Consumer Confidence Bounces Back Up in February

It’s time for another update of our interactive chart of Consumer Confidence. You can drag the time sliders below the chart to view data going all the way back to 1998.

Here’s the data as of February:

At 63.3, the Present Situation Index has gained 213% from its December 2009 low point, and rose 13% from its January level. The index is at roughly the same place it was in September 2008. The expectations index also shot up in February, gaining 23% from its January level, but is still 12% below where it was in October.

The Measure of Consumer Confidence is a Joke

Unless you think the S & P 500 stock market trend is directly tied to your confidence. See chart number 4 on this URL Link below:

When you try to compare Consumer Confidence to jobs data; its like putting a square peg in a round hole….

Speaking of jobs….the total labor force for Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue is still tracked by the BLS at a constant 1.75M, basically little or no change for several years…

Erik says:

I can’t see the graph

toad37 says:

When I shop for a Realtor to sell my condo I was thinking about offering 1% to list and 2% to selling agent. Is that realistic?

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I’m wondering how wise of an indicator ” Consumer Confidence” is.
    They were buying houses like crazy 6 or 7 years ago. They thought everything was Honky Dory. Happy Days Are Here Forever. They confidently elect George W Bush and Barack Obama, they confidently watch Honey Boo Boo and they confidently buy every product hawked by huckster pitchmen.
    We’re just a couple of brain cells away from Idiocracy. I don’t have confidence in my fellow Americans’ confidence.

mike says:

I’m actually surprised to see a rebound right after the payroll tax cut expired. Maybe it didn’t have much affect after all.

ray pepper says:

RE: toad37 @ 3 – why so much? whats it worth?

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 4

Yes Ira

Idiocracy is 2013….that movie hit the nail on the head.

Overpopulation gets so bad, they just pile garbage anywhere….the socialized medical we get is just phony placebo drugs to make us think they’re doing something….the politicians are worthless hacks, etc, etc

That movie is hilarious and oh so true too….

Erik says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 4
    I agree with this comment with the exception of Honey Boo Boo.

By Erik @ 8:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 4
    I agree with this comment with the exception of Honey Boo Boo.

Okay. How about Snookie?

Sparky says:

RE: Erik @ 2 – For what it’s worth, it doesn’t render correctly for me, either. I’m using IE 10 (desktop) on Windows 8.

Blurtman says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 4 – Lead us. Lie to us. Steal from us. We are unworthy. We seek to be oblivious.

And Honey Boo Boo is white trash.

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 4

“We’re just a couple of brain cells away from idiocy”

So you’re saying I shouldn’t kill any more of the little suckers?

When/if I achieve idiocy, will I know it? Will I care? Is Joe Biden the official greeter at the door?

TIA.

ray pepper says:

Where is Corndog?
    Where is Losh?
    Where is Kary?

This is disturbing.

banjo country says:

The beatings will continue… until you get giddy.

mike says:

RE: banjo country @ 14

Been meaning to ask – does your screen mean you live in Hillbilly land (Greenwood/Crown Hill)?

Erik says:

RE: ray pepper @ 13
    People started to attack Corndog(s) because he had built a pile of people that were angry at him since he attacked them first. He’s hiding out licking his wounds. I think the one that sent him out was when I told him he must have came from parents that didn’t love him and he is taking it out on members of SeattleBubble.

I think Losh is a little busier than usual plus he may be a little burned out. Plus he no longer has to combat Kary.

Kary said he is done because he only gets 5 comments.

No Name Guy says:

Wuhoo! Current Situation at 63.3…….just above the bottom of the post dot com crash back in ’03. Things MUST be getting better. ;-)

One Eyed Man says:

RE: Scotsman @ 12

“When/if I achieve idiocy, will I know it?”

At VP Technical Training Academy we believe the first sign is often when you hear them say: “Congratulations! You’ve just been nominated for the vice-presidency of the United States.”

If you’ve always dreamed of being vice-president, the difficult task ahead of you demands that you seek the technical training needed to live up to the legacy of the past nominees. We’re now offering a tuition discount for our initial qualification class at the VP Technical Training Academy where you’ll learn key phrases like:

“P-O-T-A-T-O-E”
    “Get a shot gun!”
    “I invented the internet!”

and who could forget:

“All of them. Any of them that have been in front of me over all these years. … I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn’t a foreign country where it’s kind of suggested, it seems like, ‘Wow, how could you keep in touch with the rest of Washington, D.C., maybe thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?’ Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.”

Contact your local Sallie Mae affiliate for a federally guaranteed loan program to help meet your tuition needs cause if you’re that big an idiot, you’ll probably never be able to pay back the loan.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

[…] Rising Retail Sales Retail sales were up in February, at a promising 1.1 percent (the biggest jump in five months), prompting retail analysts to be cautiously optimistic about the coming summer months packed full with promotions for holidays and back-to-school. Naturally, a rise in sales will and can be attributed to many reasons, but consumer confidence is also rising. […]

redmondjp says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 18 – Spelling ‘potato’ (and ‘tomato’) with an ‘e’ on the end was acceptable alternate spelling (since that is the original spelling), and the way that Mr. Quayle learned it as a child. The dictionary in my home growing up also included this spelling as well – I still remember looking it up.

If you’re going to use an example to make your point, at least make it a good one!