Best Housewarming Gift Ever

As if providing me excellent mortgage service through my homebuying process wasn’t enough, long-time Seattle Bubble friend Rhonda Porter recently dropped off a hand-made belated housewarming present for my family:

Housewarming present from Rhonda Porter

Note the bubbles coming from the chimney of the house. So amazing.

Thanks again, Rhonda!

P.S. (If you’re new here, no, I am not a Brony. Pink ponies have been an inside joke on this site for five years, long before the recent My Little Pony show began airing.)

A Wonderful House Warming Gift to You from Rhonda!

ARDELL says:

Love it…but does that make Craig or Marc the Pink Pony who handed you the key? :)

It’s all good in the land of the pony. ;-)

I’m so glad you and Jeni like it, Tim! :) I’ve never painted anything as a gift and just started painting on black velvet a couple months ago. You’ve made my day.

redmondjp says:

BRING ON THE BLACK LIGHT!

I love it!

RE: redmondjp @ 5 – Maybe it could be like that most outrageous listing photo image, where when you click on it, it becomes the black light version?

patient says:

Fantastic! though I can’t help wondering what type of fungi the Porters are growing in the backyard…

ARDELL says:

RE: patient @ 7
    The Porters don’t have a back “yard”. They have a back “Puget Sound” :)

patient says:

RE: ARDELL @ 8
    But of course.

Will it go over the fire place mantle?

MichaelB says:

Wow!

RE: patient @ 7 – I prefer wine! lol

Tim’s gift was my third black velvet painting – here are my first two: http://www.mortgageporter.com/rhonda_porter/paintings/

(hope it’s okay to post a link here)

And yes… I’ll be working on an Elvis painting soon!

RE: Rhonda Porter @ 12

Those are very good.

RE: Rhonda Porter @ 12 – I’ll forgive you for not doing Elvis since you did JP. ;-)

thanks, David and Kary. Back in high school, I was recognized as the most artistic person in my class… lucky for Tim my specialty was painting unicorns. ;) I haven’t painted since high school…work, kids, etc. Now that they’re all heading off to college, I have more time in the evenings to give this a try again.

And I AM doing an Elvis painting, Kary :) that’s next! And of course one of pets playing poker… a must have!

Jonness says:

I work with a single gal in her mid 30’s who has two kids. When she found out I was looking at houses, she exclaimed, “Please learn from my mistake. Housing is overrated. I should have kept renting.”

Well, of course she feels that way. She bought a house much bigger than she needs for way too high a price in 2006. Now she is a debt slave for life. And as the following chart shows, it would have been much better for her to have remained a renter who has money left over at the end of each month. Being the sole bread winner, a mom, and the home maintenance person with no money left at the end of the month to have any fun in life isn’t all that pink pony.

Or, as a very good friend said to me when I talked about the excitement of buying a house: “Take if from me, that feeling lasts about 2 months. After that, it changes to worry every single month when you have to make the mortgage payment.”

So we have all these housing bulls around here pumping up how fun the cheap money can be. Yeah, if you pay $25K per year in interest for the next decade, MAYBE you can eventually pay off the house in “future dollars.” Oh, but they forgot to tell you, owners typically move within a decade, and the price of moving is an immediate 10% of the sales price in selling fees. Wow! You better buy now or be priced out forever! Call you Realtor immediately!

So get your mind out of the debt sewer. Instead, save some cash so you actually have something to show for all your hard work. If you really want a house, work and save first. Horrific debt isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Bottom line, if you don’t have at least 20% down, keep saving until you do. Once you learn to appreciate what it takes to earn and save money, you will have a better understanding of the value of the new asset you are acquiring.

Sincerely,

The Black Pony

By Jonness @ 16:

. . .

I agree with your conclusion, although not necessarily the saving 20% part. But you clearly should have the ability to save, and not be living on the edge before you even buy!

If someone was worrying about making their mortgage payments that quickly, they probably didn’t have that ability to save in the first place, or they really didn’t understand their budget very well. Back in about 2008 I saw a number of places that went into default fairly quickly, and assumed it was mortgage fraud. Maybe some of it was just really really bad budgeting?

ray pepper says:

I feel kinda bad I never gave you SQUAT for your housewarming gift…………….well actually all my advice is one helluva gift and that should suffice..

when u get older, and have slight dementia, you may remember that the above gift came from ME based on the initials……..

By ray pepper @ 18:

Too bad she didn’t paint that in May, 2000.

RE: ray pepper @ 18 – my hubby says that the RP on my JP Patches painting are his initials. :)