Reader Question: Is FHA financing a seller repellent?

A reader emailed me with the following question:

My girlfriend and I put an offer on a house last week. The house was listed in the upper $500k range, and we offered $25k under asking with $10k in closing costs to be paid by the seller. We had 1% in earnest money included in the offer, are using FHA financing, and are pre-approved for $40k more than we offered.

The seller decided not to counter the offer. They said the decision was based on a number of factors. Our Real Estate agent confirmed that they would accept FHA financing and that this was not the deal breaker. The MLS listing also specifically states that FHA, VA and conventional financing will be accepted.

So we decided to submit another offer on the house. We offered just $10k under asking with no ask for closing cost, but kept the FHA financing.

The sellers decided not to accept the 98% offer or even come back with a counter offer. They said they do not like our financing and would need to see a conventional loan to move forward.

I was curious if you have any data on percentage of loans that close FHA vs. Conventional loans?

Thanks!

It surprises me to hear that there are sellers rejecting qualified offers just because of FHA financing, especially when FHA, Fannie, and Freddie currently account for more than 90% of home lending. I could see why a seller would choose a “conventionally-financed” buyer over an FHA-financed buyer if they had more than one offer on the table, but when it’s the only offer they’re considering that just seems silly.

Since I haven’t done a lot of research on this subject personally, I ran the reader’s experience by Seattle Bubble friend and Licensed Loan Originator Rhonda Porter, who shared these thoughts:

I think it’s unfortunate when sellers do not accept or seriously consider FHA or VA approved buyers. This can be caused by how FHA and VA used to be many, many years ago. An uneducated real estate agent may give bad advice, or a seller with a preconceived prejudice against these programs may feel that these loans are less qualified. They’re wrong. Especially in the King County area in this price range.

My average Seattle-Bellevue client is an FHA buyer who’s using an FHA “high balance” which has a loan limit currently at $567,500. Most have better than average credit scores and plenty of funds for down payment and closing costs. Some opt for FHA because they’re shy of 10% down or because they like the potential of allowing their current low rate FHA mortgage to be assumed in the future should they decide to sell and rates are higher.

Many FHA approved buyers in this price range are people who have been thinking about buying for quite awhile—they’re more educated about the process and have just been waiting for the right time for them to buy. There is nothing “subprime” about them. If I were the buyer quoted above, I would not give up. If I were a seller, I would accept an FHA offer over a conventional offer with less than 20% down.

Here’s a post I wrote a while back on this subject: FHA Financing Not Available on a Listing? BIG MISTAKE

I also consulted another good friend of Seattle Bubble, mortgage and real estate educator Jillayne Schlicke for input on this question. Here’s what she had to say:

I completely disagree with Rhonda’s assertion that there’s nothing subprime about FHA borrowers, even at jumbo loan amounts. I interact with hundreds of loan originators every year and I always ask them what’s the highest credit score they’re able to get approved via FHA. Currently lenders are still making FHA loans with a back end debt ratio of 55 percent. That’s principal, interest, taxes, insurance plus all revolving debt divided by gross monthly income.

With almost nothing down, in a declining market with unemployment still high, I’d call FHA loans still very risky from a lending perspective, even with a decent credit score. It’s no secret that all the marginal borrowers are being funneled into FHA loans while we unwind the housing bubble. If anyone wants to check the FHA default rate of your favorite Seattle lender, let me know and I’ll show you how it’s done via public records.

That said, I concur with Rhonda that sellers who are turning their noses up at ANY offer today are in serious denial. They don’t like the financing? Oh please. Unless this house comes with a magical pink pony that can poop butterflies these sellers are completely delusional.

As a buyer, the best move is to emotionally detach from buying THIS house and wait awhile longer. The buyer will be able to continue to save more money for a downpayment or for the costs of homeownership come AFTER buying a house like appliances, furniture and assorted other things that populate a house like children and dogs and then the cost to replace the carpeting but now I’m getting too many years down the road. Most first time home buyers engage in self deception (when they are using only with the emotional side of the brain) that the mortgage payment is the sole monthly cost of homeownership.

Some time will pass. More distressed inventory in the form of REOs and short sales will hit all neighborhoods soon and often. The seller will be in a much better frame of mind to say yes to that FHA financing and even lower offer, supported by lower sales comps. Or if this house slips through the buyer’s hands, consider it wasn’t meant to be, detach, and find a seller who wants to sell. Clearly this seller does not.

Thanks to Rhonda and Jillayne for sharing their insights!

What about you? Have any of the readers had experience (good or bad) on the buying or selling side with FHA financing? Share it in the comments!

