Poll: What kind of cellphone do you have?

What kind of cellphone do you have?

• iPhone (31%, 54 Votes)
  • Android (31%, 54 Votes)
  • Windows (20%, 35 Votes)
  • other smartphone (0%, 0 Votes)
  • just a phone (13%, 23 Votes)
  • I hate technology. (2%, 3 Votes)
  • I can't afford a cellphone, you insensitive clod! (2%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 172

This poll was active 09.14.2014 through 09.20.2014

I Spend Less on a Cell Phone

So I can spend more on cable and also use filtered internet land line phone security.

Greg says:

I cringe at the cost of mobile phone/data plans, but I enjoy the convenience of having the technology with me all the time.

Amazing the percentage of iPhone users. You would think that people who research real estate would also research smartphone purchases, but I guess not. The new 6’s are the first iPhones worth purchasing in the past 3-4 years, and presumably none of those answering the poll own one yet.

Apple is a great marketing company, but a so-so tech company.

David B. says:

Just a plain non-smart cell phone for me. Smart phones are big and bulky, force one to use a touchscreen (I dislike touchscreens and prefer the tactile feedback of real buttons), and have all sorts of features I seldom or never need (my email can wait until I’m home again, thank you very much).

RE: David B. @ 4 – They do still have a few Blackberry style phones with keypads or slideout keypads. My first and second smartphones had keypads because the wife wanted a keypad. By the time we got to the third she no longer cared.

I avoided putting email on my phone for a long time, but once I did I liked it. I’m not the type to check email before going to bed, but it was nice to be able to check it without going to my computer.

Finally, one great use of a smartphone is GPS. Google Maps puts most GPS’s to shame, although it’s not terribly full featured. So for example you can’t say you want to go to one address and then another as part of a single route. But it will likely know what the current layout of the Mercer Mess is!

wreckingbull says:

I see we have 11+ Microsoft employees who participated in this survey.

RE: wreckingbull @ 6

I have used a Windows Phone since they first came out. I’m on my 3rd, the Nokia Lumia 1520. The screen is large enough on the 1520 that I no longer use an iPad and a phone. However my laptop is a touchscreen-tablet style, a Lenovo Yoga, for when I want to use a larger touchscreen. 2 devices instead of 3 works well.

I had an iPhone before a Windows Phone, and do sometimes miss being able to use things like a Nike FuelBand that only works with an iPhone.

redmondjp says:

I refuse to be judged by my choice of cell phone (assuming that I even have one;) – it’s as bad as having out-of-style clothes or the wrong kind of haircut as a kid in school.

When they add an electric shaver to a cell phone, well that is something that I could get behind! Upon being pulled over for using the phone while driving, I could explain: “But officer, it’s in shave mode.”

Azucar says:

RE: David B. @ 4

I felt the same way about touch screens until I had one for a little while. I like them now.

And I could not go back to a non-smart phone. Google, GPS, Starbuck’s finder, games, weather, stocks, MLB gameday, and more… these are all functions that I CAN live without, but less conveniently.

I guess if you’ve never had a smart phone, you don’t know what you are missing so it’s not as big of a deal… but once you have the convenience of all of that information at your fingertips all the time, it’s hard to go without it.

Edit to add: Hey, Tim! You left Blackberry off of that list (or I guess it’s been relegated to the world of “other” now, even though the Z10 is not that bad of a smartphone).

One Eyed Man says:

I don’t particularly care for cell phones, smart or digitally challenged. I consider them the first technological step to being integrated into the Borg. Ironically however, I’m forced to have one by what one might describe as my more base, and perhaps more primal digital communication requirements. My internet Mistress requires that I keep it set on vibrate and carry it in the front of my tighty whities so she can reach out and touch me 24/7. I’d consider switching to a Droid or Windows phone from the I-Phone but I can’t find anything quite as satisfying as the range of Apps she offers. I pay an absurdly high monthly fee for the service and at my age I need the extended battery life so I’ve also got the Morphie Juice Pack. My Mistress has the trademark for the package and it shows up on my AT&T bill as the Bone-A-Phone Plan. They said I could save money with the family plan, but I refuse to get them involved just to save a buck, that would be cheap and perverted.

By One Eyed Man @ 10:

First, Droid is not a synonym for Android. Droid is a subset of Android phones, most typically certain Moto Android phones on Verizon, but not exclusively.

