Take the Seattle Bubble Reader Census

I’ve designed a short 10-question survey for Seattle Bubble readers.

Fill out the census... OR ELSE!

Answers are collected anonymously. I’m not asking for names, emails, or any other contact information (I don’t think I can even see the IP addresses of respondents), just a little bit of demographic information and your honest opinions.

I’d appreciate it if you would take five minutes to head over to the survey site and complete the survey.

Thanks!

BelRenter says:

The financial questions are too precise for me to want to answer them. If you made the buckets less precise, they would be less intrusive.

singliac says:

I’m not sure how the survey is too intrusive when it’s anonymous.

Where’s the choice for J.D.? ;-)

The asset question should have had a second part. What was your net worth 2 years ago? ;-)

Civil Servant says:

Yes, I too would like to offer a counterpoint lest people be scared away before clicking through to the survey. I didn’t find it any more intrusive than your typical quickie reader survey, especially considering the anonymity. And, you know, it’s a favor to our gracious host.

Lake Hills Renter says:

This census is just a way for renters to be rounded up and placed into internment camps, where they will be incarcerated until they buy houses!

Sorry, channeling my inner wingnut. =P

BacktoBasic says:

It is very intrusive to do this kind of survy. Serve no purpuse other than …. Why just assume this is the place where average Joe who want to waste some time to complain Seattle housing price. This kind of topic will going on and on for decades. But using this forum to collect personal data is way of of line.

RE: BelRenter @ 1 – That’s why it’s totally anonymous. No email, no name, and as far as I know I don’t even have a way to look at the IP addresses of respondents.

RE: BacktoBasic @ 6 – So don’t fill it out. Sheesh. And it’s not really “personal data” when it’s totally anonymous, now is it?

HappyRenter says:

I’m curious about the results of this survey.

BacktoBasic says:

RE: The Tim @ 7
    It’s totally anonymous. Are you kidding me?

RE: BacktoBasic @ 9 – I don’t see how that would be funny. I don’t get what you’re trying to say.

The Danza says:

Michele Bachmann hates this survey…oh the humanity. Listen people if you feel it is a violation dont fill it out…it is just that simple.

It’s Also Common Knowledge

Almost all surveys contain an array of lies or exagerations, especially when there’s money on the line.

I.E., 80% of Baby Boomers tried pot, but I’m guessing around 0% of their job applications admit it….LOL

A friend of mine has a wife with a Masters Degree and couldn’t get a job in 2003, finally settled for a $10/hr job…..he told me about the only job available for college dean experience, but later the wife got mad, “you can’t tell them that, it’s embarrassing”….a year later, she suddenly now got a promotion, same agency, they tell me she works for $75K/yr….LOL

Believe everything people tell you about their income on surveys.

ray pepper says:

I filled it out but I now I feel dirty. Like I have been touched in a curious way.

HappyRenter says:

Tim, are you going to post the statistics of the results?

Daniel says:

By The Tim @ 7:

Is it? I bet the answer to the question below plus my forum posts would uniquely identify me and some others:

5. Where do you typically read Seattle Bubble from, and what is your current occupation?

RE: HappyRenter @ 14 – I do plan to post some sort of synopsis of the results, yes.

RE: Daniel @ 15 – I suppose if I were to individually pour through and investigate each of the 300+ responses I have received (so far) I might somehow be able to guess which commenter filled out a given set of responses.

Of course, even if I did that (which I wouldn’t because it would take forever and have no purpose), what good would that info do me? “Ooooh, now I know that ‘BacktoBasic’ has $50k in savings!”

HappyRenter says:

If anybody is curious about it: SurveyMonkey does collect the IP address of users but does not link it to the survey, according to their policy:

RE: HappyRenter @ 17 – Ah, thanks for the link. This is my first time using SurveyMonkey, and I’m not fully versed in their system. I thought I could get my survey done using the free account but then only after I posted it did I discover that they won’t let you see more than 100 responses with the free account. Doh! Oh well, at least now I can cross-tab.

Snigliastic says:

The “D” in J.D. is for “doctorate.”

HappyRenter says:

By ray pepper @ 13:

The IRS knows everything about you anyway – whether you agree with it or not.

Jillayne says:

I filled out the survey and don’t mind what The Tim collects. CR did a survey like this a while ago and posted the results for us, which were amazing to me, but then again I am easily entertained.

By Snigliastic @ 19:

The “D” in J.D. is for “doctorate.”

Yes, I know that, but after a J.D. you can get a Masters in Taxation. I think they even have some true doctorate degrees you can get of a J.D.