I don’t see FHA being a significant disadvantage, unless perhaps there is some question about the condition of the house where the seller fears they might be forced to make certain repairs. If those concerns are significant, then the listing should probably not specify FHA/VA are allowed. Absent possible repairs, the differences in what the seller has to pay are minor in the scheme of things, and of course could be negotiated through a higher price.

BTW, I did a piece recently suggesting that buyers with funds for a down payment consider FHA because their loans are assumable. If we ever get into a high interest rate environment, that could make a sale of the house much easier.

I like the idea of including Rhonda and Jillayne in the post. They presented a well rounded picture.

ray pepper says:

I also recently had a seller (investor) reject an offer such as this. He believed his house was priced VERY aggressively and would sell in the coming weeks anyway. He also believed the home would NOT close due to limited funds being placed down/Buyer request for early occupany/ and after talking with the Mtg Rep for the Buyer I agreed with the seller. The Mtg Rep did not sell us on his clients either.

I advise this Buyer to ABSOLUTELY move on and find another home. Please be patient and keep looking. I have no doubt you will find a seller who will accept your offer.

May I ask what The Buyers Agent says as to why the deal is not being accepted?

Instead of contacting Jillayne and Rhonda (who know virtually nothing about this client) I think you would find your answer with the “Entity” representing the Buyer. All the facts about the Buyers or The Specific Loan Program they qualify for are most likely not being stated here……

Ken says:

Kary makes a good point. Maybe they would have issues in the home inspection to get FHA approval that the buyer doesn’t know about. Or the preconceived bad taste for FHA. Find it weird they would rather wait for another offer.

Ahau says:

Yeah, it seems like that seller has a deeper concern than what they are expressing, or something they are hiding. Kary’s point about repairs is a good one. Perhaps they listed the property as FHA approved but have since learned that it may be tough to get through FHA.

I purchased a home earlier this year (PSA signed in March, closed in May), with an FHA loan. It nearly fell apart because of FHA’s guidelines. The listing stated that it was FHA approved. It’s a townhome but it is technically residential, not a condo, because we own the dirt underneath (platted lots with 0 setbacks). However, the garage is detached and IS part of a condominium. After a lengthy review period, FHA told our lender that they could finance our house (because it’s residential), but not the garage (because the garage’s condo was not an FHA approved community). We had to remove the garage from our PSA, amend the price, sign a new PSA for the garage, and have everything supported by an amended appraisal (all this happened a week before we were scheduled to close). We had to pay cash for the garage at closing.

After all this, the same listing broker had two other homes with the same setup that continued to be listed as FHA approved. If I were him, I’d be very careful about advising his sellers to accept FHA buyers, unless they’re ready for full disclosure and an uphill battle.

RE: Ahau @ 6 – Thanks for that story. Apparently the garage is part of a limited common area–something I would not have even considered prior to your posting that.

Tim says:

Those sellers are either morons or they know there are issues which won’t pass the scrutiny of an FHA inspection.

Ahau says:

No, it is not a limited common area, though it has appeared that way on title, mistakenly, in the past. It is a standalone unit in a condominium with it’s own tax parcel number, legal description, and condo association, and I could sell it independently of the house if I wanted to. It took 5 revisions of our preliminary commitment before the title company listed the garage correctly, and they had to get a quitclaim from the builder in order to clear title to it.

There is one other possibility that is very likely. Buyer made a low offer. Seller didn’t counter. Buyer made a much better offer. Perhaps the seller has noticed that the buyer is bidding against themselves. They’re just waiting for the next offer! That’s the risk of starting negotiations too low. Absent waiting a significant time, it leaves you with no place to go if you want the property.

RE: Ahau @ 9 – Thanks. I have had one situation where the title company didn’t realize the status of the garage, but it was much simpler–just another unit in the same condo. If they needed a quit claim from the builder, I don’t think it’s something I would have caught, and I can see how the title company missed it too.

Ahau says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 11 – Certainly. I understand how my title company missed it (but I have less room for understanding how the builder and his title company missed it on every unit they built this way). I’m one of the FHA buyers that Rhonda was talking about. I’m not an agent, but I’ve been involved in real estate (title, negotiations, acquisitions, property management and sales) for seven years.

Ahau says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 10 – Good point! Once you’ve got them moving in the right direction, with no effort on your part, why not see if you can get even more?

D. in Ballard says:

RE: ray pepper @ 4 – Ray, I can’t tell you how often I read people asking questions on the Redfin forum that should be directed at their realtor. The do-it-yourself model works if you know a lot about real estate or have friends that do, but I certainly wouldn’t be asking the most important questions about my purchase from random people on a forum who don’t have all the information.

