jesse says:

Dude… Perfect Strangers? Get out of the house man.

Whatever, Perfect Strangers was great TV. My only complaint is the laugh track / studio audience. I much prefer the format of most of today’s comedies that have done away with that brain-dead practice.

As long as we’re talking TV, here are a few of my more recent favorite comedy programs:

• Malcolm in the Middle
    • Arrested Development
    • My Name is Earl
    • The Office

I’m also a big fan of Pushing Daisies, though I don’t think it falls neatly into the “comedy” category.

Anyone know of any good current comedies that I am missing out on?

MrRational says:

Good current comedy? Look no further than many of the comments in this blog.

b says:

30 Rock
    Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

singliac says:

I was pretty sad to see Arrested Development go. I just rediscovered Malcolm in the middle, and it cracks me up. The Office and 30 Rock are my favorites right now.

Couldn’t agree more about laugh tracks and studio audiences. I think it’s still too weird for older people to watch sitcoms without them. I guess that’s what CBS is for.

Fripp says:

Just finished the first season of The IT Crowd. Pretty funny, but the real gems are in the background and Roy’s shirts.

singliac says:

Pushing daisies is also a well-written comedy, although I might feel self conscious watching it without my wife. It’s a little too “pretty” to watch with my buddies.

Alan says:

30 Rock

wreckingbull says:

Little Britain is my all-time favorite comedy series. It is sketch format, but I highly recommend it. The duo of Matt Lucas/David Williams cannot be beat. All episodes are on DVD.

Cougar says:

I love a good laugh, and I have this insanely loud belly laugh that comes from deep inside! My daughter has the same laugh and when we sit next to each other it cracks people up. You can hear us for miles!
    Samantha Who is good and Jay Leno’s monologue (especially now that he is on his way out he really lets it fly) Chelsea Handler cracks me up and Rita Rudner promotes herself as a comic call girl. Great stuff!

Ben says:

Weeds on Showtime is one of the funniest shows that I have seen (all available on iTunes).

I second the Little Britain recommendation.

Ray Pepper says:

Wow..I don’t watch any of those shows. All I seem to LAUGH at on TV is The Mariners, Sonics, Family Guy, Reruns of Seinfeld, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and Real Estate Commercials from the NAR.

When I really need to laugh I pop in the DVD of the Napoleon Dynamite, Hostel, and the Love story from France High Tension.

See what Real Estate does to you when you make a living at it!

MmmTiVo says:

Daily Show on Comedy Central

And I’m going to second Jay Leno’s opening monologues, they really have been quite good lately. He also seems to have more serious guests (Ariana Huffington tonight). I can’t stand the “my studio audience is huge and will clap at anything” style of Letterman anymore.

Sorin says:

Just to keep it on the real estate topic, I’ll throw out The Money Pit as a good older comedy movie.

HAVE ANY OF YOU SEEN “IDIOCRACY”?

Its hilarious. Its about America in the future and how over-growth totally destroys its intelligence through over-breeding of low incomes.

Its on DVD and was on COMCAST premium channels recently too.

SeattleMoose says:

HAVE ANY OF YOU SEEN “IDIOCRACY”?

Hate to “pop your bubble” (ahem) but that was a documentary……..

vboring says:

Kath & Kim.

it is an Australian sitcom that makes fun of middle class suburban Australians, their mis-use of words, stereotypes, and such.

it takes a while to get used to the accents, but fully worth it.

i found Idiocracy deeply disappointing. it had such a strong conceptual foundation to provide social commentary, but ended up being a loosely strung together series of site gags and crotch jokes.

biliruben says:

I found Idiocracy to be a strong social commentary on crotch jokes. I really, really liked it, and find myself thinking about it all the time.

Alan says:

loosely strung together series of site gags

Did you mean “sight gags” as in “visual gags” or “site gags” as in “location based gags”?

Honestly, many of the gags were site based.

vboring says:

yeah, i guess site and sight would be most accurate.

point being: lots of potential, very poor execution

redmondjp says:

The Big Bang Theory on CBS Monday nights is by far this past season’s funniest new show (you can watch episodes on the CBS website). Anybody that’s a Trekkie, has ever played a role-playing game, or has a technical career will really enjoy it.

Alan says:

Well, when you nearly escape execution because the execution machine is too big to fit into the stadium then, yeah, I’d call it a poor execution.

B&W Nikes says:

It may be yesterday’s news, but Ed McMahon isn’t laughing about the mortgage mess.

The Office, Earl, 30 Rock and No Reservations are my personal favs…I do like Malcom in the Middle…and have you ever seen Breaking Bad (Malcom in the Middle’s Dad is the lead actor)….it’s a very dark comedy about a dad diagnosed w/cancer making meth to deal with his debt.