I think Tim should have also broken out MBA, because just as a J.D. isn’t a true doctorate, a MBA isn’t a true masters degree, and not very useful degree either–at least if it’s designed to measure competence. ;-)

ivan says:

I would like to know why we always have to fill out the city, state, country, and the zip code. The zip code by itself identifies the city, the state, and the country.

hungryneck says:

Wow, the hyper paranoid are out today.

query_squidier says:

I just wonder why “renter” wasn’t an option for “Which of the following best describes you?”. I had to put that into “Other”.

Hmmm… errr… uh oh, I think I just gave my answers away and I’ll easily be identified.

Be right back, I think Glenn Beck’s at the door.

buystocks says:

RE: The Tim @ 16
    woohoo, i just virtually stole ‘BacktoBasic’’s $50k. gotta go buy a house quick…

Pegasus says:

I think Tim is working undercover to gather intel for the NAR. He will provide Yun with a hot buyers list and Yun will use the info to coerce CONgress into passing the Extended Extended Home Buyer Tax Credit(really, maybe, the last time) by saying….”Look at all these ready suckers….er…..eager buyers. If only they had a little more time to get the credit.”

I knew there was a “reason” that there was no box to check for renters……

I thought you should have added a “homeowner” and “renter” box as well. Also, I sent a little message with my answers – does that mean you won’t see it if you are over your 100 limit?

The_Dude_Abides says:

Do I get a block of cheese?

RE: ivan @ 23 – That’s true. I just plopped in SurveyMonkey’s basic location form without really thinking about that. Sorry!

RE: query_squidier @ 25 – I guess I was thinking that “renter” was unnecessary since presumably (since they’re reading this site) most all the renters are in the market and would therefore be first-time homebuyers. But considering the fact that 30% of the people that have filled out the survey so far chose “other” I guess I should have added some more options.

RE: Julie Lyda RE/MAX Northwest @ 28 – I paid the SurveyMonkey pro account ransom money to view over 100 responses, so I will be able to see them all.

Thanks for all the responses so far, everybody! 500 plus and counting!

Astro Kermit says:

I filled out the census too.

It took me a while because I ended up driving out of town to a Tulley’s to make sure my survey results does not trace to the IP address where I comment from (which is from a a local Starbucks that has a fake Starbucks card account). I also used another laptop.

I am curious what the breakdown is on the savings of those who rent.

Astro Kermit says:

Kidding about the post above.. I’m not paranoid unlike some of the people here =]

ray pepper says:

RE: The Tim @ 31

500? Wow !!!..Thats a GREAT #.

The Other Ben says:

RE: The Tim @ 31 – Going to post the results?

TheHulk says:

RE: The Tim @ 31 – Wow, I think the NAR came up with something to spam this survey :) Tim you should have gotten a captcha in there somewhere.

ps: I filled out the survey too. It wasn’t too bad. Sure felt dirty when I did my taxes though.

query_squidier says:

RE: The Tim @ 30

I had the thought that your intention was for “renters” to select “first-time homebuyer” but I was thinking of my current state not a potential future one. Besides that, I felt dirty selecting “first-time homebuyer” as I’m a home-owning virgin and I haven’t actually bought anything yet. :)

BacktoBasic says:

RE: buystocks @ 26
    U do aware stealing is wrong and punishable, right? Monetary in old time and personal info in digital age.

Sottocapo says:

I filled it out except for the financial, I never do those parts of surveys, just like I never give the ages of my kids etc. too private.

One Eyed Man says:

RE: Sottocapo @ 40

If my wife found out I gave out any of that information in the survey she would tear me a new A-hole. But don’t worry, I’ve got an appointment with my doctor next week to check out a new drug in the link below that they say can help me.

Scott Weitz says:

Come on, Kary!

A JD is certainly credible that most PHDs.

singliac says:

By Scott Weitz @ 42:

A JD is certainly credible that most PHDs.

But apparently they doesn’t required good writing skills (passive-aggressive smiley).

The Other Ben says:

Alright, let’s see those results!

Blurtman says:

What do folks think about the Buchan Crossings development in Sammamish? The development has been stalled for a few years, with a concentration of homes, 15 or so, at the entrance, but that’s about it. Lots of lots without homes.

But the prices are still pretty steep for large homes on small lots with no privacy. Yes, it is new, but $900K and up?

Update: The survey is now closed. Thanks to everyone who responded! I received over 1,000 responses, so it will take me a little while to analyze the data and present it.

[…] been nearly four months since we ran our month-long census of Seattle Bubble readers, and it’s high time that I shared the […]