Blurtman says:

To eat and drink as if in the third circle of hell.

Astro Kermit says:

Not on topic, but I was unable to reach your site the last couple of days because I visit through http://seattlebubble.com instead of http://seattlebubble.com/blog/

The main site gives the following error:

——————————————————————————————

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@seattlebubble.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

——————————————————————————————

Astro Kermit says:

This also seems consistent with everyone else judging from the lack of comments in the past couple of days.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Astro Kermit @ 2 – Doh. I did a server upgrade over the weekend and it broke a few things. I didn’t think to check that. Fixing it now… Thanks for the heads up.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Astro Kermit @ 2 – Okay I think it’s fixed now. Sorry about that!

Erik says:

Thanksgiving because it is cheaper. For chistmas, I have to figure out what people want, buy it, and send it to their house. Thanks to amazon, I dont have to go to the mall or wrap anything. For thanksgiving, I may have to help prepare a dish at most. Other than that, I just eat and drink.

By Blurtman @ 1:

To eat and drink as if in the third circle of hell.

Does that mean “stay home?” ;-)

Macro Investor says:

No more holidays for the retail workers. On the way home from thanksgiving dinner, I was greeted by a huge traffic jam attempting to get to a mall.

Can’t people think of anything to do other than waste money on garbage they don’t need? Or perhaps it’s cheap entertainment to just walk around and window shop.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Macro Investor @ 8 – Retail has not had holidays off for a long time–depending on the company.

Back in high school my boss at Safeway mentioned that he gave me the 4th of July off. What he gave me was the 5th of July off, because the 4th that year was a Sunday, and for purposes of holiday pay if the holiday fell on a Sunday the next Monday was treated as the holiday. That seemingly odd provision was because Sunday at the time was somewhat new for grocery stores, and the contract provided for double time pay on Sundays (with a cap at just over 1.5x for the highest paid employees), while holiday time was only 1.5x the normal rate. So yes, he gave me the 4th of July off, if you ignore the fact that I had to work on the 4th of July. That was 1976.

But yes, for many shopping is entertainment.

Blurtman says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 7 – Actually we went out for Thanksgiving dinner, but then I made our own on Friday. Just the turkey breast, though, and everything else.

I don’t mind spending limited time with my relatives. 3 days max, though, with the New Jerseyans. Lots of yelling, as a form of normal communication. I actually get along better with my in-laws.

By Blurtman @ 1:

To eat and drink as if in the third circle of hell.

I’ve been to the third circle of hell. It’s right outside of Paramus, NJ if I’m not mistaken.

Azucar says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 11

Paramus? They have a pretty good mall there!!!

Astro Kermit says:

The travel rush is so horrible I would much prefer to avoid traveling altogether. Better to save the price hikes and rush to visit family during the off season when the weather is better.

Tips for aging parents: retire to a “destination getaway” like Hawaii or Las Vegas. You will likely have family visiting you for the holidays. Ask yourself this: “Where should I go for the holidays? Hawaii or Bellevue?”