Weekly Open Thread (2014-08-11)

NOTE: If you are subscribed to Seattle Bubble’s RSS feed and are seeing these open threads in the feed, please switch to our official feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/SeattleBubble  Thanks!

Here is your open thread for the week of August 11th, 2014. You may post random links and off-topic discussions here. Also, if you have an idea or a topic you’d like to see covered in an article, please make it known.

Note: The comment limit in open threads is 25 comments per person.

NOTICE: If you have comments to make about politics or economics that do not somehow directly relate to Seattle-area real estate, they may be posted in the current Politics & Economics Open Thread.  If you post such comments here, they will be moved there.

By pfft @ 46:

“Last year I paid under $240 a month. This year I’m paying over $430 a month.”

if that is true you must have had the worst junk insurance that money could buy.

“the only other significant difference is the lack of a lifetime cap.”

oh just that?

So I repeat, premiums have not doubled you are just misleading. why is that?

How many times do we have to go over this? Washington did not allow junk policies. That is just Democratic politician BS that you have fallen for because you’re an Obamabot (and a troll). The news reports I linked indicate that my situation isn’t that unique. My wife’s experience was similar too, for what that is worth. Slightly younger and female. This has been in the news repeatedly. It’s even been given a term–rate shock. Then there’s doctor-shock, another wonderful feature of Obamacare where you have to change doctors too. So why aren’t you bringing up Obama’s lies? He at least has admitted he’s a liar on this topic, but you seem to want to call me a liar when Obama has admitted that he’s the liar. Oh wait, you’re an Obamabot–that explains it.

That the only other significant difference besides a higher deductible was no lifetime cap means just that! Now quit being an A-hole and shut up. You either don’t know what you’re talking about or you’re being a troll. Oh wait, it’s both.

Here’s a story about what employers are facing. I’ve mentioned before that our Democratic Insurance Commissioner wouldn’t allow this practice, because he’s promoting the Obamacare BS, but in some other states employers were rushing to renew early to avoid huge increases in insurance premiums. That’s delayed their day for compliance by about a year, but they did it to avoid huge increases in premiums.

Blurtman says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 1 – I think the idea is that you pay for the costs of insuring other folks and that drug companies and insurance companies continue to get paid. Had it been presented that way, it likely wouldn’t have made it.

RE: Blurtman @ 3 – Early reports are that the insurance companies are doing well with the changes–more profits. I can see a bit of justification for that initially, because they had to price with uncertainty, particularly in the individual market. Hopefully that will reverse. I don’t thin we’re anywhere near the end of things adjusting, particularly when rates typically only adjust once a year.

Blurtman says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 4 – I am pretty sure that all parties to the creation of the program will do well. Just consider it to be a tax increase.

RE: Blurtman @ 5 – Agreed. Still, the service providers and drug companies should be the main beneficiaries even during the transition period. There is more risk to the insurance companies because they cannot control their risk.

By Kary L. Krismer @ 1:

By pfft @ 46:

“Last year I paid under $240 a month. This year I’m paying over $430 a month.”

“the only other significant difference is the lack of a lifetime cap.”

oh just that?

So I repeat, premiums have not doubled you are just misleading. why is that?

link please. also it isn’t just the Obama admin that has labeled these policies junk insurance. I shouldn’t even have to answer that because I’ve already answered it in the past but nothing registers with you guys.

Junk health insurance
    Stingy plans may be worse than none at all

I guess consumer reports are obama stooges though right? it’s not the first time I’ve posted that link. wasn’t there even a grisham novel and movie about that?

“So why aren’t you bringing up Obama’s lies? He at least has admitted he’s a liar on this topic, but you seem to want to call me a liar when Obama has admitted that he’s the liar. Oh wait, you’re an Obamabot–that explains it.”

no I already said obama shouldn’t have said that. he should have said most will keep their doctor and etc. obama doesn’t keep saying it though. you on the other hand lie over and over again. premiums did not double. premiums went up high single digits.

pfft says:

“That the only other significant difference besides a higher deductible was no lifetime cap means just that!”

