Real Actual Listing Photos: Take 1

I’m going to take another shot at a new regularly-occurring column: Real Actual Listing Photos. The idea is once a month I’ll round up some of the most bizarre listing photos from around the Seattle area and post them here, with brief excerpts from the real actual listing description, and probably a bit of snarky commentary.

The idea for this series stems from the ongoing forum thread Detrimental Listing Photos, which is where you should post your nominations for next month’s Real Actual Listing Photos post.

Enough explanation. Let’s get to the photos! Click the photo to view the Real Actual Listing.

4418-Meridian-Ave-N-98103“Nothing like this on the market today.”

Note that this is the primary photo. Hat tip to tomtom.

5405-33rd-Ave-S-98118“Instant equity for you.”

Also check out the spacious laundry room on that one.

20326-85th-Ave-SE-98296“loads of potential”

I guess the current owners never realized that potential because they were too busy watching TV?

8024-Interlake-Ave-N-98103“Charming and cozy”

At first I thought that was a pink pony on the fridge there, but it’s just some kind of pink bear. How sad. Hat tip to tomtom.

1617-E-Fir-St-98122“amazing views of the city”

Amazing. Hat tip to AD.

5106-S-3rd-Ave-98203“Built in 1905, this turn of the century charmer could be restored to it’s original splendor.”

The entire photo set on that one is worth clicking through. Yikes. Hat tip to Everett_Tom.

Let me know what you think of this as a recurring monthly feature.

Stop Laughing Tim

To get the old Seattle money pit even in this good of shape probably cost two annual salaries. Maybe that’s why they had no money left for anything else.

matsayswhat says:

This is an awesome feature…

Lol, that last one is “A Daimond in the Rough”… it looks like it belongs on ‘Flip this House’ or something.

CCG says:

$339K for that amazing crackerbox. Yawn, no bottom here, wake me in another 5 years.

BillE says:

Priceless entertainment here.

RottedOak says:

That first one is a particularly unfortunate choice because they had a number of other, more flattering photos that they could have used as the primary picture. For some of the other listings, the nicest thing I can say is that the listing agents are at least being photographically honest with potential buyers.

wreckingbull says:

Nothing screams ‘quality construction’ like exposed OSB on 24-inch centers. And at the low, low, price of $246 a square foot!

Herman says:

This is a great feature.

The first pic is great. It’s very conceptual. They are selling you the feeling and concept of modern housing. The details are unimportant. It’s a lifestyle choice.

disbelief says:

“Nothing like this on the market today.”
    Not at that price anyway!

“loads of potential”
    Wow, where do you find furniture like that?!

“Charming and cozy”
    top 10 ranking from the list of euphemisms circa the hight of the bubble period.

Btw, Great Idea for a regular feature!

ray pepper says:

RE: wreckingbull @ 6

u r too funny…………………

CCG says:

By wreckingbull @ 6:

His prices are in-saaaaane!

Slumlord says:

I have two comments:

1) I like the feature. It can be a lot of fun as long as we remember that these are homes of actual people.

2) Regarding the house with the “eye creature” on it, I have seen that place in person. The whimsy of the artwork is cool to me. In Fremont, it would fit right in. In Everett’s Lowell neighborhood, it is the sign of a brave soul. However, the pictures of the inside make me sad.

Jason Shutt says:

‘Like’

Hinten says:

Elitist making fun of the under-educated. Sounds like lots of fun to me!

BillE says:

By Hinten @ 13:

Elitist making fun of the under-educated. Sounds like lots of fun to me!

By that, you mean making fun of the agents who put the photos in a listing and try to sugar coat it?

PhinneyDawg says:

This could get mean-spirited and elitist real quick. Just my opinion.

RE: PhinneyDawg @ 15 – Well it’s just intended to be light-hearted and fun. As in “how does a house salesperson expect to sell a house when this is how they market it?”

RE: The Tim @ 16RE: PhinneyDawg @ 15RE: Hinten @ 13RE: Slumlord @ 11

In the forums maybe, but like the first photo shows something you may not be interested in. To other people tight channel links to clear lumber may be a selling point, it might be considered a high quality construction detail that is reflected in the price.

I’d like to also point out that, yes, there are bad agents, but there are also many good agents, doing superior work. What about featuring some positive aspects of Real Estate?

emilyadi says:

I really enjoy this one: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoyofRealestate#p/u/4/egDUJwko0OY
    Instead of posting photos, the agent made a horrible, horrible video. Why she didn’t mute the sound of the freeway, I don’t know.

BillE says:

RE: emilyadi @ 18 – Wow, nice shot of the freeway right outside your back door. I guess you can give the agent credit for being honest.

BillE says:

By David Losh @ 17:

I’ve actually emailed two agents only to tell them that their listings and virtual tours were some of the best I’ve seen.

alibeamish says:

RE: emilyadi @ 18
    with different music it would be a suspenseful and scary video