being run with her tennis shoes walking all over the backs of her constituents.

As to Goldman’s and the other bankers’ racket designed to fleece Americans and not provide needed capital for recovery I think Lloyd Blankfein put it best. He told a reporter for the Sunday Times of London that he’s just a banker “doing God’s work”.

Blurtman says:

RE: Pegasus @ 9
    Pegasus,
    The problem as I see it is that both political parties are corrupt. Goldman Sachs was granted bank holding company status by their former CEO, Hank Paulson, when he was Treasury Secretary under George W. Bush. Hank Paulson headed up Goldman Sachs when they engaged in massive fraud. And he had the taxpayers pay for their fraud by bailing out AIG. The USA resembles the stereotypical banana republic with crooks installed in executive cabinet positions.

I wish there were a credible thrid party Reform candidate.

Pegasus says:

RE: Blurtman @ 10 – I agree. The last third party candidate that even had a slight chance was the quirky Ross Perot. The problem with third party candidates is that they normally get just enough votes to destroy chances of removing the crooked incumbents. Speaking of Perot I still wonder what really made him pull out at the last minute in 1992. He was sure right about NAFTA though.

HappyRenter says:

I like it. I wished I could zoom in, but it might not be necessary. I’m not too familiar with Seattle’s zip codes. I guess I will need to pull up a map of the zip codes next to it. Or maybe, the little pop up window could show also the name of the neighbourhood next to the zip code? It does give me a feeling however where to look for a home based on what I can afford. Thanks!

Willy Nilly says:

RE: HappyRenter @ 12

You can zoom in, and pan as well. Go to the arrowhead icon at the bottom of the map.
    I was disappointed as well until I found it.

RE: The Tim @ 4

Have you considered your brand? You are now a part of the Wal Mart family of Real Estate with redfin.

I did read Glenn’s words of wisdom about coming back to the redfin site often to be educated by statistics, because really, that’s all you need to know about building a Real Estate.

No, my friend, your position on the internet has changed dramatically. Where before you were a lone voice of reason; you are now speaking for corporate brokerages everywhere.

Augmentor says:

Tim,
    Thanks for this visualization of the data. Looking at my corner of Seattle, I am eager to see the trends for a longer period.

PS Sorry to see you are getting unwarranted flack on the Redfin job. Suggest you ignore it and carry on.

corncob says:

RE: David Losh @ 14 – Even hookers can give you some interesting information. Just remember when it comes from.

JChristoph says:

RE: David Losh @ 14

Dude. You are pretty out of touch with things. I support Tim, before and after his job-change, just as much as I always have supported Redfin, for eliminating the need for those useless, seedy, glorified car salesmen that suck waaaaay more than they’re worth from you.

wreckingbull says:

RE: JChristoph @ 17 – Well said. The reaction from some people on this blog is rather telling. I imagine elevator operators felt the same way at some point in history.

One Eyed Man says:

RE: wreckingbull @ 18RE: JChristoph @ 17

While I agree with both of you, in fairness to the Losh and others who share his view, Redfin’s profits are dependent upon their transaction volume and there is the potential that at some future time Redfin may look to spin the statistics to help generate additional demand for their services just as the investment brokerage houses had their analysts spin their stock ratings to help win investment banking business. The point is that there is a risk that Redfin will at some point pollute the purity of The Tim’s statistical information for the purpose of improving their transaction volume and bottom line. We’ve all seen NAR cherry pick the most positive stats and leave out the ugly truth.

Hopefully Redfin will always recognize the value of unbias statistics to its business. I think a very significant part of Redfin’s value as a brand is its association with unbias statistical information and I hope that they don’t compromise that brand. But it is a risk none the less.

wreckingbull says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 19 – Of course there is always a risk, which is why we must all think for ourselves. Looking at most of the comments here, I don’t think that will be a problem. My take? Redfin’s business model does not require the pathetic pumping and FUD we get from the ilk of the NAR. Time will tell.

By wreckingbull @ 20:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 19 -Redfin’s business model does not require the pathetic pumping and FUD we get from the ilk of the NAR. Time will tell.

