Listings Detective: $4M Bellevue Home w/ 16-Car Garage

Once in a while a really fancy, expensive home will hit the market, and instead of the usual location the listing will be marked as “Undisclosed Address.”

This morning Curbed Seattle blogged about one such home: West Bellevue Modern With Personal Car Showroom Asks $4M

[redacted] Hunts Point, WA 98004 [redacted] Hunts Point, WA 98004

[redacted] Hunts Point, WA 98004 [redacted] Hunts Point, WA 98004

Here’s the full listing on Redfin.

Whenever I see “Undisclosed Address” on a listing, I can’t help but take it as a personal challenge to find the address of the home. Often all it takes is the photos, zip code, and a little time on Google Maps satellite view to spot the home’s location.

After a bit of satellite-hunting, I found the address of our car-loving seller: [redacted]

[UPDATE]
The listing agent contacted me and politely asked that I remove the address.

The address was intentionally left out for security reasons. I hope you can understand our concerns and we request that you please remove the address from the blog post as soon as possible.

Moya M. Skillman
Broker | Premier Executive Director

Although everything I posted is easily-accessible public record that I’m well within my rights to post, since she asked nicely I decided to take down the references in this post to the home’s specific address.

[END OF UPDATE]

[redacted] Hunts Point, WA 98004The photo at right is from the King County Assessor, which lists the owners of this car heaven as Rodney and Janice Olson.

A bit of sleuthing through public info and news about Rodney Olson pegs him as a local hotel magnate. He was President and CEO of WestCoast Hotels (now called Red Lion Hotels) in the ’90s, and according to this 2002 SEC filing, also a major shareholder when the chain was acquired in 1999.

Here’s some more background on Mr. Olson, from that filing:

Prior to the acquisition of WestCoast Hotels, Inc. by the Company, Mr. Olson was the President, Chief Executive Officer and a shareholder of WestCoast Hotels, Inc. The Company purchased WestCoast Hotels Inc. from its shareholders, including Mr. Olson, effective December 31, 1999. Mr. Olson has served as a director of the Company since May 2000. He is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Paramount Hotels, LLC in Seattle, Washington. Mr. Olson began his hotel career in 1969 with Vance Hotels, which was later renamed WestCoast. He held executive positions in both sales and operations for Dunfey Hotels and Red Lion Hotels prior to re-joining the Vance Hotels in 1977. With Vance Hotels, he held positions of hotel General Manager, Vice President of Management Services, Vice President of Purchasing, Vice President of Development and Vice President of Operations before becoming President in 1986. Mr. Olson has served on the Boards of the Washington State Lodging Association, Restaurant Association of Washington State and the Seattle Hotel Association.

…and he’s also quite the car aficionado, as well.

According to the King County Assessor, Mr. Olson purchased the lot through an LLC in 2005 for $779,144 and built the current custom, car-centric home three years later in 2008.

Just about the only thing that we can’t find through a little Internet sleuthing is why the 63-year-old hotel magnate would want to sell just six years after custom-building this impressive automobile palace.

pfft says:

what a coincidence I was looking for more garage space.

Check Out the 1970 Plymouth Superbird and Other Collector Muscle Cars

Seized when a doctor was recently caught making $33M on phoney blood tests….it could sure fill that mansion’s garage [the auction is on the East Coast, the immaculent 1970 Super Bird only has 63,000 miles on it BTW]. I hear you can get collector cars very cheap this way:

Erik says:

RE: softwarengineer @ 2
    I have a 1970 barracuda E body with a 383 big block. My dad gave it to me when I got my undergrad. I put all my money into remodeling, so I let my brother in law take it to car shows and tool with it. Better to have someone use it than to be selfish and let it sit. When I make a few million, I will take it back.

Erik says:

RE: Erik @ 3
    That is the plan atleast

Erik says:

RE: Erik @ 3
    That is the plan atleast. Get more financially secure and then play with cars.

