Schizo Price Drops on Seminary Campus in Tacoma

Some readers may recall this sprawling, 13,000-square-foot mansion for sale on a 9-acre estate down in Tacoma from an earlier post:

As I pointed out to Curbed Seattle last week, the seminary campus recently had a massive $1,000,000 price drop—12.5% off the previous list price of $8,000,000.

This week they followed up one of the biggest price drops in the region with one of the smallest. Yesterday they knocked another $4,500 off the list price, a drop of 0.06%.

I wasn’t interested at $6,999,500, but now that you dropped the price to $6,995,000, I’m contacting my agent right away to write up an offer!

Wait, no. Nobody who might be in the market for a $7m seminary campus in Tacoma is going to be moved to action by a $4,500 price drop. So what possible reason could the listing agent and seller have to push such a piddly price drop?

Daniel says:

They clearly just corrected their previous typo…

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Daniel @ 1 – That would be my guess too.

Pegasus says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 2 – Sure.. just spoil the post. We could have kept this topic alive for days but no, you two had to ruin it.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Pegasus @ 3 – What about Daniel? ;-)

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I don’t get the “typo correction” theory though. Even if they had intended to enter $6,995,000 and accidentally typed $6,999,500 instead, why even bother to correct that when the difference between the two is less than a tenth of a percent?

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: The Tim @ 5 – Because that’s what the document the client signed said???? If I had made such a mistake, I would adjust the price to what the client signed rather than go see the client to get a new document signed.

Pegasus says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 4 – That is why I posted “you two”. Since there were only two posts before mine I figured intelligent posters would figure it out.

bobthemagicman says:

I am going to go with boredom, assuming that the typo theory isn’t correct (though I am sure it probably is).

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Pegasus @ 7 – I missed the “two” part when I was reading it. I was just assuming you were blaming me because I’m an agent. ;-)

My guess is the conversation went something like this:

“I need this sucker sold- the new yacht arrives in November and we have a year-end ballon on the jet. Drop the price $4,500 a week until it’s sold. I’m not just paying you to hand out cookies at the open house.”

Real World Express says:

They could be hoping to trigger any computer systems that watch and wait for price changes.

Essentially making it look as if it were “repriced” or “relisted” once more.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Real World Express @ 11 – Because you really need to take that extra effort to stand out from all the other $5M+ listings in Tacoma. ;-)

Blurtman says:

Blurtman Ministries is submitting an offer.

ray pepper says:

Hey thats a nice place. I used one of the bathrooms there once while jogging around the neighborhood. Nice view from the bathroom.

Hope one of you buy it so we can have a Seattle Bubble Meeting there. I will go back to the same bathroom since my memories are so positive from the last experience.

One Eyed Man says:

I wonder what the absorption rate is for 7 million dollar homes in Tacoma? Or would that be an imaginary number?

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: One Eyed Man @ 15 – I’m only showing one over $2M going back quite a way. That doesn’t sound right though.

Bryan says:

Hey Tim – is there a way to set up the blog for nested comments to hang together, like facebook posts? And to allow Likes? I have nothing to add to this conversation, but I would “vote” for the story that alighed with my thoughts….

RE: ray pepper @ 14

I’m not sure if your use of the bath room adds to, or subtracts from, the value of the property.

I mean, if we buy the place do we have to let joggers in to use the bath rooms? Is this one of those open and notorious use situations?

WestSeattleDave says:

RE: ray pepper @ 14 – Ray — Did you use the bathroom there the same way you use the bathroom at the Claimjumper?

ray pepper says:

RE: WestSeattleDave @ 19 -absolutely not! I was jogging….no pretzles…no cheese dip…no rotisserie chicken…….dang it now you went and did it….salavation………

not sure if you got my post in the past but I narrowed down my gut wrenching pain to a certain food item at Claim Jumpers. If you recall after eating there I would have to pull over on I5 with intense cramping and sweat pouring off my bald scalp.

I found the culprit…The Gold Rush Chicken Gravy and the cheese dip for the pretzles. I can handle the cheese dip by itself but if it crosses paths with the Gold Rush Sauce in my stomache I have less then 30 minutes until a catastrophe of epic proportions.

and there you have it…you ALL have been warned.

daz says:

RE: Real World Express @ 11
    Yep, that is what I think, and it worked! Changing the price most likely sent 2 notices to The Tim. Then followed up by lots of exposure on this blog.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Maybe We Should Call Ghost Hunters?

The place definitely looks haunted to me, maybe that’s why it isn’t selling….LOL

Chuck Ponzi says:

Charles Xavier and I were just saying that we need a West-Coast Xavier Institute for Higher Learning.

Graymalkin Industries is writing an offer as we speak!

deejayoh says:

By Scotsman @ 10:

My guess is the conversation went something like this:

Those Baptist seminarians do live high on the hog.

RE: deejayoh @ 24

I know, I know- but come on, have some fun. You concrete/linear thinking genius techies need to lighten up! Then again, check out the big 6:

By Scotsman @ 10:

My guess is the conversation went something like this:

You think they’d have cookies at the 7 million dollar seminary open house? Maybe if they’re cocaine laced, alongside the caviar.
    But more likely you’re right. They’re from Costco, served alongside those insipid roll up sandwiches.

splainin says:

I would guess that there is only one possible buyer for this property–McMenamins–and these price drops are part of the seller’s elaborate attention-getting dance. David Attenborough should narrate.

Blurtman says:

It’s really moot at this point, and we know whre the realtors are heading.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Blurtman @ 28 – A cash buyer could close tomorrow!

One Eyed Man says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 26

I tried to get the listing but they had a problem with my proposed marketing material saying:

“Jesus says everything must go before 2012! Free fishes and loaves with every closing! No reasonable offer refused! Buy now or be priced out for eternity!”

Blurtman says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 29 – :?) wetting pants LOL

Clueless_in_Seattle says:

Too bad the world just ended, otherwise I would have considered buying… oh wait

whatsmyname says:

Is it not strange that the listing and comments downplay the largest building in the complex? Despite its provenance, this is a commercial property suited for a very limited number of uses. Does it really tell us anything about the Seattle housing market?