Poll: How do you feel about the Zillow / Trulia merger?

How do you feel about the Zillow / Trulia merger?

• It sounds great, I'm excited. (4%, 3 Votes)
  • I'm cautiously optimistic. (4%, 3 Votes)
  • I don't really care either way. (82%, 64 Votes)
  • I suspect it will be bad. (6%, 5 Votes)
  • It sounds terrible, I'm dreading it. (4%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 78

This poll was active 08.03.2014 through 08.09.2014

Blurtman says:

Honestly, my reflex is to go to Zillow when I want quick info on a particular property. But I am just a RE voyeur and not in the market.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I wouldn’t want to be a Trulia employee. The acquired company employees usually come out on the short end.

Seems like a truly pointless merger, except that it prevents Trulia and Realtor.com from joining together. If they really are going to keep both sites going, then they’ll get very little in operating cost savings. But if they did operate them as one, then they’d lose part of their main source of revenue–agent advertising revenue. Some agents probably pay both companies, so they’re stuck continuing both sites.

I’m hoping some of the Zillow structure comes to Trulia. For example, Trulia’s blog area has become pretty worthless with agents thinking that an ad for an open house is a blog or that five or six sequential instances of copyright violations of news articles is five or six blogs.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

I’d be interested in how someone thinks this could be bad. They are websites. You can easily avoid them altogether by just not visiting them. It’s not like the government is forcing you to visit them (yet). And I can’t imagine that someone’s existing experience with either site has been so positive that it would create a huge hole in their life if the site entirely disappeared. So please explain how this could be bad.

They’re Just Redundant Make Work Real Estate Tools Out There

The dot com boom created a lot of web sites in the 90s and a significant amount of jobs with hardly nothing to do too. I hear “Plenty of Fish”, a national personals website, has two employees….the CEO and its secretary….the work is all automated.

wreckingbull says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 3 – I don’t think they are inherently bad, but I do think people are a little wiser after the dot-com bust. I am indifferent, but still slightly annoyed that we are dumb enough to pump these sorts of companies to valuations like this.

As far as I am concerned, it is just another example of Sturgeon’s Law.

Sally says:

I think the results of this survey are: Nobody really gives a who haaa about this merger. Let’s not bring it up anymore.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

Trulia just sold for billions, but they don’t know how to allow someone to edit a post–you have to copy, delete and then paste/edit. Based on that I think the Tim should be able to sell Seattle Bubble for at least $5 Billion. $7 Billion if he removes the time limit to edit.

NAR is apparently calling on agents to get better terms from these companies for displaying their listings. Apparently NAR doesn’t understand real estate. It’s in the agents’ clients’ interest that their listings appear on Trulia and Zillow. Why would they pay us? Winderemere and John L. Scott might be able to pull something like that off, but not smaller companies.

Erik says:

If Tim sells this website, I deserve a portion of the proceeds for the valuable comments I bring. I have gotten beat down by underhanded lawyers and software freaks for years. I want 20% for the pain and suffering I have endured. I put in work and I deserve to get paid.

Erik says:

Software people magnify software in their heads until they think it rules the world. If redfin, trulia, and zillow blew up tomorrow, I wouldn’t give 2 shi#s. I would simply find another site to look up houses online for free.

Blurtman says:

RE: Erik @ 8 – It’s kind of like a fraudulent security. It’s worth what everyone says it is until the music stops.

Rate this comment: Thumb up 0

RE: Blurtman @ 9 – The worst is Uber. That company doesn’t make sense on so many levels, but it has a multi-billion dollar valuation. Even with good management that company wouldn’t be worth 100 million. It’s the Occupy Wall Street of business entities.

Erik says:

Out of all those companies, uber is my favorite. They actually do something besides change pixels on a screen. I use uber and lyft frequently and have always been satisfied with their service. The other websites don’t provide any services I would pay for.

Blurtman says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 11 – Hater!

brrdog says:

People who use uber are hipster wannabes throwing money away when they can take a golly bus.