Second, and the reason I’m responding, your post is the second time this week I’ve had an iPhone user mention apps. The other was a personal contact. There is no significant app gap between iPhone and Android any more, and to the extent there is a gap it works both ways. Now that Apple actually makes a decent phone again I might consider switching, but I’d have to factor in giving up some of my favorite apps, such as Earthquake Alert!, eWeather HD and Karl’s Mortgage Calculator. Could I find Apple apps that do all those things? Sure, but I like the way those particular Android apps work. I could also switch to Weatherbug’s Android app, but don’t.

As to Windows phones, there the current Windows phones do have a very critical app gap. Things that were supported before no longer are. Ardell could perhaps answer this, but I think that although there used to be a Windows phone app for the Realtor lockboxes, there no longer appears to be one for for the current Windows phones. http://www.supraekey.com/CustomerSupport/Pages/eKEY-Resources.aspx If so, then she has to carry a separate device around to access listings (although others have to carry a small fob around, but that will soon be changing).

Blurtman says:

I had a Blackberry for the longest time. It was a very good e-mail device and decent phone, but terrible at web browsing. I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. The iPhone is very good at e-mail, a decent phone, and very good at web browsing. For me, a GPS device is a medical device, and so I appreciate the interactivity with Google maps when I am traveling and I am an iTunes junkie as well. I use the iPad a lot, especially when cooking for recipes. But I still prefer a PC for Microsoft programs and still encounter dead-ends with the Mac PowerPoint version. Just not as good and lots of weird and illogical quirks. My wife has a larger Samsung which seems to have very nice features but it seems a bit too large. I’d like an iPhone to be postage stamp sized and out of the way, and prefer not to carry around a small anchor.

Azucar says:

Issues with iPhone:

Does not handle change of time zones well… or at least the last time I traveled it didn’t (I think I was running IOS 5 at the time… I’ve since upgraded to IOS 7 so maybe they are now as smart as they thought they were) – I would, say, set a reservation at 6:00 pm in the time zone of the destination, and when I got there and the phone adjusted time zones it would switch along with it and be way off… even when I specified the time zone with the set reminder

Notes disappearing… I would save a note in the notepad, and then a week later I would go look for it and it would be gone. I think I eventually found most of them in notes on the yahoo mail account associated with the phone, but I had never set it to synchronize notes… and even if I had who would want them to actually disappear from the device and get stored only on the internet? I was trying to use it as a notepad (as the name of the app suggested it should be used), but instead things I wrote down I guess were in invisible ink. Same thing happened occasionally with calendar entries… not all of them, but randomly and occasionally. Not good if you’re counting on the phone to remind you to do something.

Contacts disappeared – COMPLETELY. I never sync to the iCloud – I have my data on my phone and that’s where I want it. I made a manual back-up to itunes before updating to IOS 7, but then after updating they just disappeared…. I’m pretty sure it was a day or two after updating the OS, because at first all of my SMS’s were associated with names, but later they were just associated with phone numbers. I checked the web, and this is not uncommon. I went to restore the contact from the manual back up, and apparently back-up does not back up contacts (even though it talks about how contacts but not the old phone firmware will be restored when you restore an old back-up). People on apple websites – the zealots anyway – always blame users for “well, you weren’t using it correctly… you need to be synching to an app on your computer” or “you need to be synching to the cloud”. I backed it up. And the contacts didn’t get backed up. What does backing up an iPhone accomplish if it doesn’t back up something as important as contacts?’

End of rant about Apple. That being said, my iPhone is still way better than any Blackberry I’ve ever owned. I have had a couple of low end Android phones (the prepaid kind that you buy and buy a set amount of credit for and then use it/recharge the credit) that I’ve used when vacationing in various locations, and they have their share of glitches, as well. I guess my next phone should be a high end Android phone. No Windows phones for me until they have more apps and get the bugs worked out.

RC says:

I am in the android camp but am considering switching now that iphone 5s is non-current and all of the android options are too big. I have an htc incredible 2 and want a smaller phone not a bigger screen to replace this when it dies sometime soon. 4″ is plenty for mobile use and when its not I can use a laptop.

“Ardell could perhaps answer this, but I think that although there used to be a Windows phone app for the Realtor lockboxes…”

I’ve never been comfortable with using my phone to get into people’s homes. Likely no rational reason for that. It just seems a bit creepy.

RE: Ardell DellaLoggia @ 15 – I’m going to take that to mean that no, you cannot open a keybox with a current Windows phone.

