The Tim’s Favorite Seattle Blogs & News Sites

Once in a while I like to share some of my favorite sources for interesting local news, both real-estate related and otherwise. Now is one such time. So let’s just get right to it.

The Seattle Times Real Estate Section – This sub-page on the Times could definitely use a little layout love, but Eric Pryne et al have been putting out some really quality material lately. You can get an RSS feed of their real estate stories here.

New To Seattle – As the name implies, this site is written by a recent transplant to Seattle, William P. Barrett, who also happens to be a Senior Editor with Forbes. His posts are neither frequent nor regular, but are always an interesting read.

GeekWire – The current project of former Seattle P-I (then Puget Sound Business Journal) tech writers John Cook and Todd Bishop, GeekWire is a great place to get local tech news. It’s like TechCrunch with less noise, less ego, and a fun local touch.

Urbnlivn – Still a fan of Matt’s non-stop work covering the local condo scene. Having started just 8 months after Seattle Bubble, I think he and I have the two longest-running regularly updated local real estate sites.

The SunBreak – In their own words, “The SunBreak is an online magazine of news & culture. It’s a conversation about all the things on Seattle’s mind.” I find the writing to be a refreshing, independent take on Seattle goings-on.

Curbed Seattle – Real estate tabloid. Definitely falls on the “entertaining” end of the spectrum as opposed to the “useful” end, but there’s nothing wrong with entertaining well, which Curbed does.

What are your favorite local sites?

No room for Ardell’s blog?

Ray Pepper says:

Favorite local sites??????????? Damn I thought this was the only one………I rely on you Tim for EVERYTHING so don’t get a stroke on me and force me to look else where.

But, truth be told, I do click on Dave Losh’s link to his website. Not sure why…. but, I do…and I read it…Its entertaining if your into that kind of mind expanding thought processes……..

Scott says:

SeattleModern.com is another good one, mostly just pics of mid-century modern and other interesting homes.

EastsideReader says:

bing.com is local enough

ARDELL says:

Some Awesome Hyper-Local Blogs:

West Seattle Blog http://westseattleblog.com/

Kirkland Weblog http://kirklandweblog.typepad.com/

A few others I like

Seattle’s Big Blog http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/

Seattle Daily Photo is fun and easy http://seattle-daily-photo.blogspot.com/

RE: Ray Pepper @ 2

Thank you, and be careful of that expanding mind.

The other site got tied to a House Cleaning Business podcast I got paid to do, so I had to tone it way down.

The one I have up now is Buying Seattle.

Sorry.

It’s ironic you mention the Times first. Your Saturday Twitter Digest post always reminds me to look at that site, but your Twitter post seldom (if ever) posts a link to stories from that site. That it reminds me to look there is why I often post something from there as a comment in to that post, as I did this week.

lecadidupe says:

Many thanks to The Tim for the great links. I particularly like the New to Seattle blog, about which I’d previously been unaware. I spent the last weekend in Seattle looking at houses with Ira, The World’s Most Affable, Well-Informed, and Least Stress-Inducing Buyer’s Agent. I still feel utterly New to Seattle myself, even after having lived there almost ten years in the late 80s-mid 90s. That it really _is_ an odd hybrid of San Francisco and Minneapolis is the only firm conclusion I’ve thus far been able to make.

Just to be clear: While I am pretty affable, and not very stress inducing as an agent, there are agents out there, even on Seattle Bubble who are more well informed than I. I try to be well informed, but I’m never going to have the knowledge about construction that David Losh has, or the legal background Kary or Craig and Marc do, or the experience with foreclosure auctions that Ray does, or the years of experience that Ardell has.

whatsmyname says:

RE: softwarengineer @ 3
    Golly, you forgot Free Republic.

whatsmyname says:

Hey SWE; this is an interesting post from one of your sites.

“Guest
    Catholics do not follow any immigration law. To the Catholic, when Jesus said in Mathew to follow the laws where you live they disregard that teaching. Just as they are the only church who prays to Mary as a Divine being, interceeding for them in prayer, they do not recognize immigration laws. Mass birthing of babies out of wedlock is another Catholic Teaching that Christ did not teach. Carefull about the Catholic faith, some of it is man made. They do have there own Bible.
    Yesterday, 10:01:59 AM PST – Flag – Like – Reply
    Liked bysoftwarengineer”

I especially liked the “Liked by Softwarengineer” part. Did you know the Catholics have “there” own bible because the protestant one wouldn’t be written and available for another thousand plus years? Do you know who the KKK was originally formed to oppose?

whatsmyname says:

RE: whatsmyname @

“To the Catholic, when Jesus said in Mathew to follow the laws where you live they disregard that teaching.”

Was Texas started by Catholics?

leanne says:

Cliff Mass Weather Blog : http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

lecadidupe says:

By Ira Sacharoff @ 10:

Okay, that’s the one thing that bugs me about Ira: he’s just so gosh darn full of himself, perpetually going on about how women want to be _with_ him and men want to _be_ him (or is it the other way around?).