Poll: What kind of cell phone do you have?

What kind of cell phone do you have?

• iPhone (25%, 68 Votes)
  • Android (24%, 65 Votes)
  • Blackberry (6%, 17 Votes)
  • other smartphone (10%, 27 Votes)
  • just a phone (31%, 86 Votes)
  • I hate technology. (2%, 5 Votes)
  • I can't afford a cell phone, you insensitive clod! (3%, 7 Votes)

Total Voters: 275

This poll was active 08.08.2010 through 08.14.2010.

man in the middle says:

iPhone – only because when I was buying, Android was not supported for corporate mail access. Now, I’d have to pry the iPhone out of my wife’s hands. I’m most interested in Windows Phone 7 as the UI is at least equal in my experience (very very different though) to the iPhone, but I’m skeptical that Microsoft can create a successful ecosystem to go with it.

Sniglet says:

I use a $30 pre-paid cell phone. I pay $100 for 1000 minutes and have only paid $200 over the last 4 years and still have a litle over 200 minutes left.

wreckingbull says:

I pay about $100 a year too, using prepaid service. I sometimes carry an ipod touch with me for wifi web/email/Skype

The big wireless carriers are hoping the secret of prepaid + wifi does not proliferate, as that will cook them.

Funny thing. I use prepaid too, same as Sniglet’s $100 for 1000 minutes, but I’ve got that SIM card in a fancy new Android phone (Samsung Vibrant). Can’t bring myself to pay $60 a month to get data, especially when most everywhere I go has wifi. I’m probably the only person in Seattle with a fancy smartphone on a prepaid, no-data plan.

If any of you other Android phone peeps are into playing asynchronous scrabble-clone on your phone, grab Wordfeud and shoot me a game invite. Username: “The_Tim”

wreckingbull says:

RE: The Tim @ 4 – I have been kicking around that exact idea. It really is the way to go. My problem is that I still really like the small, flip-phone form factor. I like to be able to do physical labor while still having a phone in my front pocket, and I am afraid I would destroy one these smartphones pretty fast.

kurt says:

@sniglet
    Can you do texts with that thing? I’m flirting with going prepaid since I really don’t use my phone for internet (just have a 10mb data plan so I can check e-mail which I really don’t care about).

Astro Kermit says:

Can you guys share what prepaid plans you are using?

WestSeattleDave says:

RE: The Tim @ 8 – I too began using T-Mobile prepaid service with one of the basic phones that come with it. I buy 1000 minutes for $100, which lasts me forever as I don’t constantly chat on the phone. I buy the cheapest number of minutes when they expire after a year, and roll them over. I’ve gotten 18-20 months of service for around $140 (including sales tax) from that single 1000 minute purchase. Last year I bought a Samsung Gravity 2 (used, half price on craigslist) and popped my SIM card into it, and now have nice text capabilities with it. Who needs a monthly contract?

wreckingbull says:

RE: The Tim @ 4 – Tim, one question about your setup: Do you have a navigation application that will work without a network connection?

Cheap South says:

I too use the T-moible prepaid. 3 years now; $100 for 1000 minutes that do last me the full year (about $8.50/month).

Tim, did you buy your phone used? Is it a t-mob service phone?

Virgin Mobile now has a $25/month service that includes unlimited texting, web, data, and 300 minutes. I think they call it pay as you go; they use SPRINT’s network. And I was thinking about this service for my daughter.

geon says:

Just a phone: tracfone. Although, I do have a ipad 3G and ipod touch, bought with the savings!

karl says:

no cell phone, have found no need for one. I am an electronics tech so its not that I hate technology.

Smartphone-other. The Supra boxes require IR, so it really limits what a real estate agent can carry. They do have a dongle for Blackberry devices, and will soon have them for iPhones and Android, but a dongle is not nearly as convenient as having it all in one device. Even so, when they get the Android dongle, I may look at making a switch.

Ross Jordan says:

By The Tim @ 4:

I’m also on the t-mobile prepaid $100 for 1000 minutes “plan”. However, a friend of mine mentioned you could get data prepaid on at&t – $20 for 100MB at a time. That’s almost compelling enough to try them. I wish t-mobile offered prepaid data at a reasonable rate.

Lake Hills Renter says:

I have an ancient (5+ year old) flip phone and have no reason to switch to anything else. It covers everything I need — makes phone calls, has speed dial, and allows me to send the occasional text message. I’m on the same plan when I started too. Again, no reason to switch — despite T-Mobile constantly trying to get me to. I don’t use anywhere near my monthly minutes, and it’s very low. I’ll have to looking into this pre-paid thing.

