Which Stats Posts do You Like? Which do You Hate?

I strongly suspect that the monthly NWMLS data dump will be released later today. Since I really hate it when I put a lot of work into a detailed stats post only to have it pushed down the page by the breaking news of the NWMLS data, I thought now might be a good time to solicit some direct feedback from you.

What I’m specifically interested in today is which kinds of stats posts you like, which ones you don’t care for, how often you’d like to see them, and what you wish I would do that I’m not doing at all right now. Or, if you’ve got more general feedback (like “I hate interactive maps”), that’s fine too.

Rather than putting up a multiple-choice poll, I’ll just give a brief summary of the kinds of posts I’ve currently got in a semi-regular rotation, and you can drop a note in the comments with your thoughts about what I’m doing or what I’m leaving out.

Seattle Bubble Data Post Roundup

• Stats Preview: county records pull of sales, foreclosures, etc. (example)
  • Cheapest Houses: top five least-expensive homes for sale (example)
  • Monthly NWMLS stats: median price, inventory, sales (example)
  • Monthly Redfin stats: map of $/sqft, inventory, sales (example)
  • Around the Sound: NWMLS stats for 8 Puget Sound counties (example)
  • Neighborhood breakdown: NWMLS stats for King County neighborhoods (example)
  • Housing oversupply: housing units / population comparison (example)
  • Affordability index: home prices, interest rates, incomes (example)
  • Affordable home prices: home prices that an income can afford (example)
  • Employment: jobs breakdown, unemployment (example)
  • Foreclosures: monthly Notice of Trustee Sale stats (example)
  • Quick Look: simple bar charts with minimal commentary (example)
  • Case-Shiller: long-term plot of Case-Shiller Home Price Index (example)

FYI, I’ve got a pretty full day today, so it is likely that when the NWMLS data is posted, I might not get to it for a few hours. Hopefully I should be able to get the data up here before 5:00 PM.

dancingeek says:

Like:
    Stats preview, cheapest homes, Monthly NWMLS stats, Monthly Redfin stats, Neighborhood breakdown, Housing Oversupply, Affordable Home Price, Foreclosures, and Case-Schiller.

Dislike:
    Interactive charts and bubble maps (Monthly Redfin stats, Neighborhood breakdown).

Neutral:
    Around the Sound, Affordability Index, Employment, and Quick Look.

stagger says:

I use a RSS reader, so having a post get pushed down the page doesn’t matter much to me. I don’t usually go directly to the site, but do go to the specific article pages to read comments.

As for the stat posts themselves, I think they are all good.

RE: dancingeek @ 1 – The interactive charts and maps are not so annoying if you use Firefox with Noscript. They only run when you tell them to.

Raj says:

I like your 99% of your data presentation except the cheapest homes. I usually check your data first and then go to comments to get an idea.

BillE says:

It’s all good, but I’d have to say the Cheapest Houses and Neighborhood Breakdown do the least for me.

Daniel says:

I like all except for the cheapest homes.

dancingeek says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 3 – That’s actually what my setup is. When I want them to run they are slow, hog resources, and sometimes don’t even work. When I don’t have them run, they show less information in the same amount of space as a static chart. I know The Tim likes the interactive charts, so they likely aren’t going anywhere, but I personally would prefer static graphs he used to generate.

Its All Good Tim

Keep mixing it up like you do, the blogs you generate are A+.

Hugh Dominic says:

I don’t like cheapest homes and the interactive maps take too long to load.

I really like the Seattle to San diego price offset chart, which I find very predictive.

Sniglet says:

I am going to chime in with my oft-repeated, and completely unreasonable request, for reports on delinquencies. Data showing the trends for 30 and 90 day mortgage delinquencies (on a per county basis) would be more effective than almost anything else to show an indicator as to where the market is headed. If delinquencies are falling, then we should expect to see fewer distressed sales 6 months or 12 months down the road (and vice versa).

Unfortunately, I am fully aware that this data just isn’t available, so I will just have to reconcile myself to that…

By Sniglet @ 10:

I am going to chime in with my oft-repeated, and completely unreasonable request, for . . . .

I was expecting “more podcasts!” ;-)

deejayoh says:

By Sniglet @ 10:

Rather than continually asking for the same thing, perhaps you could go gather it yourself and post here?

ray pepper says:

I don’t like Cheapest homes and I don’t like the Steve Tytler commercials on 97.3 during Dori explaining why EVERYONE won’t get the best rate…

Uggghh..

Sniglet says:

RE: deejayoh @ 12

perhaps you could go gather it yourself and post here?

Do you have any suggestions as to where to look? I have periodically seen reports that show delinquency data nationwide, but I’ve never seen it broken down on a regional level. Neither do I know of a source that has consistently updated data on this. I have only seen it in random articles.

CalEngineer says:

Love: Case-shiller, Forclosures, Affordable home prices

Like: Stats preview, NWMLS stats, Redfin stats, Affordability index, Cheapest homes

Would like to see: Something focused on real estate between downtown/cap hill and Greenlake, as that market seems to be completely different from the rest of King County.

Michael says:

Love the affordability index and affordable home prices

RE: Hugh Dominic @ 9

Ditto

Everett_Tom says:

By BillE @ 5:

Ditto

Everett_Tom says:

By BillE @ 5:

Ditto

Raj says:

Today I got an email from an listing agent of new community. Here goes the email

“we wanted to inform you of our EXCITING NEWS!

Hot off the Press!!! We are doing a sweepstakes of 5 levels of Purchase credits:

$12,500
    $10K
    $7,500
    $5K
    $2,500

For example: Whoever purchases 1st will be able to sweep the $12,500 credit: used towards financing, appliance package, upgrades, etc.

Let’s try to get you in soon so that you don’t miss a chance to be the top winner of our Sweepstakes!!

Please give me a call at your first opportunity to make your appointment!

drshort says:

By Sniglet @ 14:

RE: deejayoh @ 12

perhaps you could go gather it yourself and post here?

I believe the Mortgage Brokers Association has this info, but they charge for it.

Sparky says:

I like the Case-Shiller, Monthly NWMLS, Affordable Home Prices, and Redfin stats.

Some of the Tableau powered charts are interesting, but I find them slower to load than static images, so I don’t like them as much.

I usually skip the cheapest houses and the bad listing photos (which I admit can be entertaining, but I visit more for data than for laughs).

Leanne says:

I like them all and contrary to the above cheapest homes is a fave.

Chad N says:

I’d love to see a chart of peak-to-trough median pricing for each of the MLS areas in the tri-county area.