Post Storm Open Thread

This is your open thread for today. Please post random links and off-topic discussions here.

Obviously I was MIA all weekend because our house was without electricity for about 40 hours. Our internet connection is still non-functional, so I’ll only be able to post from work until power comes back. My wife and I stayed warm with candles, and stayed busy doing yard work, wrapping presents, and playing our DS Lites (I had the foresight to charge them fully Thursday night before we lost power). I was able to keep our tropical fish alive by insulating their tank with towels and putting an oil lamp inside the stand underneath the tank.

Let’s hear your wild storm stories.

biliruben says:

DSs?

Fortunately we only lost power for 12 hours, but unfortunately we lost the closest, biggest tree to our house. 100 feet and 4 foot in diameter. We got very lucky to only lose a fence, and not shed or house.

Anyone want some wood? Anyone have a big chainsaw I can borrow?

Anonymous says:

Didn’t lose power or heat, however I did find a pile of shingles in the driveway on Sunday, which prompted me to look at my roof from the street, which led to me to see the row of remaining shingles standing straight up on the peak of the roof. (sigh) Did some patchwork, consisting of sliding the ones I found ( more in a neighbor’s yard ) back into place and using flashing to patch the spots where I lacked intact shingles. Anyone know a good roofer?

biliruben said… DSs?

The DS is a portable video game system from Nintendo. I added a link for clarity to anyone not into video games like myself. The DS rocks.

synthetik says:

Bill,

If you need help, I’d be willing to come over and help you cut that sucker up.

We’ve had no power outages downtown that I have been aware of. Most everyone else I’ve spoken to have had some kind of power loss. A friend in Bothell says he’s still down and may be without power for another 4 or 5 days.

Yikes.

Lake Hills Renter says:

I’m still without power — 80 hours and counting. It was 37 degrees in the living room this morning. Everyone around us in a 6 block radius has power, but not my street or the next one. It probably has something to do with the top of the tree in my front yard laying in the street on the broken ends of the high voltage wires. They told us Tuesday before we get power. Fortunately there’s heat and hot showers at work. And thanks to KIRO 710 for the 24/7 news and reports!

blueskitten says:

We’re in Magnolia and our power was out until late Saturday… we were part of the north-of-Dravus outage that lastest approximately 32 hours.

My husband works for a company in Issaquah and had to trade off 12-hour shifts manning the generator. Their power came on late last night.

msrelo says:

Ballard must really be special… My power never went out.

deeplennon says:

Agreed, the DS rocks. There’s a pair in my household (of two) as well.

Matthew says:

PSP 4 Life

Banjo Willy says:

Interesting article on the top 100 markets. They project 2.8% price increases for Seattle in 2007, and only .8% increase for 2008. Us bubble sitters can sit, watch, and save some dough for our downpayments!

Matthew says:

Inflation alert! Highest increase in inflation since 1976!!!!

WARNING! WARNING! The Fed will not be cutting rates, watch out below!!!