Android has been outselling iPhone only lately, so it’s somewhat amazing how close it is in this poll.

Sniglet says:

I am using the t-mobile pre-paid plan and can vouch for the fact that it does support texting, since friends periodically send me text messages. I may eventually do what Tim is doing, and get a more advanced phone, but keep with the pre-paid plan. Unless you have a job where you spend the majority of your time on the road I just don’t think it makes sense to have a data plan.

These days there are free Wi-Fi spots in SO many places that you can get on the net pretty easily anywhere. When I am at the park with my kids I can damn well survive a couple hours without checking my e-mail (unlike some parents I see who are busily messaging away while their kids are in the playground). Further, I don’t think I am about to try texting while riding my bicycle (which is my primary mode of transportion to and from work every day).

Actually, I am reluctant to get a smart phone under any circumstance. The thngs are so fragile and expensive that I don’t know if it justifies the expense. Heck, you can’t even replace the batteries in the iPhones, which go dead in a couple years. My wife and I (who each have cheap phones with the t-mobile pre-paid plans) have dropped, or damaged, our phones in one way or the other over the last few years. When it’s just a $20 phone, dropping (or even mis-placing) your phone isn’t a big deal. Things are a lot more painful when you destroy your brand-new HTC Android.

deejayoh says:

Is this Seattle Bubble, or the Home Economiser newsletter?

I’m as cheap as the next guy, but when my only phone is my cellphone, I figure I might as well splurge on the data plan too.

Cheap South says:

RE: Lake Hills Renter @ 16

You need to remember that if you text, T-mob prepaid will cost you 25c per outgoing text, and 10c for incoming.

Also; many of those with smart phones and pricey plans (in SB’s demographic) might not have a land line at home. I pay $35/mo for my land line with call waiting.

I Have an Old 2002 Nokia

It’s bullet proof [takes drops, moisture, doesn’t drop calls and takes crushing without breaking right away], takes digital text messages and best yet, doesn’t have a 911 chip, so can’t track my exact location with my phone number…..is that really anyone’s business?

Since it’s so old, the leather case, hands free, extra lithium battery, car charger were bought many years ago too and I still use them :-)

Because it’s not 911 chip incorporated [all of them are, after 2002], I cannot change my carrier contract, but get 300 min/mo anytime for $25 anyway.

Astro Kermit says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 17:

Care to clarify? Can you cite your sources? Outselling on only AT&T right because the iPhone is not available on other carriers.

Astro Kermit says:

By wreckingbull @ 10:

GPSs never required a network connection (just sat).

Question for others: Does TMobile offer a prepaid data plan??

RE: Astro Kermit @ 23RE: Astro Kermit @ 22 – As to sales: http://www.techweb.com/news/226500293/android-takes-lead-in-u-s-smartphone-market.html

As to GPS, I think some/all of the phone systems require network access for the GPS software to function. This is probably due to the map data not being on the phone. I’ve never used a phone based GPS.

On that topic, does anyone know if the new Blackberry Torch not have a GPS function? It’s not showing on AT&T’s site, but they also don’t show the dimensions in inches either.

Dirty_Renter says:

I haven’t got around to buying a cell phone yet.
    Too cheap – me, not the cell phones.

Dirty Filthy Renter

One Eyed Man says:

RE: Dirty_Renter @ 25

Cell phones are the first step to being integrated into the Borg.

By wreckingbull @ 10:

I haven’t installed one yet, as my particular phone has some GPS bugs that will be resolved with an update that is due in a few weeks. However, there are a number of options for GPS navigation programs that will download the maps to your SD card like a Garmin or TomTom. TeleNav. Navigon is one that came pre-loaded on my phone, but I haven’t messed with it yet. Here are a few lists of other options.

By Astro Kermit @ 23:

Question for others: Does TMobile offer a prepaid data plan??

Not yet, though rumor has it that they will be rolling one out soon (maybe within the next year?).

WestSideBilly says:

Android on Sprint. Sadly, not the Evo. Few hundred minutes, ~1000 text messages, and lots of data… including Google Nav . Prepaid is nice if you only talk.

All Cell Phones of Any Kind Have the 911 Chip to Locate You

That’s why Obama had to stop using his Blackberry, the darn thing could track him….my guess is they built him one special without it.

