Dear Marketers: I Don’t Care About Your Press Release

Fair warning, this post doesn’t have anything to do with Seattle real estate, it’s just a random rant tangentially related to the work I do on this site.

Dear marketers,

Congratulations. You’ve located a popular, well-read site with frequently updated content and an engaged user base. Unfortunately, while you have demonstrated a basic proficiency in reading a list of popular blogs you found somewhere online, you seem to be incapable of basic reading comprehension. Allow me to explain, using short sentences and small words.

This is a site about real estate. We write about the Seattle area. That is all we do. This means that no matter how great they may be, neither I nor my readers are interested in your products, services, or accomplishments if they are not related to real estate in the Seattle area.

Based on the breathless press releases you incessantly email me—about two a week, usually addressed to “Whom It May Concern,” “FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE,” or “Editor,” but occasionally “Tim,” as if we’ve been pals for years—I can tell that you are clearly very excited about the company you’re pimping. Great. Good for you. Here’s the thing, though. I do not care.

In what universe is it a good marketing strategy to email the editor of a Seattle real estate news site your press release about idiotic adult onesies, a coffee exhibition, a Houston homebuilder, a spay/neuter clinic, or a comic book art show? How did you think that was going to work?

In closing, I would like to specifically shame the last twenty-five lame press releases I have received.

• HOMETEAM PEST DEFENSE RECEIVES THE RENOWNED “PARTNERS OF CHOICE” AWARD FROM DAVID WEEKLEY HOMES
  • News from David Weekley Homes and Boise Cascade
  • Temporary Museum for New Design 2013
  • UW undergrad company ft. Jon Brockman — “Swagga Suit”
  • Coffee Fest First Time Attendee program announced
  • Courage Campaign Applauds Brown, Calls Homeowners Bill Rights A Major Victory
  • ONCE ENERGY INEFFICIENT, 100-YEAR-OLD PLACENTIA FARMHOUSE, NOW A SHELTER FOR THE HOMELESS, IS HAILED AS A MODEL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
  • DAVID WEEKLEY HOMES CELEBRATES 70,000TH CLOSING
  • Mindy becomes the 75,000th cat altered by Lynnwood spay/neuter clinic!
  • RAYGUNS & ROBOTS! a Tribute to Classic Science Fiction
  • UW undergrad company ft. Jon Brockman — “Swagga Suit”
  • UpNext Maps for iPhone
  • Luxurious Tuscan villa for auction from Williams & Williams in Barga, Italy
  • DAVID WEEKLEY HOMES NAMED ONE OF THE LARGEST PRIVATE HOME BUILDERS IN AMERICA!
  • Cross District Three-Day Starets Tomorrow!
  • Bored To Death Creators kick off WebVisions Wed
  • Webutante Ball After Party + Prom Committee + More!
  • You’re Invited to trivago’s Meet Seattle Writers Day on June 6th!
  • News Release: 600 home community launch Sunday in Puyallup
  • HEY GEEK GIRL! a Tribute to Women and Pop Culture
  • CityClub to Host Colin Powell June 6th
  • Wonder Northwest May 26th & 27th Portland, Oregon
  • Dachis Group Launches Content Insight Functionality on Social Performance Monitor and Facebook Insights API integration
  • Greenpod Shipped to Seattle from Port Townsend for Earth Day
  • Sneek Peek at New Bachelorette Pad

Unless you want me to start a new blog designed just to shame you and the companies you represent for infesting the internet with such poorly-written, poorly-targeted, junk, you really should stop it.

Sincerely,
-The Tim

Random notes:

• Yes, the “Swagga Suit” dips emailed me twice — once on May 25 then again with a nearly identical email on July 16
    • While it was terribly targeted, the “RAYGUNS & ROBOTS” show does look pretty cool – http://www.ltdartgallery.com/
    • Much of the junk I get does at least sort of have something to do with real estate, but very often it is elsewhere in the country (e.g. Houston, Phoenix, etc.).
    • I have attempted to unsubscribe to some of the repeat offenders, but to no avail.

Ellie Fields says:

Ha, thanks Tim. When I was running a local neighborhood blog I would get the same kind of junk. At first I would write back and say, “If your news isn’t about [neighborhood], I don’t carry it.” It was surprising how many people tried to convince me otherwise. As if my local neighborhood blog would really improve by aggregating content from random press releases… the proves the point that for some people, the “Send” button on email should be really small and hard to find.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Be thankful you don’t get repeated phone calls for how “my website” (usually Trulia) can be one of the top sites listed on Google when someone searches for “[city] real estate.” It drives me nuts, especially when they don’t want to end the conversation when I tell them I’m not interested.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I’ve registered on the ” Do Not Call” list, and yet I must have received twenty phonecalls for a Congressional candidate named Tom Cramer. If I ever had any inclination to possibly vote for the guy, those phone calls have convinced me to vote for anybody but him.
    If he’d sent me twenty thousand dollars in the mail, that might have been a different story.
    Given that the real estate industry is full of hucksters, I also receive tons of email on a daily basis, promising that they’ll make me rich if I just send them money and follow their ” King of All Real Estate” program, or ” How to swindle money from those who have it.”

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Tim, these marketers don’t care about your post. And for sure theirs bots don’t care about it. The only people who will read your post are your readers (not marketers). Expect more spam. That’s reality and we all have to deal with it.

DMac says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 3 – I’ve done a lot of organic SEO work over the years on my own sites, and about 99% of those offers are complete BS. It’s quite difficult to get consistently ranked above the fold in many popular Google search terms these days, and their bot/borg is constantly changing their ranking algorithm, thereby often favoring their paid advertisers to rank higher in their organic search rankings. It’s often been said that anyone relying solely on their search rankings in Google for their online businesses are putting too many eggs in one basket, and I’d have to agree at this point.

Mindy the cat says:

Imagine having your operation all over the internets.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 4 – I think the politicians exempted themselves from the DNC list.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: DMac @ 6 – Probably, but since I don’t want to be on the first page of Google, that might be a good thing that they’re complete BS. ;-)

Long Duc Dong Torme says:

Dear Ms. Thetim, that is a very interesting opinion. There are many aspects to this issue. My Mom makes 43,000 Yuan, RMB each afternoon working on her computer. If you would like to do the same you may contact me at the email provided. So sorry to interrupt your dinner. Go back to it – you men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans; I eat more egg rolls any man ever seen. Oh yeaaaaahhhh, ….. ! But, please do not pass up this opportunity.

* Oh, I forgot to mention that by “working on her computer”, I mean installing a pro video card and camera and making super-terrific videos in her underwear.

Hugh Dominic says:

I would like to hear more about the Swagga Suit. Please post immediately.

whatsmyname says:

Dude, You could have passed along the sneak peek of the new bachelorette pad!

Michelle says:

Hahaha poor David Weekley Homes…

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Very annoying when people don’t give you the opportunity to unsubscribe, guess some folks are just so desperate to be in your inbox.

Steve says:

They send out those spam press releases because they work. And they have worked on you just now. Though you wisely didn’t link to their products, you just got a bunch of your readers to google for swagga suit and probably some of the other stuff.

Also, 9 times out of 10, the “unsubscribe” link is just a “this email address is good; please send more spam!” link.