murrcat says:

There are lots of other more beautiful and durable choices: Environite, Paperstone, Ecotop, Squak Mountain stone, Icestone, Silestone, Pental quartz to name a few.

mike says:

Most new homes in Seattle don’t have any of these. Silestone/Quartz is the new standard finish.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: mike @ 2 – Oops. I meant to include Quartz as one of the choices. Somehow it got lost. Drat.

Matthew says:

Quartz FTW.

redmondjp says:

What?

No concrete?

Another up-and-coming work surface option . . .

Erik says:

RE: redmondjp @ 5
    I like the concrete as well. I have never owned it, but it looks fun. I never had quartz either, but it looks the same as granite minus having to maintenance it. I also like the hardwood countertops that look like cutting boards.

Blurtman says:

Old surfboard or airplane wing.

mike says:

RE: redmondjp @ 5 – I liked concrete as an option until I did some research. More porous and brittle than engineered quartz and just as expensive to pour and install. You can also get some other engineered finishes with a similar look and better toughness. I was attracted to the DIY possibilities but for the time invested on a small/medium kitchen it’s quite a bit of work for not much savings.

I’d consider it for an outdoor/basement bar or entertainment area where people’s expectation for perfection isn’t as high.

wreckingbull says:

Over the years, I have noticed a pretty simple rule of thumb when it comes to material selection. The more natural the material, the better it will withstand time. Not in a wear or durability sense, but in a style sense.

Because of this, I would select maple butcher block. It has its drawbacks, but in my opinion, they are worth it.

Remember the laminate flooring craze of the early 2000’s? Yes, the same fate as the popcorn ceiling.

Christian Wathne says:

Quartz is the new granite

Concrete is stupid any way you look at it

I did my last kitchen in Kirkland in granite and my current kitchen (capitol hill) is getting redone in 2 weeks with Quartz

Erik says:

RE: wreckingbull @ 9
    I put laminate flooring in my condo in kirkland and it looked great. I think everyone thought it was real wood. It looked like real wood, only more durable. The reason that I put it in laminate was because I wasn’t sure if I would get a dog, rent it out, or sell it. I ended up selling it, and everyone loved the flooring. I think they use to make laminate look cheap and they used pergo. This stuff wasn’t that cheap and it was nice.

Here’s the stuff…

Here it is after it was installled…

David B. says:

Tile, thick slate, or whatever they call that material that chemistry lab desks are made of top my list for counter-top materials.