I should add, I don’t think everyone on the Redfin forum is a Redfin customer so this is not a knock against Redfin.

As for the story above, I’m surprised the sellers didn’t at least counter back what they wanted. I could see being hesitant to sell to someone who is only putting down $5,000 of earnest money. That’s an easy amount to lose if you need to. The small earnest money added to the other factors may have been too much risk.

RE: Ken @ 5 – FHA doesn’t have the same issues as it once did with home inspections/appraisals. In fact the appraisals are almost the same as a conventional–both are going to be picked apart by underwriters.

This is from FHA Mortgagee Letter 2005-ML-48:

“FHA has shifted from it’s historical emphasis on the repair of minor property deficiencies and now only requires repairs for those property conditions that rise above the level of cosmetic defects, minor defects or normal wear and tear…”

What FHA is looking for now (and has been for the last couple years) is “safety, soundness & structural integrity”

With conventional, FHA or any financing, when the buyer and/or agent submits the inspection response, with a list of “to-do” items or repairs, they need to be prepared for the underwriter to review and call for proof these items have been remedied–this is regardless of the type of financing.

Ahau, sorry for the trouble you experienced…. it has everything to do with your home being legally described as a condo… condo’s can be a pain in the butt and it’s especially tricky when you’re dealing w/a townhouse that may or may not be a condo… I recommend that buyers who are considering using FHA to buy a townhouse, to pull the last deed of record to see if the property is legally described as a condo. You would not of had these issues with a detached home. RE: Ahau @ 6

Ahau says:

RE: Rhonda Porter @ 16 – I agree with your recommendation. I had pulled the deed prior to submitting an offer, it described the house as a lot and block in a plat, together with a limited common element garage unit. I pulled both the plat and the condominium as well, so I knew what I was getting into and that the garage’s title was less than perfect. However, I didn’t know how FHA would rule on this until our lender called FHA directly for guidance. This was a rather unique circumstance (though not really, because I know of about 100 other homes with this same problem), but it does underscore the fact that one shouldn’t rely on anyone but themselves to make sure the deal they are getting themselves into is right for them.

I wonder how the preapproval letter was written… yes, they’re only as good as the paper they’re written on–but if the buyer is strong, the letter can be prepared well. I’ve seen some very weak preapproval letters that would not give the seller very much confidence.

Another factor is that the the buyer did make a low offer… apparently the seller feels strong about where the price is listed.

In my opinion, if there were title issues with the garage, you may have found the same results with conventional financing. RE: Ahau @ 17

ray pepper says:

RE: D. in Ballard @ 14

Funny, I just posted a question on Red Fin a few minutes ago. I chime in from time to time when I think of something worthy…

Exactly, the answer to this whole dilemma can be found with who was hired to represent the buyer in the deal and the financing. Anyone else here is speculative BS…Including me!!

Next time Tim call the readers Agent, then the Lender, and you will see why this deal died. There are 1000 moving parts and asking if this or that is “typical” will not explain why this deal died.

As I mentioned before my client/investor rejected the deal because he would not allow early occupancy but he was concerned about the small amount of money down. However, this was NOT a show stopper–moving in 30 days prior because Buyers wanted to get out of their apartment was.

Ahau says:

RE: Rhonda Porter @ 19 – That’s true, title issues are title issues, and that’s independent of the financing. The title issues had been satisfactorily resolved with a quitclaim deed from the builder to the sellers prior to our sale closing. The difference between FHA and conventional, however, is that a conventional loan would have financed both the garage and the house together, whereas FHA refused to finance the garage (for good reason). I think my point in all of this has gotten a little lost–namely that if my house (and garage) were on the market today and I received an offer with FHA financing, I would think twice about accepting it. Of course, I would simply inform the seller of the issue and how we would need to move forward (i.e. paying cash for the garage), but not all sellers would handle it this way.

Your point is well taken… I have never seen a property where a portion is considered a townhouse (non-condo) and a portion is legally a condo. I guess my point that I’m trying to make is that your scenario sounds a bit unique.

I can understand why you would refuse an FHA buyer, especially for your specific property, based on your experience. RE: Ahau @ 21

By ray pepper @ 20:

Very true. There are lots of reasons to not accept an offer, if your seller is not in a desperate situation. Bad buyer’s agent. Bad lender. Perhaps more promising negotiations with another buyer.

David S says:

I have heard it mentioned before that if you buy using FHA loan products it’s because you can’t afford a house with conventional loan products, therefore should not be buying.

Maybe the Government needs to do a better job of marketing it’s loan products because the future ability to transfer the loan seems like a nice option. I will have to inquire more about that.

