Poll: Amazon’s influence on Seattle overall has been:

Amazon's influence on Seattle overall has been:

• very positive (52%, 53 Votes)
  • somewhat positive (17%, 17 Votes)
  • neutral (5%, 5 Votes)
  • somewhat negative (19%, 19 Votes)
  • very negative (8%, 8 Votes)

Total Voters: 102

This poll was active 10.12.2014 through 10.18.2014

Blurtman says:

South Lake Union construction is booming.

whatsmyname says:

One thing is sure. Using the more is more approach, their influence on Seattle real estate prices has been very positive.

Erik says:

Of course it has been positive for housing prices, but now we all have to deal with a bunch more software people.

pfft says:

By Erik @ 3:

but I’ve got people skills darnit.

QA Guy says:

While I was an Amazon employee, I thought about this topic for a while. First of all, it gave birth to SLU neighborhood development. I read that back in 2008, SLU campus construction was largest commercial building project in the country at that time. I like SLU’s approach to build low-rise commercial and residential buildings as opposed to downtown’s skyscrapers. Secondly, Amazon helped Seattle to be recognized as Pacific NW’s “silicon valley” before Google and FB even existed.

Rapid Amazon’s growth brought a few problems to the city: rent prices in SLU and Capitol Hill sky-rocketed. Traffic along Denny Way or Mercer St became a nightmare. City, IMHO, was very late/slow to react with infrastructure improvement projects: street widening and bus re-routing. To be fair, same problems would exist if any other large company (FB, Google, Microsoft, Chase, etc.) moved in and grew rapidly in Seattle.

Erik says:

RE: pfft @ 4
    Maybe you aren’t the problem, but your computer friends make seattle less fun. The last thing we need is an influx of computer nerds that think the computer is their friend. There has to be some kind of limit here. Your friends have almost destroyed the eastside and now you people are infesting Seattle like a bunch of termites. NO MORE COMPUTER NERDS IN SEATTLE!!! PLEASE!!!!

Most of you aren’t even native. We are taking all the kids that were chosen last on the playground. The kids that got picked on for being introverted and out of touch with other humans. We want dodge ball champions, not the kids that were picked on and pushed around for being stragglers. After years and years of nerd breeding in the Seattlle area, nerd offspring will create genetics that are so weak that everyone will be sick and diseased in Seattle. GTFO of my city computer nerds! People are celebrating you bringing jobs to the area, but I have had enough. I don’t mind having less money in the puget sound area as long as we reduce the nerd/human ratio.

Saffy The Pook says:

The troll speaks!

More people carrying backpacks!

I can only assume Amazon doesn’t give some of its lower level office workers a real office, and they have to carry their office belongings home with them everyday. Either that or each one is responsible for delivering one package on their way home from work.

RE: QA Guy @ 5 – I’m surprised no one else has “liked” your post, because it was well thought out. My only criticism would be that Mercer has been a mess far longer than Amazon has existed. Maybe it’s worse now, I don’t go through there enough to know. Even worse, I don’t know how much what the city did (and are doing) will help! I think it still may be a mess when they’re done.

Eden says:

This question is way too complex for a simple poll. I think Amazon’s influence has been both positive and negative. The number of jobs is great. The way they apparently treat their employees doesn’t sound so great. The building boom has both it’s upside and it’s downside. Many people have been made rich by Amazon, but what will we all think in a few years when they are a real monopoly and can jack up all the prices? What about companies started by Amazon vets? That could end up being a great asset to Seattle. Time will tell…

QA Guy says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 8:

One reason is overall economy improvements and rapid Amazon’s growth lead to extreme shortage of office space. New office buildings are being built at a slower rate than company grows. Most senior people up to directors don’t have offices. Another reason is I think Amazon never favored “real office” setups and encourages ‘open door’ communication.

By Kary L. Krismer @ 8:

… they have to carry their office belongings home with them everyday. Either that or each one is responsible for delivering one package on their way home from work.

LOL! :) Nah, probably just a lunchbox and a laptop. Many people check email in the evenings or finish some work.

Mike says:

RE: Erik @ 6 – Move to Kent.

I have absolutely no problem with the people who work for Amazon. I’m also appreciative that the number of people in Seattle making decent money has increased to the point where there’s now all kinds of neighborhoods with decent pizza and good microbrews. I don’t think who you work for or what you do for a living defines who you are. I’m not going to like you any more or less because you’re a software developer, or a pilot, a garbageman, or you scoop up elephant dung. People are people.
    Still, I don’t think Amazon’s influence on Seattle has been all peaches and cream. It has contributed to the city getting much more expensive, and as a result of it getting less diverse economically, it has lost some of it’s character.. I’m also not crazy about the influence that Amazon and Paul Allen have on our elected officials. For a left wing city full of socialists and libertarians, it sure seems odd how pretty much anything Paul Allen, or Amazon, or Bill Gates wants, the taxpayers will end up accommodating them.

