Boeing has Been the Shining Seattle Icon for a Century Now

The last couple decades have seen the outsourcing of almoat all the parts fabrication and even a lion’s share of the assembly line work from Seattle, as China is enterring the larger commercial aircraft manufacturing area too.

There is still a Boeing in Seattle, albeit a much smaller industrial footprint than the heydays.

HappyRenter says:

This is unrelated to Boeing but still related to the Seattle area jobs: Amgen is cancelling more than 600 positions in the Seattle area closing down Seattle campus and Bothell production plant:

I wonder what that means for Seattle biotech industry in general.

boater says:

Barring a strip mining operation is there any large employer that isnt very beneficial to a large city? I’m excluding say Wal-Mart and its effects on smaller cities.

ChristianW says:

RE: boater @ 3
    Seriously, I’m not really understanding the logic behind these polls.

I also don’t think the results mean much of anything.

My theory is this…..generally, Boeing gets more positive votes than msft/amazon because the average Joe can identify closer with a Boeing assembly job than they can with a msft/amazon software job. Boeing is seen as lifting the average Joe while the average Joe doesn’t identify themselves with msft/amazon, hence lower scoring votes.

There’s no question that Boeing being here has had incredible economic benefits and has lead to the creation of many other companies. However, from what I’ve seen, I would wager that over the last 20 years Microsoft has contributed significantly more to the development of the seattle area economy. I can’t begin to count the number of companies which have been started by ex-Microsoft employees.

Here are a few….
    -Glass Door
    -Real Networks
    -Cranium
    -Stack overflow
    -Zillow
    – I also work for a company founded 5 years ago by an ex-msft employee; we just made the Inc. 500 list of fastest growing companies 2014

I read from Business Insider that “Microsoft alums are more than twice as likely to start companies as former Googlers. Microsoft employees have a 2.9% chance of being a CEO at some point in their life, versus only 1.4% for Google.”

wreckingbull says:

By ChristianW @ 4:

I don’t really see the value of that statistic. Microsoft is almost 40 years old now. Google is about a third of that. I’d venture that is the main reason for the difference.

ChristianW says:

By wreckingbull @ 5:

By ChristianW @ 4:

How long msft has been around compared to google plays into the difference in rates; but the fact that 1 out of 34 Microsoft employees becomes a CEO is pretty damn incredible. My guess is that Boeing doesn’t foster anywhere near that kind of innovation.

RE: wreckingbull @ 5

The Key Isn’t How Much the S/W CEO Made on a Startup Company

But how many people work for them.

By ChristianW @ 4:

RE: boater @ 3
    Seriously, I’m not really understanding the logic behind these polls.

Beyond the items you mentioned, when it comes to most things Tim seems to recognize that what’s good for a buyer is bad for a seller. If Amazon, Microsoft and Boeing didn’t exist, that would be very good for buyers because property would be cheap. It would also be good for people who like nature, because there would be a lot more wooded areas left standing.

I think these polls are much more popularity polls. Companies can act heavily handed doing what they want to do, so these polls are a reflection of that. As to Boeing, most of what it did to develop facilities was done a long time ago, so most the negatives (ignoring labor issues) are out of peoples’ memories.

boater says:

I’m a tech guy an love msft and goog but if you go outside Seattle you see the massive extent to which Boeing has contributed to the economy. There are a huge number of subcontractor supplying parts and support. Some of those are ex Boeing many are just competent people who saw a need at Boeing and created a company to fill the need. They tend not to be in sexy areas but they are good jobs at all levels of skill.

Boeing largely created the environment for Microsoft to thrive. Amazon, Google, Facebook, expedia have built on an amazing base created by those two companies.

HappyRenter says:

By softwarengineer @ 7:

RE: wreckingbull @ 5

The Key Isn’t How Much the S/W CEO Made on a Startup Company

But how many people work for them.

But also, it’s much easier to create a software start-up company than an “airplane assembly line” start-up company. Comparing Boeing to Microsoft and Amazon is not fair. Also, software based companies can disappear as fast as they appear, see for example the dot-com bust.

wreckingbull says:

RE: HappyRenter @ 10 – I’m glad you said this. I have been ‘CEO’ of two software companies, both short lived. One employed two other people, one was just me. Barrier to entry was almost nothing.

As to boater’s comments above – there are some fascinating local companies in this realm. Janiki comes to mind.