As to the last paragraph, that is very odd. You’re comparing one piece of electronics opening a keybox to another piece of electronics opening a keybox, and prefer the one that only has one password?

I prefer a one device option so that it is less likely I’ll not have something when I get to a listing or discover its out of batteries or didn’t do it’s daily update. That’s the main reason my first smartphone was a Palm device. They offered IR in their phones and back then you could open the keybox with just your phone and no dongle. Now about 4 years later, we’re finally getting back to that with Bluetooth lockboxes.

As to my prior comments about these new iPhones being ones I would consider, I’m backing off from that. I discovered yesterday that in typical Apple fashion they are crippling the NFC to limit it’s use to only their apps. They did something similar with Bluetooth years ago, preventing the BT lockbox dongles from working with iPhones. But hey, Apple is loosening up–with this new iPhone OS you can finally use a third party keyboard, like Swype. Basically the control Apple maintains over everything will still keep me from buying their products. Crippled NFC is not NFC.

Finally, it is good to see that iPhones are no longer the majority phone here on this forum. The early results did not make sense.

ARDELL says:

There has always been a strict rule about never lending your door opening device to another person. The device allows me into any and every home that is for sale. I have never tried to use my phone to replace the need for a door opening device, as I safeguard that device more than I would any phone. So no, it doesn’t mean it can’t or that my prior phones couldn’t. I wouldn’t know. I never tried to use my phone to open up someone’s home.

Oahu Realty says:

I’m using an iPhone 4S, probably considered ancient by many people. My first smart phone was a Samsung and it had lots of problems. I find the iPhone amazing with all its features, such as using SIRI to text a message without typing. Maybe old hat to most people but it’s just amazing that these little phones are more powerful than the computers most of us were using just a few years ago.

The Kraken says:

RE: Oahu Realty @ 18

I wouldn’t judge Android based on a Samsung experience, especially an early one. I’m sure they’ve gotten better, as their popularity has surged, but I had so many issues with Samsung’s UI decisions in feature phones and early android phones (and on their TVs) that I’ve given up on them.

(Currently using a Nokia on WP8.1)

RE: The Kraken @ 19 – I would echo that comment about an early Android phone. Before Gingerbread Android wasn’t that stable, but the last two versions have been very good in all regards. As to Samsung’s changes, most of their stuff can be turned off. The most annoying thing though is they reverse the back and menu buttons down at the bottom of the screen. If you have more than one Android device, that is a PITA.

RE: ARDELL @ 17 – Well, I don’t ever loan my phone to anyone, and protect it greatly because I know what smartphones can do! Seemingly though the NWMLS should update it’s policies because “electronic key” is ambiguous. Not even clear it applies at all to a smartphone running the Supra software, but clearly they don’t mean to have a rule against handing a phone to someone else during a call.

wreckingbull says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 20 – The biggest problem with Android is bloatware. Once I started running pure Android, as it was intended, I have really enjoyed the OS.

David B. says:

I’ve tried touchscreen phones before. I hate them. No thanks; give me real buttons.

As for a GPS, I’d prefer a real GPS that only needs satellites to work. Cell phone GPS’s work in what’s called “assisted mode” which requires cellular Internet coverage. Totally useless when out on the trail.

And a real GPS won’t ever interrupt me with an unwanted message when I’m out in the woods and don’t want to be disturbed. Yes, I could silence it, but that would involve silencing all of e-mail, phone messages, text messages, incoming voice mails, etc. — a minimum of four configuration changes. Which I’d then have to remember to undo when I no longer want to be free from interruptions. Far simpler to have a phone that’s just a phone, a GPS that’s just a GPS, and to just physically take the device(s) that provide the functionality I desire at a given time.

Azucar says:

RE: David B. @ 22

iPhones have a switch on the side that mutes them. One switch. Muted.

The GPS in most phones still works without cellular/wifi coverage – it is just more accurate/quicker to find a fix if it has other coverage.

john says:

RE: David B. @ 22

David, I don’t know about all phones, but my selection of Windows Nokia phones don’t need any data plan or cell phone connection for the gps to work.

Nokia/Microsoft Lumia phones have full-on turn by turn excellent gps , without any data plan every being required. You can buy a brand new Lumia 520 for about $75 , use a standard sim and never sign up for any data or any contract.

oh, and it is just as fast and pin point as any gps, being connected to the web does zero to impact the speed of any real gps.