RE: softwarengineer @ 29 – I went to the RIM site and it mentions having GPS functionality. BTW, by that I meant navigation, not just location–sorry for using the wrong term.

WestSideBilly says:

Phones don’t have 911 chips, but any cell phone location can be triangulated based on 3 cell tower locations. Newer (GPS enabled) phones will pass along the GPS coordinates if they’re available. Otherwise you’re just relying on the closest tower’s location.

dscott says:

Android/Droid via Verizon, family of five with five cell phones and no land-line for the last two years.
    Having music (necessary to keep the mood on the up side), navigation, camera, and internet access during house hunting has made us much more efficient. While waiting/watching the market we found ourselves in the unenviable position of looking for a one year lease at a time when my wife was traveling for much of the month. Being able to send still pictures, links, messages as well as video directly from the premises allowed us to narrow our search much more effectively.

RE: WestSideBilly @ 31

I Hope You’re Right

But my pre-2003 old phone cannot be put on a new carrier contract, only 2003 and newer can….the chip technology change after 2002 was called a 911 chip [I swear I read it]….I agree with you, the references I read before have been eliminated from Google recently….LOL

deejayoh says:

By softwarengineer @ 34:

RE: softwarengineer @ 33

Here’s a Related Article, Take It or leave It

The tinfoil hat is strong in this one…

Astro Kermit says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 24:

The article cites operating systems across all “handsets sold to U.S. consumers”. It should be noteworthy to note Android’s lead over RIM. However, since Android is offered on nearly all carriers and the iPhone only on AT&T, there is nothing “amazing” about either fact (sales and poll results).

We should wait until the iPhone is offered on other carriers for a comprehensive comparison.

Daniel says:

What about those without cell phones that do not hate technology? Currently I have a cell phone but believe it or not: I do almost not use it. I only got it cause my wife insisted.

Actually now that I think of it, maybe I do hate technology. After all without it I would not sit here thinking about porting my parallel code to NVIDIA GPUs.

Sniglet says:

What about those without cell phones that do not hate technology?

I may have a cheap pre-paid cell plan and “dumb” phone but that does NOT mean I hate technology! I just LOVE the fact that I scrapped my Comcast cable service for a fiber optic internet service (which doesn’t throttle my downloads for exceeding some set limit like Comcast does).

I just LOVE using Vonage (a voice-over IP phone service) and Western Digital set-top boxes attached to my home TV that play whatever files I load onto a 2terabyte hard drive attached to it. I LOVE downloading every season every made of “The Waltons” from BitTorrent so my children can watch them without any commercials. I LOVE using Skype for all my business calls (and recording my podcasts).

Where technology makes sense for me I am a HUGE fan, but where it doesn’t I let things be. I used to be much more excited about technology for its own sake. Over the years, however, I have become more selective about where I use technology. For example, I absolutely HATE vehicles with power doors and seats since they are just another thing that break down while providing little real value.

wsuengineer says:

WP7 has my name on it, providing Sprint will actually carry the device in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise I’ll cave in and buy the EVO. Not sure how much longer I can tolerate my WM6.1 clunker.

matsayswhat says:

By The Tim @ 4:

Nice! I just made the jump to Android with a Vibrant too and hadn’t yet found Word Feud (though was addicted to Words With Friends on my iPhone before it). Sent you a game invite from “matsayswhat”.

Check out “Air Control” when you get a chance… very addictive and fun little time waster.

Also, regarding Internet, you might want to try calling their customer service and see if they’ll cut you a deal. I’ve been a tmo customer since they were Voicestream and was able to get my Internet and texting plans cut down $10/ea out of loyalty.

By Astro Kermit @ 36:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 24:

RE: – As to sales: http://www.techweb.com/news/226500293/android-takes-lead-in-u-s-smartphone-market.html

My thought was more that the iPhone had a long time lead. But given the fact the average cell phone is probably only 2 years old, and most of the new iPhones probably replaced old ones, maybe it isn’t that surprising.

ivan says:

RE: Cheap South @ 20

T-Mobile prepaid texts are 5 cents to receive and 10 cents to send.

Nancy says:

I don’t talk much on the phone but do see the convenience of having one around in case of emergency, etc. I do not hate technology but in the same token, I don’t see the need to always be connected..which I find rather annoying. I’m just happy with my basic Tracfone and paying less than $10 a month!