Erik says:

RE: Mike @ 12
    I dislike those one tooth inbreds even more. I work in Auburn and I feel dirty everytime I am there. Auburn isn’t as bad as Kent, but it is not that much better either. As I’ve discussed on here, I hate Everett because it stole 6 years of my life, but I think Kent is even sicker.

Ira: I guess maybe not all computer people are kill-joys, but most are. I deduct most of my knowledge from people on this site such as wreckingbull, saffy, etc. I want them out.

Mike says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 13 – I don’t think Amazon can take the blame for lack of economic diversity. That blame lies more in city planning and public policy, not just the high end stuff the billionaires stick their fingers in. At the extreme low end, one might argue that the overflowing wealth from the Tech set is actually attracting and supporting those at the very bottom of the economic ladder. The folks that don’t work and panhandle for a living thrive here in ways they could not if the Puget Sound region was just another dying blue collar area on the outskirts of the USA.

I think some of the blame lies in policies that set aside in city housing for people that can’t pay the rent, don’t work, cause trouble and chase lower wager earners out to the suburbs in search of an affordable place to raise a kid or two.

ChrisM says:

RE: Mike @ 15 – If one is questioning the lack of economic diversity, doesn’t the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Growth_Management_Act share some of the responsibility?

This article was published just a couple days after this poll went live last week: Amazon’s Company Town? – The retail behemoth feels at home in Seattle. But the city’s not so sure.

wreckingbull says:

Why must we work in downtown hamster cages?

I have always said, companies need to encourage teleworking, even partial teleworking. I convinced my company to let me work from home in 2006 and never looked back. Opens up all sorts of interesting options. I could not even begin to imagine a Seattle->Auburn commute. Depressing. I also could not imagine living in an SLU apodment for $1200/month.

Erik says:

RE: wreckingbull @ 18
    My guess is that your company let you work from home because it was a more attractive option for your company than having you there. I am in no way happy about my commute from Seattle to Auburn. It is depressing. Alki Beach is a good place to live though since I really don’t hit much traffic and the area isn’t nasty like the places south of me. It is much better than living in the dirty south sound or Everett. I would love to move back to the eastside, but I need to wait for prices to fall over there which could be another 20 years. Those computer nerds make a lot of money for their low level thinking.

Earlier, you said “It’s best to ignore” about me because you couldn’t accept the truth. Now you are taking jabs. I am totally fine with that as my commute does blow. It is probably better than the commute from Alki to downtown Seattle though. That route is stopped the whole way in when I leave for work. My place here is gonna be super nice though when I’m done, so I take it all in stride. If I lived downtown or on the eastside, this place would be about a million I would guess. I would be holed up in another condo on the eastside if I lived there. Atleast I am holed up over the water and living on a beach here in Alki.

RE: wreckingbull @ 18 – Weyerhaeuser’s move to Seattle is a good example of that. If I were one of their employees I would not be happy. But it’s something lots of companies do–I believe even Redfin.

Being downtown means higher rental rates, more expensive and more difficult parking for employees and customers, but hey, more places to eat lunch! It’s somewhat useful for lawyers to be close to courthouses, but other than that, I don’t see the appeal of a downtown office.

By Kary L. Krismer @ 20:

I guess some of the Weyerhaeuser employees were commuting from far away places, and Federal Way is almost the end of the earth. From the corporate bigwig standpoint, I guess a Seattle address is prestigious compared to a Federal Way address? Nobody knows what or where Federal Way is. But if they wanted to move and just wanted a Seattle address, they could have built their new Taj Mahal in Skyway or White Center.

Azucar says:

By Erik @ 3:

Software people Seem to be better to deal with than laid off aerospace engineers who are condo renovaters (aka “wanna be real estate moguls”), based on my experience in here.

Macro Investor says:

I was wrong about this blog going down hill. Really intelligent discourse going on here. Teaching me a lot about real estate.

Erik says:

RE: Azucar @ 22
    Do you have any interest in real estate sugar?

I finally agree with macro idiot, this has turned into a food fight.

Maybe this poll needs to be redone after today’s earnings news. ;-)

$170M writedown just on the Fire Phone!