I don’t know why you think that. Redfin needs volume more than the traditional brokerage needs volume. Salaries vs. commission.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

It’s a rebate brokerage. What if redfin offered to give you a “free” patio set if you bought your home through them?

That was the gimmick in Arizona, in the 1980s, that gave rebate brokerage a bad name.

It’s always been around, but was protected against by Congress, that’s how Glenn, and many others, ended up pleading their case to Congress.

The larger fear is if redfin rebated escrow, mortgages, and title with a home purchase. How about a new Discover Card with a limit of $1200 like Sears wanted to offer, again in the 1980s. Sears owned Coldwell Banker, and again could, or wanted to rebate you with home furnishings.

My biggest objection is comparing a home purchase to E*Trade or Expedia. Millions of people have lost billions of dollars in equity, maybe trillions globally. You are correct by comparing redfin to Real Estate sales people because that is exactly who they are. These are sales people, long, short, and all together.

The Real Estate business is a pretty closed shop that many people want a piece of. It is a billion dollar industry. The fact is that very few people ever, I mean ever, get good at the system.

But I digress, the real reason for a redfin or Zillow is to tap the online mortgage market. That is what Congress is working on today. The Wall Street Reform includes a Loan Originators compensation provision. It will make large corporate lenders the only ones who can do mortgages. By limiting compensation there will need to be volume. The internet will help with that.

In my opinion these are corporate thugs looking for a buyer. redfin, if smart, will sell quickly. This next round of disappointed home owners may turn on the industry as a whole, and refin is a part, a small part, of the Real Estate Industrial Complex.

RE: One Eyed Man @ 19

Exactly, as Ardell called the “bottom” of the market. Are we at the “bottom?”

Because according to most of the people here it’s looking like prices may stabalize. Maybe down another 10%, Sara saved $105K, and don’t forget those low mortgage interest rates.

The fact of life is home ownership is hardwork, and the term sweat equity is real sweat. Even if you are a player you take risks with real dollars.

People are making huge profits today on all of the information people think they are getting from the internet. Home sales are brisk when there are very few deals to make. Why is that?

How can Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, or CNBC keep hyping the Real Estate market? We know prices are declining, we know the tax credit pushed up pricing, it’s all over the news, and statistics, but redfin is pumping out sales volume.

How can all of these internet educated people be making huge mistakes today? I mean today before the market has corrected from the tax credit. How did so many internet educated people buy into the tax credit? Why did refin stop taking offers less than 15% of list price?

It’s a game. redfin is hoping to be a player in the game. It’s not Real Estate, it’s just the sales. It’s all about volume because it has to be.

By David Losh @ 22:

You are correct by comparing redfin to Real Estate sales people because that is exactly who they are. These are sales people, long, short, and all together..

As to your point that their agents are not all that different, it would be interesting to know what performance Redfin requires of its sales people. I’m fairly certain that they have some standard, and that the standard puts pressure on the agents to perform.

BTW, thanks for clearing up the Sears/1980s comment. When you made the comment yesterday I had no idea what you were talking about.

wreckingbull says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 21 – Better cost structure.

I don’t know why you guys are getting so testy. You always tell me there will always be a place for a full service six-percenter. If anything, that should be a positive thing for you since most of the slick willies will get flushed.

By wreckingbull @ 25:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 21 – Better cost structure..

Now that’s funny! Surviving only on venture capital is evidence of a better cost structure?

I don’t know why you think I’m getting testy. I’d say you’re getting defensive or desperate to make a point when you point to Redfin having a better cost structure. But just out of curiosity, to get to one of Ray’s main complaints about Redfin, why do you think they raised their rates if their cost structure is so fantastic?

ivan says:

Tim,

I really appreciate the 98110 data.

wsuengineer says:

Tim,

I really like this kind of presentation. Glad to see what’s happening in my neck of the woods. However, I would love to see a heatmap if you can geolocate the sales data by neighborhood. It would be a cool redfin feature as well.