I guess you didn’t understand sarcasm. obama for you only means that you’ll never go bankrupt and lose your house and rack up hundreds of thousands and maybe even millions of dollars in medical costs? what a bad deal. you also won’t ever have to deal with pre-existing conditions you know?

RE: pfft @ 7 – I’m not saying junk policies didn’t exist. Only that they didn’t exist in Washington State AND that they weren’t sold by Regence. How many times do we have to go over the same nonsense? Just because your God Obama did something that doesn’t make it something good.

As to the next stupid post of yours, the chance of racking up more than $3M of medical claims is not worth $200 a month. No one in their right mind would make that decision on an insurance transaction, but for government coercion. And in any case that’s not why I’m paying that extra amount. I’m paying that extra amount largely because Obamacare screws those who were responsible in order to benefit those who were irresponsible. I have never had to worry about pre-existing conditions because I’ve been responsible my entire life. But screwing those who are responsible is what happens when you elect a community organizer with no experience President. Well that and the rest of the world going to hell.

By Kary L. Krismer @ 9:

“I’m not saying junk policies didn’t exist. Only that they didn’t exist in Washington State AND that they weren’t sold by Regence.”

source please. Also you realize that I am not talking about Wash just the nation in general? you seem to have a problem with this.

” I have never had to worry about pre-existing conditions because I’ve been responsible my entire life.”

ok so you clearly don’t understand pre-existing conditions. you know you can be born with a pre-existing condition? you know through no fault of your own you can get a pre-existining conditions. also as civilized people we don’t punish people because they made bad health decisions. I would call me a troll to if I were you because I debunk just about everything you say. sometimes I only have to say “source” to debunk you.

“Just because your God Obama”

LOL. I defend obama therefore I must think he’s god. your logic is a joke.

“But screwing those who are responsible is what happens when you elect a community organizer with no experience President.”

LOL. you just display a stunning ignorance despite all my past tries to educate you. it’s just unbelievable. Obamacare is a republican plan. it was dreamed up by a republican “think” tank. It was implemented by Mitt Romney. Romneycare was model for Obamacare. Around five nations have a similar program. you can trash Obama all you want but you are just a hater. millions upon millions have health insurance but you think it’s bad because your junk insurance policy is no longer junk and you have to pay extra(or so you tell us).

Blake says:

pfft wrote: .
    “umm competitive devaluation is a good thing. if you don’t have that you have southern europe… competitive devaluation is a good thing.”

Let me reiterate once again: pfft you are a fricking idiot!! And the most annoying thing about idiots like you is that you don’t know what you don’t know so you shoot your mouth off. Now granted, I studied International Political Economy and in particular wrote quite a few papers on the 1930s and the competitive devaluations and beggar-thy-neighbor policies that the individual nation states pursued during those years that GREATLY worsened the depression!
    (And I recall your lack of economic knowledge a few years ago when I mentioned “oligopolies” and you replied “what’s that?” Look it up… oligopoly IS the US economy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly)

Sure pfft… it is really terrific when one country cuts it’s interest rates… and then the next and the next and so on… Each country tries to get some competitive trade advantage by weakening it’s currency RELATIVE to the other countries. but when they all do it it doesn’t work! You just end up with a trade war, cheap money, speculation and declining investment … due to reduced returns on investments- – especially savings deposits!

Anti-pfft: competitive devaluation is a BAD thing!

Educate yourself!
    -snip- Beggar-thy-Neighbor Interest Rates
    Now fast forward to 2010. As if no lessons had been learned from the past, insular U.S. monetary and fiscal policies are again playing havoc with the financial systems of many countries on the dollar standard’s periphery. In responding to the weak American recovery from the global downturn of 2008, the U.S. Federal Reserve has kept short-term interest rates near zero in 2009 and 2010 and projects that it will keep them low into the indefinite future. In addition, the Fed is also engaging in more quantitative easing—the so-called QE2—by buying longer term U.S. Treasury bonds to drive long-term interest rates down further. But the yield on 10-year treasuries is already less than 3 percent.

Unsurprisingly, this has unleashed a flood of hot money into most “peripheral” countries in Asia and Latin America as well as Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. Figures 1A, 1B, and 1C, shows these currencies appreciations against the dollar in the latter part of 2010.

