Real Actual Listing Photos: Dr. Zomb is Watching You!

It’s time for another installment of Real Actual Listing Photos. Once a month (or so) I round up some of the most bizarre listing photos from around the Seattle area and post them here, with brief excerpts from the real actual listing description, and probably a bit of snarky commentary.

The idea for this series stems from the ongoing forum thread Detrimental Listing Photos, which is where you should post your nominations for next month’s Real Actual Listing Photos post.

No particular theme this month, just a series of odd photos I found on new-ish Seattle listings north of downtown.

Enough explanation. Let’s get to the photos! Click the photo to view the Real Actual Listing.

2825 W Jameson Seattle, WA 98199“Casual elegance welcomes you…”

Come! Come and be welcomed by “casual elegance,” a.k.a. Dr. Zomb, who will apparently be watching you as you use the toilet and take a shower with no curtain. (view full size to fully appreciate Dr. Zomb).

1309 NE 55th Street Seattle, WA 98105“don’t miss this opportunity!”

So, is the “Handy Paint Cup” included in the $430,000 price? I need to know. Note that this is the listing’s only interior photo.

912 N 83rd St Seattle, WA 98103“Truly a remarkable joint venture of man and nature not easily found!”

I am honestly not really sure what feature of this “remarkable joint venture” I’m looking at here.

3010 W Jameson St Seattle, WA 98199“The bathrooms are comfortably customized.”

This photo brought to you in stunning 2-D ToddlerVision™. I guess that’s one way to avoid appearing in the mirror when you photograph the bathroom.

7541 11th Ave NE Seattle, WA 98115“Two separate entrances.”

Of course, one of them is blocked by a serving table, despite being so important that it’s the only part of the photo exposed well enough to see.

7204 32nd Ave NW Seattle, WA 98117“Completely Redone Craftsman in great Ballard Neighborhood!”

…and by “completely redone” we mean in 1950, when covering every possible surface with wood paneling (even the ceiling) was the hot design trend. So much wood paneling it apparently overwhelmed the camera’s ability to focus.

Let me know if you have an idea for a future “Real Actual Listing Photos” theme.

Matt the Engineer says:

There is a curtain! Look in the mirror.

K says:

What the hell is up with Dr. Zomb’s shower head? It looks like an antique phone jack. And does the wood stool come with the shower?

And forget the Handy Paint Can. I want to know if the house comes with pre-installed Burger King.

Is This a Polite Way of Saying “Dinky”

“..The bathrooms are comfortably customized….”

Lurker says:

What if the agent taking the bathroom photo was a dwarf, Tim? Maybe in the future you will learn to be a bit more respectful!

Mike says:

Perhaps the person taking the bathroom photo was actually sitting on the john.

Matt the Engineer says:

Really high ceilings. And countertops.

As Tim notes, using a low angle is a way to not be shown in a mirror, but the drawback is it doesn’t give you much idea at all of what a bathroom looks like. Bathrooms are often very difficult to photograph.

masaba says:

Tim,

I have a question for you that isn’t related to the listing photos, but that has been on my mind since I am probably going to buy a house within the next year.

I want to know how you think rising interest rates would affect home buyers in both the near term and long term. For example, let’s say rates rise by 0.5% – 1% over the course of the next six months. This, of course, affects borrowing costs making it more expensive to buy an equivalently priced home. However, as we have seen, home prices are extremely sticky. My best guess is that selection would improve for near term buyers (as fewer people would be able to buy if interest rates increase); however, I doubt that home prices would actually come down to reflect the higher cost of borrowing.

In the longer term, let’s say that rates rise by 2-4% (just throwing out numbers here) during the next 7-10 years, when it is possible that I could sell any house that I buy right now. How do you think that would impact the amount I am able to sell my home for when I need to move vis-a-vis the price that I pay given the current low interest rates?

Finally, do you think that this is even something that one should consider when buying a home?

Thanks

ARDELL says:

Sometimes I put my hand in the room and then photo shop out my hand and the camera in my hand. That has worked fairly well, and easier than trying to hide behind the shower curtain.

RE: masaba @ 8

Excellent questions, and exactly what I was thinking about today.

What if rates do go up, and the price of property begins to fall along these lines of affordability?

For the buyers today who have put down 20% every drop in price is less of a chance of being able to get out of the house. If prices fall by 10% or more I think more people would be motivated to sell.

My reasoning is that some people may think that holding on for another year or two will net them more dollars. If prices start to fall, again, there may be more incentive to sell and capture more equity.

patient says:

RE: masaba @ 8
    Extremely low interest rates is currently the only thing that keeps prices buoyant and buyers motivated. A significant rise would once again unleash the overwhelming downward factors.

Question Mark says:

Ellensburg Daily Record, Dec 10, 1949: Magician Says He Can Predict Dec. 17 Headline

Personally conducted by Dr. Zomb, the “Seance of Wonders” will rip aside the veil of mystery hiding the secret powers of witch doctors, voodoo priests, and mystics as practiced in exotic and esoteric rites.

Heh, sounds like Dr. Zomb would be right at home on the Seattle Bubble!

Partial View says:

Dr. Zomb’s house is all the weirder seeing as it appears to be a flip–it sold 4 months earlier for $377k. It looks like someone actually chose that poster for the staging.

RE: Partial View @ 13 – Maybe it’s to discourage people from using the toilet? ;-)

Partial View says: