Where (Else) Do You Go For Local Real Estate Discussion?

With a full-time job, creating content for this site, and the numerous side projects I’ve got going on at any given time, I don’t seem to have much time anymore to spend trolling the internet for other real estate discussion. That said, I am curious where some of you have found the most interesting conversations about local real estate, other than here at Seattle Bubble.

Here are a few sites I know of, and my general impression of each:

Redfin’s Seattle Forum: I do spend some time on this one, but it’s generally on the clock. From what I’ve seen (and based on what I know from working at Redfin), they do a pretty good job of keeping the forums pretty customer-focused, actively moderating discussions to keep the spam and blatent agent ad-type posts to a minimum. Topics range from practical homebuying advice to amusing threads like the “Overpriced hall of shame.”

Zillow Home Buying Advice: I generally don’t spend much time on the Zillow forums. My impression from the times I have visited is that many threads are started by customers, but quickly become overrun with agents trying to fish for leads. One nice thing about Zillow’s format is that the agents and lenders are identified with little badges, so there’s no hiding their motivations.

Trulia Voices Home Buying in Seattle: The user interface style of Trulia’s forums doesn’t jive well with me. Also, like Zillow, most threads seem to be populated almost entirely by real estate agents. Here’s a classic: Is this a good time to buy a house in Seattle? You’ll never guess what the agents’ answers are.

City-Data Seattle Forum: City-Data is more general than just real estate, but the topics often seem to cover real estate issues, such as Moving to Bellevue for 60k-Family of three- Will it be Livable? and How do you afford it? (Living in Seattle). Since the site isn’t real estate focused, it seems that the realtor swarm has not descended upon these forums as much as the others.

That’s all I can think of… So where do you find the good stuff? Did I miss some obviously cool user-driven discussion sites?

Full disclosure: The Tim is employed by Redfin.

Not Patrick says:

Try PATRICK.NET — great news sources daily, and great forums.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

It’s hard to beat the P.I. real estate site for wide ranging discussions by three or four people with perfectly synced thought patterns. I like to check it once every 9 months or so to see if one of them died.

/sarc.

I Used to Go to Dr Roubini’s Site

But he went pay per view last year and lost all his national bloggers simultaneously.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Non-profit FAIRUS.ORG Stein Report Has Some Good Discussions On Real Estate and Recent Overpopulation Impacts from a National Wash DC Level

But you have to pick and choose from the Stein Report to find the scatterred RE related blogs.

Numbersusa used to have some blogs like that too, but went Facebook and lost all its bloggers too.

Chris says:

I think you mean “jibe well with” not “jive well with”.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I go here so I can get Ardell’s well thought out analysis of legal and ethical issues. ;-)

Note her last comment about if we don’t agree with her we have to throw the code of ethics out the window. Compare that to her comments in post 136 here:

ROFLCatDown says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 6RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 6 – Bah!

Ethics only matter when following them is in your and your client’s best interests. Every ‘real’ real estate agent should know this! What are you, some sort of goody goody?

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: ROFLCatDown @ 7 – You have to read the RCG thread too. Ardell is upset that about 200 agents don’t agree with her analysis, and is throwing up the code of ethics as being something special to her.

The facts are simple. Short seller and buyer have a secret agreement that allows the seller to stay, contrary to a document the bank makes all the parties sign (including agents). Ardell thinks there’s some sort of a duty for an agent to do a post-closing investigation to determine that the seller moved, because the agent signed a statement saying there was no such agreement.

EconE says:

That Trulia thread is GREAT!

The “best poster of the thread” award should go to Leonard Fialdini!

“Seattle is not in a “bubble” as most people think, I am actually tired and frustrated with the media about how the housing is in a crisis. Yes it is in most places, however, here in Seattle we are not. Sound Transit is predicting 1.5 million people to move to the Seattle area by the year 2015″

“Anyway, with prices the way they are right now, I would say that this is a perfect time to buy.”

” I believe the market will continue to increase over the next several years.”

“The NWMLS published reports that our values are UP 3%, thus still holding a positive market. ”

“you may be able to capture some instant equity. ”

Someone needs to create an agent directory website with links to all their respective “IT’S A GREAT TIME TO BUY!” comments of yore.

ray pepper says:

Every other site just can’t compare to the Bubble. Thats why we pay you the BIG BUCKS Tim…….Haaaaa.. What I wanna know is what the heck happened to David Losh and Steve Tytler. Two of my favorite posters.

Without those two the Bubble is missing something. I don’t know quite what it is but its something.

Kary, aren’t you and Ardell FB friends? Better be careful or she will drop u!

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I read and participate on the City-Data Seattle forum. It’s true that the realtor swarm has not descended upon there. Another reason is that the moderator deletes a lot of stuff that he deems to be advertising or self promoting. He doesn’t mind real estate professionals participating, as long as they’re there to provide information and to be helpful ( or to opine on things completely unrelated to real estate).
    Like Seattle Bubble, they’ve had real estate agents pop up and then disappear when their fishing expedition proved unsuccessful.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

By ray pepper @ 10Kary, aren’t you and Ardell FB friends? Better be careful or she will drop u!

Worse things could happen. She really is a piece of work.

RE: ray pepper @ 10

“Kary, aren’t you and Ardell FB friends? Better be careful or she will drop u!”

OMG! I didn’t even know they were dating! ;-)

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Scotsman @ 13 – Well, we’re apparently divorced now. She “moved out” (unfriended me) in the middle of the night! :-(

It’s too bad because I think in picking which sentence to quote of her’s I accidentally got in her way of thinking and made an assumption about the bank contract that is an unlikely interpretation. Now I’ll never know for sure.

ChrisM says:

It’s really sad that there aren’t more sites that buyers can go to. Patrick.net is too full of noise. Rain City Guide’s user interface is incomprehensible to me. I wish there was better representation in the Portland, Oregon area, as that is where I’m primarily looking to buy.

I guess my contribution will be Jim the Realtor:

It is San Diego-centric, but there’s a lot of good buyer info there.

Any other Portland-area readers (hi Leigh!) want to jump in?

Leigh says:

By ChrisM @ 15:

I guess my contribution will be Jim the Realtor:

It is San Diego-centric, but there’s a lot of good buyer info there.

Any other Portland-area readers (hi Leigh!) want to jump in?

Hi ChrisM, are you one of the “Guest” posters or just a lurker;O)? Sure wish those folks on Portland Housing Blog would take on some identity but then you know me…TMI some times;O) Turner’s blog used to be more informative otherwise nothing else comes to mind. I think there is just a lot of burn out. Personally speaking, this all got a whole lot uglier than I was predicting thus I’m so much out of my league so I just contribute bits of personal experiences, what I see happening in my ‘hood of Mount Tabor.

Leigh says:

Oh wait! is this the “Chris” that knows my spouse?!

Wes says:

Face it Tim, the Bubble is where it’s at. I’m contemplating moving from SF to Seattle so I set out to find the best Seattle RE blog this week. It only took about 20 minutes to narrow it down to this one.