Blurtman says:

This survey discriminates against underground dwellers, and they are not too happy about it.

Splits are two stories, but they have other issues. In Seattle we have basements that are partially below ground, and open on one side, like on a hill side.

Blockers are usually one story, as well as Mid Century Moderns.

It depends on the style.

David B. says:

I voted for “one-level with basement” simply because I like homes with basements.

Mike says:

It all depends on circumstance. I would never have really cared before, but if you end up with an extended period carring for a parent or child with a disability then all of the sudden not having to hike up and down stairs to get to bedrooms or worse, just to get the front door, looks really appealing. Not sure why you wouldn’t want to have a basement as well though, assuming it isn’t where the bedrooms are it is just bonus space in the nice to have category.

It is probably one of the bigger benefits of the eastside is that if you accept you’re not going to live in a Pottery Barn or West Elm catalog you can get a much more functional layout for actually living in as you or your family age.

Erik says:

RE: Mike @ 4
    I live on the Eastside and West Elm is my favorite store. Not really sure what you mean here Mike.

Mike says:

RE: Erik @ 5 – Just indicative of what you’d look to get if you’re furnishing a craftsman/tudor or a modern box, which is what a lot of Seattle homes are outside of a few areas north of Northgate. West Elm was probably a bad example since that works as well as anything in the mid-century homes. Got burned in our first Seattle house by a “light filled craftsman” that involved way too many stairs for our family members and was better looked at than lived in. Vowed never to get “pottery barned” again and love having a much more function, if less quaint, rambler now.

Erik says:

RE: Mike @ 6
    I plan to hire someone to stage my place before I sell it so I can get a good price. I guess that is a similar to your situation. My place is pretty empty because furniture and decor is so expensive.

ARDELL says:

RE: David Losh @ 2

The traditional definition of a “2-story” is that there are bedrooms above the kitchen level with a staircase up to at least 3 bedrooms. The master can be on the main or on that “2nd floor”. A split is not a 2:story” home.

I recently saw a “front to back split” on The Eastside which is quite rare in The Pacific Northwest. Basically it is The Eastside version of a 1 1/2 story, even though there are 4 bedrooms up. Pretty sure it was listed as a 2 story given the options of style do not include this unusual floor plan.

RE: ARDELL @ 8

No it’s not. The kitchen can be on the top floor, or in the basement for that matter.

The rest of your comment also doesn’t make any sense. It declares the split as a two story.

Peter Witting says:

RE: David Losh @ 9RE: ARDELL @ 8

However you want to define it, I think we can all agree that a split-entry is a horrendous layout no matter where the kitchen and bedrooms are located.

Cue up Tim’s picture of the entryway filled with shoes…

RE: Peter Witting @ 10

I think town houses are more horrendous, and they are three stories.