TM says:

Tim,
    An unusual favor to ask: On your charts, can you make the Tableau color spectrum vary from blue to yellow instead of red to green? Over 10% of men have some degree of red-green color blindness, and we cannot use your cool R-G Tableau charts (this one was particularly frustrating). Less than 0.1% have blue-yellow, blue-red, blue-green, so any color spectrum transitioning from blue would work much better for the majority of us. It’s a Y-chromosome thing; women are rarely colorblind.
    -A hopeful thanks.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: TM @ 29 – Good point. You’re the second person to bring that up. I’ve gone ahead and switched the color palette on this map to blue = “cold” and red = “hot.” I hope that helps. I’ll try to remember to avoid red/green in the future.

ARDELL says:

I have a request. Can you put some definer besides zip code? Maybe Zip Code and City?

ray pepper says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 19

Red Fin will survive if they can capture a significant portion of their income from Lead Generation. Sales Volume will NOT keep Red Fin afloat. You will see a merger of Red Fin at some point in the coming years……

Watch and Learn!

The big G is lurking and is always LOOKING!

wreckingbull says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 26 – Surviving only on venture capital? Did you really mean to say that? I don’t think you get to count “venture capital” on your P&L statement. C’mon Kary, I think you can do better than that.

What does it cost a traditional brokerage, like Windermere, to move to a new city? My guess? A lot more than it costs Redfin, especially as Redfin’s startup costs get amortized. I don’t really care much about Redfin the company, but I am quite interested in Redfin the business model. I hope we have 5 Redfins in 10 years.

Like I said, this should be a good thing for decent real estate agents. As the used-car-style agents throw in the towel, more full-service customers for the remaining ones. Even so, everyone will fighting for a smaller pool of commission dollars.

My own agent has already adapted in his own way. He refunds 100% of the seller’s commission, assuming you buy your new home through him with a traditional fee structure. He is 100% full service, and arguable the best agent I have ever worked with. Not quite as cheap as Redfin, but I get full service. He was forced to do this as discount brokerages started popping up, and has found a great niche.

By wreckingbull @ 33:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 26 – Surviving only on venture capital? Did you really mean to say that? I don’t think you get to count “venture capital” on your P&L statement..

I don’t think Redfin has ever released financials. I do recall that about a year ago they said they turned a profit.

But in any case, they raised $8M in 2006.

And then $12M ($20M?) right at the peak in 2007. Probably good timing on their part (sort of like Ford).

Oh, but wait, in 2009 they raised $10M more.

So perhaps you’re right. They aren’t surviving “only” on venture capital, because they do have some other revenues, and allegedly have turned a profit at least once. I’m sorry for exaggerating. ;-)

wreckingbull says:

Let me guess, you were on the “Amazon is doomed” wagon too, in 2000, when they got into a debt pinch? I worked for a dot-bomb who really did only survive form venture funding. No revenue stream or even plausible business model whatsoever. I sure see a difference here. Apparently others do too, given the 2009 round of funding you conveniently pointed out.

Pegasus says:

RE: wreckingbull @ 35 – Don’t forget the odds for venture capital. You get a good ride in one out of ten to twenty investments and the rest trickle down to minor wins to total losses. Getting funding in 2009 does says the most about the confidence factor…either that or someone is protecting their prior investments until they can go public and recoup their losses.

By wreckingbull @ 35:

Do I need to find stories about WAMU getting new capital? ;-)

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Pegasus @ 36 – Here’s a story on some of Paul Allen’s successes and failures.

Blurtman says:

Twitter has about 250 employees, Facebook has about 1,200. How’s about Redfin?

source:http://www.oftwominds.com/blogjuly10/supply-demand-ideas07-10.html

Ron Nelson says:

I Believe the Real Estate on the Eastside Especially Bellevue is largely stable at the Moment because of Foreigners.

Example I was at 24 Hour Fitness- I swear 1/2 the People on a Friday night was Middle Eastern, India, Russian.. was at trader joes and noticed that so many of the people Had foreign accents- I currently live in Renton and used to live in Bellevue, after visiting Friday and working out shopping it dawned on me that Bellevue Redmond sure has a Large Foreign Population.

Microsoft largely is the Employer that brings the foreigners into the United States. Microsoft it seems to me doesn’t do a very good job of employing the people that are not foreigners.

Culturally foreigners are probably just not as in tune with whats happened the Last several years? I’ve noticed or it also appears there largely the buyers on the eastside the last couple of years- they tend to have a lot larger savings than the typical american.

Just my 2 Cents..

RE: Ron Nelson @ 40

“they tend to have a lot larger savings than the typical american.”

Interesting point- I may look into that.

Blurtman says:

RE: Ron Nelson @ 40
    Ron,
    That’s generally the consensus from chums in Toronto and Vancouver – immigrants with money but also dough from related investors who are still living in the “old countries.”

And the H1B visa has been criticized by some as a scheme to import cheaper foreign labor and lower the wages of US citizens.

deejayoh says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 38:

they don’t call him the “accidental billionaire” for nothing…

As for Redfin, Kelman was interviewed a couple months ago and said they have doubled their run rate and are still profitable.

RE: wreckingbull @ 33RE: wreckingbull @ 25

Well, let’s be clear about the business model of Real Estate. There are four different areas of Real Estate; Commercial, residential, Property Management, and Business Opportunity.

You would be right, Windermere proved that the cost of moving into an area for residential sales is a dismal failure. Windermere, Coldwell Banker, Prudential, RE Max, survive by diversity.

redfin, and Zillow, are set up to sell residential mortgages. Think about the stats, charts, and data. The zestimate could be used, and I have to be careful how I phrase this because it gets these techy, selly, companies in a twitter, pun intended, to sell mortgages.

You are here on the internet hoping to get some insight into a complex industry. Without the input of the four components, Commercial, residential, Property Management, and Business Opportunity, you have nothing but a sales job.

When I started in the 1970s residential Real Estate sales was an after thought to Commercial Brokerage. People moved, in the new mobile society, to be close to jobs. Better jobs meant better schools.

Anyway, I could go on for a long time about Real Estate, the industry, and the people who make things happen, but Glenn is an outsider. Once the company is sold he will move on to the next thing. Right now some one would have to be brain dead to pay for the web site.

BTW selling a quarter to half million dollar debt instrument should take a little more thought than buying books, or groceries, on line.

Elizabeth says:

Oh Tim…..what a tangled web we weave – even if we don’t practice to deceive. Face it Bubble Boy, you are now part of the real estate industry. In fact, your very livelihood now relies upon it. It doesn’t mean that you’re not an excellent cruncher and interpreter of numbers, but this very posting from Redfin is just confirmation that you are no longer who you used to be. And HEY TIM – that’s OK! Just OWN IT and stop trying to pretend that you’re still the same old ankle biting, seal clubbing, ambulance chasing, real estate bandit that you’ve always been. In other words, you’re no longer impartial. If you think you are, your’re fooling yourself – and today’s posting from Redfin proves it.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Elizabeth @ 45 – I’m curious… How exactly does this post “confirm” that I am “no longer who [I] used to be”?

Especially when compared to this post I wrote when they released these numbers last month, before I had even laid eyes on the job posting?

Local internet real estate technology powerhouse and discount brokerage Redfin has taken a page from the NWMLS playbook, torn it out, shredded it, burned it, flushed it down the toilet, and written a whole new book from scratch on the subject of monthly data releases.

Not that I agree with the characterization of me as an “old ankle biting, seal clubbing, ambulance chasing, real estate bandit,” but I don’t see where you’re coming from with your claim that this post somehow “proves” what you think it proves.

Elizabeth says:

Because Tim @46 – the other items you refer to were written BEFORE you were employed by Redfin, a company whose very success (i.e. your job) relies on the sale of homes. If you think for a New York minute that people aren’t going to take ANY reference you make to Redfin as biased now that you’re working for them – you are not NEARLY as smart as I thought. Welcome to the jungle, honey.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Elizabeth @ 47 – You said: “In other words, you’re no longer impartial. If you think you are, your’re fooling yourself – and today’s posting from Redfin proves it.”