To prevent a precipitate decline in the competitiveness of their exports, central banks in Korea, Thailand, Japan, Brazil, Malaysia, Singapore, and other emerging markets—have intervened to dampen their currencies potential appreciations by buying dollars. Figures 2A and 2B show the sharp ballooning in their official (dollar) exchange reserves in 2010. To make these interventions effective and dampen further inflows of hot money, most have allowed their money supplies to expand faster and reduce interest rates. Complete sterilization is either infeasible or too expensive.

From this worldwide monetary expansion mainly in emerging markets, the resulting inflationary pressure has driven up the dollar prices of primary commodities sharply. As of Nov 9, 2010, Figure 3 shows The Economist’s newly weighted commodity price index rising 38.8% year over year—with food rising 31.5% and industrial raw materials rising 47.9%. With yields on financial assets becoming increasingly unattractive, the system becomes more prone to bubbles in commodity markets provoked by investors searching for higher yields.

RE: Blake @ 11

The Winners of the NWO After the Cold War With Russia Ended in the 80s:

China
    Germany
    Japan
    S. Korea

The Losers:

America [lost all its manufacturing]
    Soviet Union [got chopped into pieces]

Our Founding Fathers had a wonderful solution to current trade imbalances like America has to go in debt for the present NWO free trade destroying America…..its called TARRIFFS.

By Blake @ 11:

pfft wrote: .

Anti-pfft: competitive devaluation is a BAD thing!

Educate yourself!
    -snip- Beggar-thy-Neighbor Interest Rates

competitive devaluation does work. it’s worked for years. many people didn’t want the euro specifically because it tossed aside competitive devaluation in favor of policies we know didn’t work during the great depression. w/o competitive devaluation you get southern europe. instead of greece and spain having their currencies plunge against the french currency or the german currency in order to align price levels you need mass unemployment, massive deflation and plunging property prices. it’s been proven real-time that competitive devaluation works and liquidationism doesn’t. just look at iceland. it suffered a massive devaluation and it doesn’t have all the problems that southern europe does.

Blake says:

By softwarengineer @ 12:

RE: Blake @ 11
    The Losers:
    America [lost all its manufacturing]
    Soviet Union [got chopped into pieces]

SWE… in my opinion you focus too narrowly on the nation-states and not on the real, more powerful actors behind the scenes… the multinational corporations. Hence the US people are losing, but US corporations are dominant and continue to enjoy huge subsidies and contracts while they avoid taxes and offshore production! Likewise in Russia, the Russian people are suffering whiel the oligarchs and their enterprizes run wild!
    … s’funny how more and more similar the US and Russia are these days!

RE: Blake @ 14

I Emphasize Our Republic’s Voters

90-99% of the nation….after all, our elected officials were suppose to work for the voters.

One solution is defy the Supreme Court and only allow “for the voters” politicians to run for office on cheap websites, with no foreign/corporate puppet lobbyist influence allowed. I’m sure even a lot of the billionaires [with a conscience] agree with me too.

RE: pfft @ 10 – When we’re talking about my insurance plan we’re talking about Washington state.

And clearly you don’t understand pre-existing conditions if you don’t understand the effects they have on insurance. The types of conditions you’re talking about should be handled by the government, not by forcing small groups of private citizens to pay more based on happenstance. Only an idiot would come up with that idea. But that was the “cost saving” idea of Obamacare–make other pay.

And quit calling Obamacare a Republican plan because of Romney. Do you happen to remember what state he was governor of? Do you happen to remember anything about the politics in that state? Calling it a Republican plan because there was a Republican governor is absurd. But whatever, Obamacare was passed by a Congress controlled by Democrats and signed by a Democratic President. Even ignoring the fact that Obamacare is not exactly the same as Romneycare, Obamacare is a Democratic party invention.

Macro Investor says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 6:

Not much risk. If they miscalculate and lose a little this year, they’ll more than make up for it with rate increases in the future.

It’s a lie that insurance companies try to keep costs down. They price their service to make about 20-30% profit. If overall health care expenses stay steady or decline, that’s a smaller pie for them. They’d rather skim from a rapidly growing pie, and blame it on the doctors and hospitals.

