Some Insight Into Why Real Estate Reporting Usually Sucks

Thursday night I attended my first Ignite event. Ignite is based on a simple premise: presenters get 5 minutes on stage with a 20-slide presentation that auto-advances every 15 seconds. Thursday’s event had 16 or so speakers on a wide variety of subjects. I definitely recommend attending.

While there were no real estate related topics at Thursday’s event in Seattle, last week there were 65 different Ignite events held all over the world. I was browsing through the worldwide video site and I came across this talk from the Sydney Ignite event: Why journalists lie – and how you can benefit by Inga Ting.

Since picking apart poor journalism is something of a pastime here at Seattle Bubble, I found the talk to be fairly interesting.

Maybe I’ll try to put together a talk of my own for some future Ignite Seattle event. For the title I was thinking I could go with something tame like “Making Sense of Real Estate” or perhaps something a little more colorful like “How to Play the Real Estate Game and Not Get Screwed.” What do you think?

I’m all for it. It could be beneficial, educational, and fun. But I’d go with the tamer “Making sense of Real Estate”. The “How to Play the Real Estate Game and Not Get Screwed” seems like a crass advertisement.
    And, essentially, all you can do is help people make sense of Real Estate. Buying a house is an expensive undertaking, and perhaps shouldn’t be seen as a game?

HappyRenter says:

What about a more technical title like: “An analysis of the Seattle (or Puget Sound) Real Estate market”?

Or Rents Went Down 14% in Seattle YOY

Per Businessweek and Seattle was the number one rent reducer in the country.

Joel says:

Since this is not real estate related the presentation should only tangentially be related to real estate and focus on being fun to listen to.

Cool idea. I might try to catch some of these.

Kelly says:

I LOVE her dress. Mondrian rocks.

Lora Delwise says:

Myself being a degreed journalist, you have touched something close to my heart. Since you are into exposing the biased media, you should be interested in these two news articles written by a long-time independent investigative journalist on the same topic —

and

“All of these networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) are closely interlocked with Bilderberg, the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Commission. How, then, can it possibly be claimed that the leading television networks in America, through which the overwhelming majority of Americans get their news, are independent?”

“Journalists who collaborate with The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer are some of the best known political pundits in the United States, such as Paul Gigot, David Gergen, William Kristol and William Safire. Yet, all of them belong to the Bilderberg Club, CFR or the Trilateral Commission.”

“The ideas of a ‘Media control’ and ‘Media monopoly’ that obfuscates the truth may seem ludicrous to a Western person. Nevertheless, as I have shown in the first part of the article, every major Media Corporation is interlocked with its supposed rivals.”

Then you may also be interested in Operation Spartacus, which is very well documented and is paid for with our taxpayer monies —

Taxpayer money used against the taxpayer — how un-original! History repeats itself yet once again.

This includes the financial news media, and the real estate media, as well, of course.

EconE says:

Realtor quotes/posts from earlier days of Seattle Bubble similar to the forum thread?

Get some of the really snide comments….you know…like some of Mack McCoy’s old tirades calling us all a bunch of curry eaters and scrubs. The angrier the better.

One quote per slide with full credit to the realtor.

Superimpose said quote over the the realtor glam shot.

The very last slide could show a quote along the lines of “A fool and his money are soon parted”

Don’t forget to wear your kevlar vest!

Ray Pepper, http://www.500realty.net on http://www.komonews.com/news/local/87033942.html?tab=video should be the proof to what the presenter was saying. The news people are out there just waiting for something to do.

Post cards and letters to follow.

patient says:

Inga Ting…”Ingenting” means nothing in Swedish, a coincidence or a hint?

MooseGH says:

EconE @ 8 – ouch!!!

Kelly @ 6 – what’s Mondrian?

Willy Nilly says:

RE: MooseGH @ 11

Piet Mondrian was a Dutch painter who generated a series of geometric paintings, primarily a white background with black orthogonal lines and periodic patches of primary color. His style is highly recognizable (like all trailblazing art or design). The reference to Mondrian is regarding her dress in the video. If you do a google image search on Mondrian you will immediately understand the Mondrian reference.

Kelly says:

@12… Correct.

It’s also a reference to Yves Saint Laurent who created the orginal Mondrian dress. From the Met Museum: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ho/11/euwf/ho_C.I.69.23.htm

Anon. says:

Okay,

Did I hear her say that the media is controlled and biased towards conservative views!?
    I’ve never heard something so funny in my life.
    The media IS biased. But biased towards liberal viewpoints. I’ve never seen anyone so in love with Obama.
    They are only NOW starting to question him.

k2000k says:

I didn’t like her comment about conservative biased either, but I dont think she used it with thinking of American conservative politics in mind, rather, I think she used it in reference towards businesses with profit being their primary concern. But then I am not a huge fan of using either conservative or liberal in conversation without the term being defined first as there are so many different meanings to those words depending on the context, local, and period you refer them too. You can argue that every American has liberal viewpoints given that we favor democratic representative governments with open markets, often described as classical liberalism, by that same token we can argue that every American is conservative, since the word comes from the latin word conserveo meaning to preserve, and every American largely wants to keep our system of government the way it was founded and open markets.