Poll: What’s the best outdoor activity around Seattle?

What's the best outdoor activity around Seattle?

• hiking (42%, 49 Votes)
  • bicycling (9%, 10 Votes)
  • boating / kayaking (17%, 20 Votes)
  • skiing / snowboarding (9%, 11 Votes)
  • rock climbing (3%, 3 Votes)
  • something else... (16%, 19 Votes)
  • I'm agoraphobic, you insensitive clod. (3%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 116

This poll was active 05.05.2013 through 05.11.2013

ray pepper says:

well for 2013 the BEST outdoor activity will be screaming our lungs out at the #1 Ranked Team in THE NFL! Go Hawks! http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/0

Jacob Beaty says:

What no love for golf?

whatsmyname says:

I like to ride my bike on the busy street that parallels the dedicated bike trail 40 feet away. No matter how big the shoulder, I ride right on the white line unless I can find some guys with the same spandex as me. Then we just ride three abreast into the traffic lane. Share the road ahole. Tout le monde is waiting for me to win the big race. You may as well too.

ARDELL says:

Question for those answering hiking. What is the best place to hike if you only have an hour or two to spend doing it, near Kirkland?

Much appreciated.

By ARDELL @ 4:

Much appreciated.

St. Edwards State Park.
    Big Finn Hill Park
    Both have trails in the woods.

SS says:

Gotta go with Skiing. Not many large metro areas can boast they have three exceptional ski resorts to choose from within 1-2 hrs (Alpental, Crystal and Stevens).

Has to be hiking (and backpacking)! I did about 30 hikes last year in preparing for Rainier. This year, umm…. not one…I’m waiting for the snow to melt ;0)
    Just walking near the water is good for the soul and turning your brain off and one reason I live in Ballard

Azucar says:

By SS @ 6:

Really? Alpental “exceptional”? Stevens and Crystal are OK for terrain, but the snow is… well my guess is that you’ve never skied in Colorado or Wyoming if you consider Stevens and Crystal, with the the cold wet oatmeal they call snow for much of the year, to be “exceptional ski resorts”. They’re ok, and better than say the east coast, but they’re a long way from Aspen or Steamboat or Vail.

blurtman says:

RE: Azucar @ 8 – Yes, the snow at Crystal is wet and heavy, and a few runs are cut oddly. Baker is fine, but not a day trip. And Whislter-Blackomb is great. Beats Michigan skiing.

AndySeattle says:

Running? You can do it all year round and the views are exceptional!

SS says:

By Azucar @ 8:

By SS @ 6:

Again, my main point was that Seattle is one of just a few large metro cities that has great terrain available WITHIN a 1-2 hrs drive. Neither Apsen nor Steamboat is within a 2 hr drive. Vail yes, but I never claimed WA ski resorts were the best in the U.S. There are many other resorts that I would consider to be better but they don’t have the convenience (travel distance) and you’ll pay MUCH more per ticket or seasons pass.

blurtman says:

RE: SS @ 11 – Stevens is all right. For families, young boarders, or just for a quick drive, Snoqualmie is convenient. Depends on your reference and your needs.

Peter Witting says:

Mowing the lawn. Visting the Locks. Drinks on the deck at Ray’s.

…and hiking.

Ray pepper says:

RE: Peter Witting @ 14 – no drinking on my deck! I’ve seen people fall over the backyard railings on King 5. Then I’d have to clean up the mess

Ray pepper says:

RE: AndySeattle @ 10 – running? The hell with that. Nurse Ray is here to tell u that I’ve seen more then 1 uterus fall out and so many bad knees and ankles from runners! Being a spectator can b glorious!

Azucar says:

RE: Ray pepper @ 16

“I’ve seen more then 1 uterus fall out… Being a spectator can b glorious!”

Yes, it sounds really nice! Yikes…. Excuse me, ma’am, but I think you dropped your uterus.

corndogs says:

Hipster hunting is the best outdoor activity, you don’t even have to leave town. There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as the sound of worn out converse slapping pavement when you give em a 30 second head start..