New Design for Seattle Bubble

As you may have noticed, I have switched the layout for Seattle Bubble over to a new design. The motivation for this move was to reduce clutter and make the site easier on the eyes.

If you have any problems, comments, compliments, or any other thoughts about the new layout, please air them here, or send me an email.

Oh, I’ll also be switching the forums over to a similarly-styled layout soon. I’m also noticing as I type this comment that the comment preview is insanely small. I’ll get on that.

Matthew says:

looks good!

Sim says:

Actually, it sorta all looks the same from my rss reader. Thanks though.

Lake Hills Renter says:

Wow, this is going to take some getting used to. I’ve been looking at Old Blue for a loooong time.

Cougar says:

Great staging Tim! It’s a real seller ;)

Lake Hills Renter says:

Uh, my gravatar worked when I posted, but now it’s reverted back to the dog.

It takes a few minutes to propagate. Check back in 10-20. You’re the third person to ask that, so maybe I should add a note to that box above the comments :^)

Lake Hills Renter says:

I saw where you had posted it takes a while, and it worked initially, but then went back. Guess I’ll wait it out. No offense, but I’m a cat person. ;)

John says:

The font and the bar color of the poll are hard to read.

John, could you elaborate on what you mean by “bar color of the poll”?

Lake Hills Renter says:

Woot. Image works now.

ray says:

I love It. But God Dang It. Why could’t there be a 500 Realty Sign between the John L Scott and Remax? With our Lil rider that says, “You Found This Home 75% Commission To You!”

Come On TIM! Lets reshoot that pik and let’s Prop one up!

Lake Hills Renter said,

Woot. Image works now.

Told you so :^)

MisterBubble says:

Thank you. My eyes have finally stopped bleeding.

laxtosnoco says:

I like the new look. Just one question, what is The Tim looking at?

John says:

Tim, the color of the bars for your “free home” poll is very light blue.

Olaf says:

Very nice. But the stock photo of sunny skies over the Space Needle is so… realtor. In the spirit of the realism in which this Blog excels, I’d rather see a picture of a Central District fixer-upper in the rain.

ray says:

I think Tim is trying to read whats on my Avatar. I’m doing the same look!

John, I agree, the blue gradient for the polls needed to change. How’s this?

LaxToSnoCo, in reality, I was visiting the Coral Castle when this picture was taken, so I was probably gazing at either the 40-foot-tall obelisk or the north star “telescope.” But on the internet, I’ll say that I’m straining my eyes to try to find the pink ponies.

Olaf, I agree that the header image could use some work. The pictures are ones that I actually took, and I went through all my pictures looking for something better and this was the best I could come up with for now. I’ll probably have an eye out for something better the next time I’m out and about the town.

biliruben says:

Nice.

EconE says:

I like it!

I’m with Olaf on this one. What a better say to say Seattle than a picture of the needle exchange or the steel mill over the Duwamish?

Roger says:

Looks good. A bit more padding around everything would be a big improvement.

Cougar says:

Welp, we couldn’t find that…try again? Nice Tim~ Welp?

B&W Nikes says:

Looks Great! Nice!

patient says:

I like the new “professional” look as well, though I just got a new widescreen LCD and the old style resized and filled up the whole screen nicely while this new one is a strip in the middle with light blue bars at the sides covering about 50% of the screen.

patient says:

I should add though that the old bubble style was an exception most sites do not resize to fit a widescreen.

Hey Tim,

The new layout loads much faster when I’m using my pocket PC (win mobile) to read the blog. Much improved, thanks.

Singliac says:

I like the layout. Much more usable. Cleaner design for sure. My only suggestion is about the banner. I like all three of the pictures, but I’m not a big fan of the dissolve between them. I’ll probably get beaten up for saying this in Seattle, but the banner looks like something Bill Gates would come up with.

Let me draw something up for you and send it your way (if you are interested). I will even do it for free since I’m such a huge fan of this site.

bitterowner says:

In the words of Borat, “very nice.”

Sorin says:

I would suggest getting rid of the banner graphic at the top altogether as it’s just visual clutter.

A sans-serif font might be easier to read for sidebar items like inventory numbers.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Scuba Steve says:

I haven’t pulled it up on my Nokia 9300i (Symbian) yet but it looks good from the computer. Does the avatar system require an email or send out spam?

Moe Ronn - Realitor® says:

Could you use a Arial or Helvetica font instead?

notabull says:

I’m in agreement on the font issue. The inventory numbers are hard to read, although not impossible. Otherwise, I think the site looks great! I’ll update with an avatar now…

Hi Tim:

I just helped my daughter with some homework on web site creation graphic arts. The course made it clear:

Keep the web site as simple as possible….minimum clutter…

Ease of navigation, use buttons are easy to find and use.

Consider the audience [bubble heads], so complexity isn’t going to intimidate most of us techie bloggers, but the negative realitors [we have positive ones too] and sarcastic investor moles with no technical education….go ahead, an th next update round, figure out ways to update the site so we can use it and they can’t….lol

Great Job Tim!!!

AndySeattle says:

Clean and easy… I’m also glad that you included a sample graph in the header. I think the data crunching is one of the key features that keeps us coming back.

rose-colored-coolaid says:

This is much much better. It looks much more professional.

Runs With Scissors says:

Where is the picture of the pink pony on the landing page? I would love to see it in front of a different home for sale each week, you know one of those “Won’t Last!” or “Great Investment Potential Properties!”

local Realitor says:

Nice!

brettro says:

it’s pretty!

Brian Yi says:

I hope people realize that this WordPress theme is called Cutline and is designed by Chris Pearson. Tim or whoever made small modifications to adapt it for Seattle Bubble.

Jess-Pumpkin says:

This is fun, kind of a myspace look for us adults worrying about more adult things (markets, mortgages, and money, oh my!).

singliac says:

Glad to see the change to a sans serif font throughout. Good call.

Brian Yi,

I’m not trying to hide that fact, as you may notice I left the Cutline footer link intact. It’s a great theme.

Lake Hills Renter says:

Why would he hide that it’s a non-stock theme? I doubt many people care, other than other WordPress theme creators.

WestSideBilly says:

Like the layout… though I miss the black on light-blue color scheme. Black on white gets old when staring at text 10 hours a day.

Brian Yi says:

I wasn’t trying to accuse Tim of hiding anything. I was just browsing through the comments, and I thought it would be nice to give credit where credit is due.

It is curious though that Tim would go through the trouble of creating a blog entry announcing the design change without at least mentioning where the design is from. If Tim had made the effort of announcing the design change, it couldn’t have hurt to mention the origin of the design. But, I already understand that Tim is complying with the licensing of the theme.

Also, I liked it better when the font was Georgia. :-)

disbelief says:

Nice clean look, and much easier to read / scroll through! Might have to change the images to something more depressing though if the market goes downhill in this new year.

John says:

Love the general feel, but whoever said it above is right… that banner at the top needs to go.

SunTzu says:

Great!

I’d suggest getting a photo of some soap bubble and superimpose that over photo of Seattle in the headbanner picture? Just a thought…….

Tom says:

The new design looks much better. Thanks!

Madrona says:

May want to make the content scale more dynamically do the browser window size. I like to view my windows not in fullscreen mode. If you try this… the content is rendered at 0px off the left margin. It would look much better if the post column was % driven as well as the sidebar.

Just a thought…

WestSideBilly says:

Tim…. We need bigger Gravatars! :)

tlw says:

Tim,

Did you mention in any post that you start monetize seattlebubble.com with google ad? Smart move! It’s about time with all the traffic this site is getting.

disbelief says:

Yep, as WestSideBilly said above, slightly bigger Gravatars would be great!

WestSideBilly says:

I’m assuming most of the ads will be for RE companies. ;-)

Everett_Tom says:

Looks nice!

I don’t know about anyone else, but I use the “Recent Comments” section to determine if there’s anything new to read.. could this be higher on the sidebar?

[troll] says:

f yr nw dsgn ctlly gts ppl t spnd LSS tm vstng yr blg, thn y’v dn grt jb!

Orion says:

I agree with Everett Tom, the Recent Comments is more useful more often than the Inventory, so moving it to the top like it used to be would be helpful. I understand you’ve got 2 columns instead of 3 now, so it’s challenging to arrange the proper hierarchy.

Also, it’s really helpful to have a link back to the home page at the bottom of every page, so after reading all the comments, the user can easily go back to the home.

TJ_98370 says:

Test

TJ_98370 says:

Test 2

TJ_98370 says:

Test 3

TJ_98370 says:

Test 4

Alan says:

I like the recent comments at the top.

Alan says:

I also like how everyone is using b@b.com as their email address.

Alan says:

Or maybe that is just the default image.

Everett_Tom says:

Thanks Tim! (“recent comments” now at the top of the sidebar).