When I asked you how this posting “proves” anything, your response is that now I work for Redfin.

Logic fail.

Elizabeth says:

Well Tim @ 48 – we’ll see how that works out for you – you’re on the other side of the field now, my friend. Good luck to you.

RE: deejayoh @ 43
    It’s like the old joke ” How do you become a millionaire?” ” Start with ten million.”
    I think at one point Allen was the 3rd richest American and worth 40 billion dollars. Last I read he was worth 12ish billion.
    When he dies he’s giving most of his money to charity, provided there’s anything left by then.

RE: The Tim @ 46

” the characterization of me as an “old ankle biting, seal clubbing, ambulance chasing, real estate bandit,”

Hmmmm. Agreed. Sounds more like Ray or. . .Ira! ;-)

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Elizabeth @ 49 – Thanks for stopping by. If you ever come up with something substantive to say about what I actually write instead of just lobbing cheap drive-by ad hominem arguments out there, feel free to drop in again.

RE: Elizabeth @ 47

I don’t know. Numbers are numbers. There are enough competent folks here to adequately peer review any wild new assertions The Tim may make regarding big market moves. And if he ever utters “buy now, or be priced out forever” (without full statistical substantiation) this site will empty out like Safeco Field after the 5th inning of a Mariners’ home game.

Elizabeth says:

Well, if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black! Aren’t you the pro at “lobbing cheap drive by ad hominem arguments”? Tim, you are in a whole other world now. I’m taking bets on how long you survive. At the same time, I wish you well because maybe your success will help support our local enconomy long term (as opposed to just writing a silly blog, regardless of how many readers/haters you have).

All the best,
    Elizabeth

By Elizabeth @ 54:

Ad hominem:

An ad hominem, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: “to the man”), is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise. The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy.

Oh yeah I do that all the time. That’s what charts, graphs, and data are all about, isn’t it?

Elizabeth says:

Oh Tim – as much as I love this banter, I’m just going to leave this conversation by saying that you have taken a job with an incredibly innovative company. I think it’s a great fit for you – kind of like the Barefoot Bandit working for Boeing. I look forward to hearing how it all works out for you – hopefully well! Good luck!

ray pepper says:

Is Elizabeth new Tim? I love the fire…the banter…..Is it an old poster with a new name????? Dig Tim…Dig…..

By Scotsman @ 51:

RE: The Tim @ 46

” the characterization of me as an â��old ankle biting, seal clubbing, ambulance chasing, real estate bandit,â��

Hmmmm. Agreed. Sounds more like Ray or. . .Ira! ;-)

Hey now! I don’t club seals.

RE: The Tim @ 55

Glenn should get on his knees and kiss the ground you walk on. He owes you, a lot, for giving his site credibility. Without your support he would still be kicking the shins of Real Estate agents.

You’ve been a cheer leader, who brought the whole statistical reasoning of buying now, to the table.

The story of Sara is a case on point. Sara paid I forget but I think $100K for a property in Tacoma. It had sold before for I forget, $210K. Without batting an eye that looks like a $110K savings. Wow, what a great deal that was!!!!

The truth is you brought the stats, charts, graphs, and Case Schiller to the table for Glenn. That was a year or even two ago. These charts, graphs, and statistics, based on sales data, are making a feel good presentation of the market place we have today.

You were saying a year ago you expected residential Real Estate prices to drop by about 10% which is in line with Real Estate Industry hype.

No, you now work, or have been working, for the Real Estate Industry.

What I’m saying is that you may have over looked your Seattle Bubble brand. You bring much more to Glenn than Glenn provides to any body. He owes you at least the $250K as a signing bonus. Without you Glenn is just another ankle biter, seal clubber.

My fear is, that in this process you may lose your brand.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

[…] on local blogs in Maple Leaf and Wallingford here in Seattle, as well as the big sites like Seattle Bubble and SocketSite. As always there’s plenty of discussion on Redfin Forums, some of it more […]