Erik says:

Does anyone know how long it takes for a trustee sale to be recorded after the auction date in king county?

RE: Erik @ 18 – It can vary by trustee and the circumstances.

By Macro Investor @ 17:

That’s somewhat true, because they are a regulated industry and the amount of profit they can keep is dependent on the size of their business. But at the same time they need to be competitive with other companies.

Erik says:

I will report back when mine records and I can actually see inside this place. Hopefully this week. The suspense is killing me.

RE: Erik @ 21 – You have the right to get in 20 days after the sale. I don’t recall if that’s 20 days after the trustee’s sale, or the recording of the deed, or if that even applies if the unit is already vacant (completely empty). My point is you may be waiting a while.

Blake says:

Student loan debt… one more drag on housing recovery.
    A Goldman Sachs report on the millennial generation and the housing market — reported by the Washington Post’s Wonkblog — finds those grappling with more than $50,000 in student loan debt or payments that exceed more than 5 percent of their monthly income are significantly less likely to buy a home than their peers.

The good news: “Small to moderate amounts of student loans do not appear to reduce the homeownership rate noticeably,” said Goldman economists Eli Hackel and Hui Shan, the authors of the study.

The proportion of borrowers who carry more than $50,000 in debt stands at 7 percent of 25- to 34-year-old households, Goldman’s analysis of household data from the 2010 Survey of Consumer Finance indicated.

“In aggregate,” the study concludes, “we do not see student debt threatening housing demand at the macro level yet.”

But the study also noted debt-to-income ratios have risen “sharply” for student borrowers in the past 10 years. That ratio can make a big a difference to lenders.

Erik says:

I hope it doesn’t take that long. I need to get in there and make fixes before my appraisal.

By Blake @ 23:

Student loan debt… one more drag on housing recovery.

LOL. did you even read your own article?

My Heart and Prayers are With the Williams’ Family

But won’t this posssibly give some Millenials some old money for over-priced real estate in like Hollywood?

“…Robin Williams hanged himself with a belt after his wife had gone to sleep Sunday night.

Those are among the graphic new details to emerge about the death of the 63-year-old entertainer at a press conference Tuesday….”

“…

NPR finally discovers Bush and Obama are the same!

What I had to laugh at is this: “In the early days of his first term, President Obama was painted as “the anti-Bush” and many of his ideas — for instance his foreign policy and his approach to global terrorism — were considered non-Bushesque initiatives.” I have absolutely no idea what they’re talking about. Early in his term I was saying Obama was the same as Bush but for his push on healthcare–something at the time I thought would suffer the same fate as Hillarycare.

By Kary L. Krismer @ 27:

NPR finally discovers Bush and Obama are the same!

not really but good try.

RE: pfft @ 29 – If you don’t have anything to say, there is always the option of not posting at all. Or does the troll in you not allow that?

By Kary L. Krismer @ 30:

the questions are a joke. they are designed for a particular outcome. Questions 1, 2 and 3 are jokes. everyone knows that Obama couldn’t get Congress to close Gitmo if there is no difference between bush and obama why have republicans blocked everything they possibly could?

you just cherry pick certain issues and extrapolate. How about some hard evidence? are the two parties the same? absolutely not.
    Congress:
    Presidents:

Dirty Renter in Banjo Country says:

By Blurtman @ 28:

Is this the USA or Iraq?

RE: Blurtman @ 28

As Central America Uses Violence as a Reason for Their Assylum[?] Kid Dump to America

I hear Chicago’s violence and crime is worse than Central America.

By softwarengineer @ 33:

RE: Blurtman @ 28

I hear Chicago’s violence and crime is worse than Central America.

from what I’ve read kids and their parents are leaving on their own. also central america has the worst violence rates in the world. way higher than chicago.

RE: pfft @ 34

Not What I read on Immigrationreform.com, Washington DC…..but news sources may differ, you have another?

By softwarengineer @ 35:

RE: pfft @ 34

why don’t you just post your sources?

pfft says:

I guess I always end up doing the work. Chicago doesn’t even make the list of most violent cities.