By David S @ 24:

Not necessarily true, but in any case, the seller shouldn’t care about that at all.

David S says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 25:

By David S @ 24:

The last time I took a government subsidized loan it was student loans. That’s the last time.

RE: David S @ 26 – Some people prefer to do other things with their money than put it down on a house. Stated differently, choosing to only put down 3.5% doesn’t mean that you can only put down 3.5%. Again, I’d mention that the loans are apparently assumable, which could be another big advantage down the road.

I have clients who can go conventional but chose FHA because of the assumability factor for when they sell in the future. Plus, if the seller is being ultimately cashed out — why should they care what type of financing it is? RE: David S @ 26

ChrisM says:

OK, newbie question here, but why would the sellers care one whit how the financing is done?

Is the fear that FHA has more stringent appraisal standards, and that the sale would fall through?

Regarding buyer’s down payment, well does that really matter? I thought the down payment didn’t happen until actual closing? 3% down vs 20% down — what is the difference from the seller’s standpoint?

I’ve only ever purchased govt foreclosures, so have never done a “traditional” purchase where financing would be an issue. Thanks!

Since the assumption issue keeps getting mentioned, here’s the link to the piece I wrote on that (which Rhonda also contributed to).

RE: ChrisM @ 29 – There is a slight increase in closing costs to the seller for FHA, but it’s not that significant.

The earnest money probably isn’t a huge issue. It’s rather uncommon for a buyer to lose their earnest money because their financing contingency is most likely still in place through the date of closing. I don’t think $5,000 in this scenario would turn off many sellers.

buystocks says:

Perhaps they already had a bad appraisal (for the seller) via a previous FHA offer. I know of buyers whom were purchasing a home as FHA, but couldn’t because the appraisal came back a little lower than the agreed upon price (and seller would not lower the price). Via FHA, there was no way for the seller to reverse this appraisal (ie. get another one) until 6 months had passed (this is per the buyers, so not sure if true). But this would explain why they won’t take FHA offers if a recent FHA appraisal came back lower than your offered price.

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 31 – the increase in cost to the seller is really nothing–it was reduced in 2006 to the tax service fee (less than $100). There was a time when there were fees that were “non-allowables” for the buyer…those days are long gone.

RE: buystocks @ 32 – you have a good point regarding FHA appraisals, buystocks.

I’m hoping that the buyer who submitted his question to Tim will surface and chime in with more info. :)

By Rhonda Porter @ 33:

I knew the form said less than $300, but I never looked at it closer than that. Even $300 is insignificant on most transactions.

Jason Shutt says:

I was just thinking about sending in this question very same question.

We’re getting a great deal, with FHA, in the low 300’s. A family member just made a 98% offer far far far above our range and was denied strictly because of FHA.

Deny a 98% offer at this point in time, with no counter, because of financing? The 10K earnest $$ doesn’t speak to the kind of finances and probable credit they have? No other offers yet, says the Realtor. Good luck.

RE: Jason Shutt @ 36 – Seller’s need to wise up. If their agent is giving them advice to not accept FHA or VA because of stigma or data that was changed years ago–that agent is not serving them.

I’m going to try to pull out some stats–it’s only my data so I don’t represent all LOs or the hundreds that Jillayne has access to… but I think it will illustrate what today’s FHA borrower looks like.

FWIW I just pulled up my FHA transactions ytd back thru 2009:

Average credit score: 717
    Average loan amount: $369,000 (I thought this would be higher–about 38% of my FHA loans originated are “high balance” $417,001-$567,500)
    Average loan to value: 92%

This is what sellers are potentially turning away. I was also surprised to discover that only about 27% of my business is FHA.

S-Crow says:

I think I would agree with Jillayne moreso on this issue. From some of the loans I see both locally and nationally, FHA is clearly taking on borrowers that may be of less financial strength (but that is part of the mission of FHA too) and the refinances I see in particular (streamlines with no appraisal needed) are keeping some homeowners from falling into default. Some.

RE: S-Crow @ 39 – FHA no longer allows “alternative credit” and most bank over-lays have a minimum score of 620…rumored to soon be increasing to 640. (640 for streamlines w/no appraisal currently). FHA streamlines w/no appraisal cannot have the loan amounts increased–borrowers must either bring cash to close or the lender must pay via rebate pricing.

This is a nice discussion about FHA which I think most people have forgotten about.

It seems I do remember that the FHA appraisal process is tougher. There was a time when FHA could require a lot of work orders. The low down payment would also increase the lender risk so there may be more scrutiny of the file, where as some one with 20% may get a pass.

What I’m wondering is why the seller’s agent didn’t ask for more insight from the lender. That seems like it should be a part of the story.

