Seattle Bubble Fundraising Drive: Day 3

Please Support Seattle Bubble

Well, after two days of the fundraising drive, we’re over 19% toward the $2,500 goal. I’d like to extend a big thank you to the 22 donors so far. I greatly appreciate your generosity.

The level of contributions is more or less in line with any similarly sized drive, as far as I can tell, but I will admit that 22 people doesn’t seem like very many when you consider that over 3,000 people read Seattle Bubble each of the last two days. (This is the obligatory guilt-trip part of the fundraising drive.)

Remember that your contributions help allow me to dedicate more time to bringing continuous improvements to Seattle Bubble. We’re talking extra content, spiffy tools, and useful resources. You are helping to evolve Seattle Bubble into an even more useful and valuable tool for the local housing market.

Just 100 people (less than 4 percent of the usual weekday readership) contributing $25 would be enough to achieve the entire goal. Of course, I completely understand that donating to a free website is not likely to be high on most people’s to-do list, which is why most public TV and radio pledge weeks take forever to reach their goals as well, despite having far, far, more viewers/listeners than a niche website like this. That being said, every donation is appreciated, and brings us that much closer to reaching the goal. Even $10 lets me know that you appreciate the effort that I am putting in daily to bring you the latest comprehensive look at the local housing market.

Thanks for your support.

TheHulk says:

Hey Tim,

Just donated a little money to the site. I hope it helps. You guys have been doing a great job!! Maybe you can help some bubblefans negotiate when they do buy a house and take a mere 0.1% of the whole transaction (paid by the seller as a closing fee of course) (:^)

TheHulk

vboring says:

you might find it more effective to sell a premium service, like calculatedrisk’s monthly newsletter or a branded product, like t-shirts and coffee mugs

i would probably buy a coffee mug with a seattlebubble pink pony on it. at least, i’d be more likely to donate $25 if i got a free mug out of it.

Garth says:

I worked with online auctions for a number of years, and inevitably the various message boards would be overrun with service providers hawking their wares some of the sites started letting them post instead of spending their time scolding them, and charged them for it. It happens here too, make some money off of it, charge realtors to post.

You know ray has made money by posting here, get some of it from him :)

Lake Hills Renter says:

Seattle Bubble t-shirts are a great idea. Just imagine the fun of wearing them to an open house. I’d buy one.

takenroad says:

Hey, Tim, many sites that solicit donations have a Paypal button posted prominently.

I’m an owner in Seattle proper (705), who bought a small “starter” house in ’93. Also, an EE. We are four now, and cramped, and would like to buy more room. I’m having trouble, though, signing up for 30 years of big mortgage payments when I have 8 years of comfortably small payments left on my current small place. I also note with dismay that my children won’t be able to buy homes in the city where they grew up. So, I guess I’m quietly in the camp that hopes for a significant increase in affordability.

I’ve wondered how you monetize your detailed, quantitative knowledge of the real estate market once the local market passes its bottom. Seattle Bubble, by the nature of its title is a bit time limited. Will you become a real estate agent? Publish a subscription-based investment newsletter? Somehow sell your services to Zillow, Redfin, or similar?

Anyway, I love the data, charts, maps, etc. Thanks!

Ray Pepper says:

“You know Ray made money by posting here, get some from him”

Actually the Buyers made the money! 500 Realty got pennies. We always get pennies! But, I would love a Bubble T Shirt and will proudly sell them at the Seattle Home Show, Tacoma Home Show, and Puyallup Fair.

We may become an advertiser here but our Comcast commercials take priority now. Thats where the advertisers want to devote money. Either way I personally like this blog and have enjoyed the people I talked to from here and the News Tribune. I’m much more active in the News Tribune since I live in the South end.

Ray Pepper