RE: pfft @ 37 – The effect of the war on drugs, brought to you by, wait for it, . . . Democrats AND Republicans.

By Kary L. Krismer @ 38:

keep trying to deflect from the hard data smackdown I put on you!

you aren’t even right about your post as most drug violence ceased in places like Colombia and moved on to Mexico.

By pfft @ 39:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 38:

keep trying to deflect from the hard data smackdown I put on you!

I think you’re confusing me with SWE, but in any case your own link shows Columbia had the city with the 4th highest murder rate. Were they mad about soccer? Too much sun? Having their country named after our country’s capital? What exactly caused all those murders?

But in any case, what does it matter which countries our war on drugs is destroying. Talk about deflection! That’s a huge deflection! pfft: “The war on drugs isn’t a problem in other countries caused by Democrats AND Republicans because the problems are happening in Mexico, not Columbia.”

Blake says:

By pfft @ 39:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 38:

keep trying to deflect from the hard data smackdown I put on you!

The so called “hard data” on Chicago’s crime rates were faked…
    … “The city’s drop in crime has been nothing short of miraculous. Here’s what’s behind the unbelievable numbers.”
    … The amazing drop has more to do with pressure from that lying POS Rahm Emmanuel than anything else.

But to SWE original point: I don’t have the link, but I have read that the murder rate in the poor parts of several American cities is higher than it is in many central American countries. Not really a fair comparison: to compare a destitute city with a whole country… But this is also true of the infant mortality rates in various US cities… very sad.

Case in point:
    -snip- In Pluto’s diary on the life of Michael Brown, you might notice one detail that’s both touching and disturbing:
    Mike’s graduation photograph was taken in March 2014, still many months ahead of when he would be able to graduate in August. Imagine the “why” of this fact:
    The grinding poverty in Mike’s world only allowed Normandy High School to acquire two graduation gowns to be shared by the entire class. The students passed a gown from one to the other. Each put the gown on, in turn, and sat before the camera to have their graduation photographs taken. Until it was Mike’s turn.

What kind of American school would have to share robes across the entire senior class?
    The kind that’s been the subject of a lot of attention from the state board of education.

This district was created by merging two of the poorest, most heavily minority districts around St. Louis—Normandy and Wellston. The poverty rate for families sending their kids to Normandy Schools was 92 percent. At Wellston School District, the poverty rate was 98 percent. Every single student in the Wellston district was African American.
    (end quote)
    Two Americas…

By Kary L. Krismer @ 40:

By pfft @ 39:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 38:

keep trying to deflect from the hard data smackdown I put on you!

I don’t think you understand. latin america is a violent place irrespective of the war on drugs. the war on drugs has shifted from Colombia. Columbia is a much less violent place now but it is still violent. it probably has to do with a combination of pollution and poverty. the war on drugs in some places certainly doesn’t help.

however what you fail to see is that the war on drugs is baked into the numbers I posted that totally refuted your both parties are the same meme. they aren’t even the same on the war on drugs. I guess you haven’t noticed the de-Rockerfellerization of the drug war have you? you haven’t noticed how some states are decriminalzing weed? many people are also more for treatment than incarceration. you will probably also find wide disparities between the parties with republicans taking a lock em up attitude and democrats wanting more treatment.

pfft says:

at least there is one upside.

Thanks to drought, panning for gold is gaining popularity in California

Macro Investor says:

By Blurtman @ 28:

Is this the USA or Iraq? What is wrong with this country?

Denninger has an interesting take on this. We allow the cops to commit violent crimes and never be punished. Now out of control in many places.

RE: Macro Investor @ 42 – It can go both ways. Remember the riots in Pioneer Square where the cops did nothing and someone was killed by thugs?

No matter what they will be second guessed, mostly by people who don’t know squat.

One of the best article on the state of mortgage loan underwriting today:

“In reality, most regulators and decision makers DO NOT agree that federally insured institutions should:

Help tax cheats
    Lower FHA limits
    Reverse FHA mortgage insurance fees
    Bring back seller funded DPAs
    Loosen documentation
    Have sympathy for short sale sellers”