RE: David Losh @ 41 – David, I believe it was back in 2006, FHA appraisal guidelines changed. Since then, they’ve adopted more conventional guidelines. They’re really not tougher… check out comment 15.

I would argue that a bona fide preapproved FHA buyer has better odds of closing than one using private mortgage insurance.

ARDELL says:

“Should we expect this type of response from our offers in the $500,000 – $600,000 range? Do we need to think about moving away from FHA in this price range?”

Just did a search of properties sold between $500,000 and $600,000 in King County in the last six months. There were 1041 properties sold in this price range.

796 of the 1,041 were Conventional Financing
    137 were FHA Financing
    10 were VA Financing
    87 were Cash Transactions
    The remaining 11 were other or undisclosed

So to answer the question, it looks like 85% of sales in that price range in the last six months in King County were Conventional Loans or Cash Transactions.

Of the 2,464 sold between $300,000 and $400,000,

1,404 were conventional
    700 were FHA
    83 were VA
    8 were USDA
    217 were Cash
    52 were other or undisclosed

So when you drop the price range to $300,000 to $400,000, the % that are cash or conventional drops from 85% of all sales to 65%. So it looks like the owner in that $500,000 to $600,000 price range has an 85% chance that the buyer of his home will be all cash or a conventional loan.

If you drop the sale price to $200,000 to $300,000, the odds of cash or conventional loan drops to about a 50/50 chance.

Required Disclosure: Stats in this comment are not compiled, verified or posted by The Northwest Multiple Listing Service.

ARDELL says:

P.S. The norm for Earnest Money in that price range is at least $10,000. Less Than $10,000 usually means you are hedging your bets. Perhaps there were several factors that were leaking weakness on the table.

By ARDELL @ 44:

Leaking Weakness would be such an awesome name for a band. Too bad I have no musical ability.

RE: ARDELL @ 43 – Ardell, any way to tell what the average down payments were with conventional based on the sales prices you’ve quoted?

ARDELL says:

There is, Rhonda. But I’d have to look inside every transaction one by one…so not really :)

An agent has to enter financing “type” when they record a closed transaction in the mls. So I can easily run stats by financing type. To do downpayment I would have to use the County Record of recorded mortgage and subtract the mortgage amount from the sold price…one by one.

Looking at $550,000 to $600,000 registered as closed so far in September:

Sold Price $599,950; mortgage 479,960
    SP $565,000; M $462,000
    SP $580,000; M $250,000
    SP $589,000; M $500,000 (new construction)
    SP $550,000; M $380,000

ARDELL says:

RE: ARDELL @ 47

P.S. Of course those five samples are not ALL closed so far in September :)

buystocks says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 45 – Sounds more like an adult diaper brand name.

ARDELL says:

RE: buystocks @ 49

Love that…because doesn’t it sound like the seller might have been “pissed” about the first offer? Could this be a case of an offended seller that we hear about so often, and not about the FHA at all?

ARDELL says:

Rhonda,

I have a closing today slightly over that price point, at $625,000, and the downpayment is $125,000.

Shelly Martin says:

We are in the midst of selling our home and I would never EVER accept FHA again. It has been a nightmare from the very beginning. It takes forever to get the inspector to the home and the buyer WILL expect you to repair everything they can possibly find. Our buyer is demanding we not only clean the gutters, but SCRUB THEM. We are in the process of trying to get out of this deal. We are trying to buy a home and move, but the delays have just scrapped the house that we are buying. No one is willing to wait for FHA anymore to close this deal. Meanwhile the paperwork sits on their desks at FHA. We have done all repairs within 48 hours of notification, yet still have no copies of the inspection, nor a complete list of what they feel is wrong. Our home has new siding, new rood (stripped down to the wood and new roof put on), newly finished hardwood floors, new sewer, new bathroom new electrical work, professional landscaping. Oh and Radon remediation with guarantee transferable to the new owner. But because they are mad that my 65 year old husband with arthritis wouldn’t clean the gutters for a young man. Oh, I might add they are NEW gutters.

james Dolan says:

shelly Martin,

It is the lazy sellers like you that give others a bad name. Quit taking short cuts when selling your home. People want their home as livable as possible and they take comfort in knowing their home won’t fall apart while they sleep . Have more pride and show your buyers more respect. Fha, conventional, va it doesn’t matter at the end of the day you are cashing out. Get off your high horse

RE: Shelly Martin @ -[Didn’t notice the age of the post before posting.] Even ignoring the fact that what you call the inspector is probably the appraiser, most the issues you’re dealing with are probably inspection type issues, not at all dependent on FHA. Do you not have an agent?