Poll: Luxury condos in downtown Seattle or Bellevue:

Luxury condos in downtown Seattle or Bellevue:

• I bought one. (4%, 6 Votes)
  • I plan to buy one. (8%, 13 Votes)
  • I know someone who bought one. (13%, 22 Votes)
  • I know someone who plans to buy one. (4%, 6 Votes)
  • No one I know is interested in them. (72%, 122 Votes)

Total Voters: 169

This poll was active 11.14.2010 through 11.20.2010.

Dave0 says:

I know someone who bought one back in April this year. He bought a studio in belltown that was bank-owned. He got it for $170,000, the lowest sale of any unit in that building since they originally sold in 2003.

ray pepper says:

Bellevue any day of the week, in my opinion, over Seattle.

Richard Thompson (Snarky) says:

Tim, I think your data will be skewed from this poll as I believe anyone directly buying, or thinking about buying a luxury condo is not the kind of person to read the bubble blog. It should give you great data about your readers though.

EconE says:

By Dave0 @ 1:

Looks like they’re even lower now that the unit next door to him is for sale for $142,595

RE: Richard Thompson (Snarky) @ 3
    Oh, I don’t know. Seems to me that Seattle Bubble readers run the gamut in their housing tastes, so I’m sure there are a few that would love to live in a luxury condo in Bellevue or Seattle.
    Not me. I like my space, and I don’t trust Homeowner associations. Like the old Groucho Marx line goes ” I’d never belong to any club that would accept me as a member.”

ray pepper says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 5

“I’d never belong to any club that would accept me as a member.”

Love that..Thx Ira!

So many people moved here in the last two decades yet so few understand what is the best about Washington. The low density neighborhoods. The quiet streets, fresh air, the walking around, the light weight job, the darkness to read in, the running, biking, climbing skiing.

A “luxury condo” makes no sense, in a place where you want to spend as much time as possible in a coffee shop or book store. A mall makes more sense. Expensive cars where there are buses. Gourmet restaurants when you can get salmon fresh for $5 a pound.

No one gets it.

The beauty is in the simplicity.

The wealth is in the living.

Snigliastic says:

By Low Ball Jones @ 7:

No one gets it.

Yes. No one gets it but you. Go buy yourself something special to celebrate.

Having lived in the San Juans for thirty years, sometimes you want a gourmet restaurant and a nice car.

voight-kampff says:

I almost bought one. I had a reservation, then backed out. Lost my deposit, but could have lost oh so much more. I love living downtown, so Ill probably buy a place here eventually. Hey… low ball jones can you help me find a “light weight” job, mines rather heavy.

WestSideBilly says:

I think there’s an area in between the first 4 and the 5th option. I like the concept of “luxury” condos, but I’m not sure what downtown Seattle has to offer justifies the relatively high cost and outrageous HOA fees. So, option 4.5, “I would be interested in them at a more realistic price”.

That said, most of my friends who’ve looked at moving downtown usually end up somewhere else for various reasons… but there is some interest.

RE: WestSideBilly @ 10 – Downtown/First Hill/Capitol Hill condo would be nice when you’re either young (social establishments and related activities) or old (proximity to health care), but when you’re young the luxury part is probably out of the question.