RE: Erik @ 3
    I Had a 1968 Dodge Charger With the 318 V-8

Definitely faster than the Mustang small 289 V-8 back then….the trick automatic tranny was one of its secrets. The rules haven’t changed, the smaller V-8s were faster until the 4 bbl kicked in on the 383 and 440s, somewhere around 50-60 mph. The V-6 2014 Charger compared to the Hemi version, same approximate conundrum…the dealer agrees with me.

I love my 3.6L V-6 [even the Chrysler 300 owners boast of 40 mpg on cruise in the right lane on hwy milage, my 2011 got that too, 39.5, my 2014 is tighter right now, about 35]….I hear the Camaros don’t do that well hwy, but have 323 hp [mines much quieter at around 300 hp]. I hear that new 2015 Dodge Dart with the 1100-1300[?]cc turbo will now offer a straight 2.4L 4 cyl option without turbo…..my advice, don’t buy a turbo any brand car. They all will be burning oil fast and the warranty doesn’t cover adding oil all the time [even Car and Driver admits it].

I think they’re making 4 cyl turbos to meet the 2016 35 mpg minimum for cars and still get the V-6 hp, but you wait a few years….I predict the turbos will all disappear [except the 6.4L Hell Cat, its collector car different] and they’ll be gutless and dependable again….LOL

Better buy a muscle car now, after 2016 they’ll pea size ’em [they’ll look like Mustang type Pintos?] and stick 4 cyl turbos in all of ’em? LOL

Is there a point to this post? Searching out an address that was undisclosed and then posting it on the Internet is questionable enough, but then posting information about the owner and questioning why they might be wanting to sell? I don’t tend to think much of most right to privacy arguments, but I think Tim stepped way over the line on this one. Why not just post the pictures if you want to point out an incredible garage?

And to make this post even more strange, pfft managed to post something funny!

By Kary L. Krismer @ 7:

Is there a point to this post?

Curbed Seattle posted the home and was openly postulating about its owner. That got me interested enough to put together the pieces from easily-obtainable public sources and answer the question. Since Curbed asked, I figured I would answer.

Real estate ownership as well as everything else I posted is all in the public record, just like anything else I post on here. And just like I’ve always done on Seattle Bubble, I posted something that I found interesting because I figured it might be interesting to other people, too.

pfft says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 7:

And to make this post even more strange, pfft managed to post something funny!

every time I hit “quote” on one of your replies I manage to post something funny…

By pfft @ 9:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 7:

And to make this post even more strange, pfft managed to post something funny!

every time I hit “quote” on one of your replies I manage to post something stupid in response.

Fixed your post.

Erik says:

You are being a kill-joy with your rules and regulations. Loosen up man. Try and be a stickler at work and relax after the bell rings to go home. You will be happier in the long run.

pfft says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 10:

By pfft @ 9:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 7:

And to make this post even more strange, pfft managed to post something funny!

Fixed your post.

u mad bro? oh yeah you mad!

By Erik @ 11:

I’m not citing any rules or regulations. I just think Tim crossed a line that shouldn’t be crossed.

Question Mark says:

Two words: red accents.

wreckingbull says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 13 – If the owner wanted to remain anonymous, he should not have used the MLS to market the property.

wreckingbull says:

Not that this guy really cares about resale, but while very cool , this place is a massive white elephent. Remember kids, if you are worried about resale, think about what percentage of potential buyers will be excluded by your novel ‘idea’.

redmondjp says:

By Erik @ 11:

You don’t understand, Erik.

When you work from home like Kary, you have nowhere else to go ;)

redmondjp says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 13:

By Erik @ 11:

Kary, let’s face it. When you are wealthy and have a garage bigger than most people’s homes that has its own car elevator in it, along with a stableful of exotic sports cars, you’re going to attract more than your fair share of attention – it goes with the territory.

Nobody would be doing a blog post on this guy’s house if he lived in a trailer park out in Sultan!

By redmondjp @ 18:

Now I kind of want to find a trailer park listing in Sultan and do a post about it, just to screw with you. :P

One Eyed Man says:

If The Tim were an MLS member, it would probably be “over the line” as a violation of at least the spirit of the MLS rules allowing the owner to request non-disclosure of his identity and location. But The Tim is NOT part of the MLS. He’s a form of internet age journalist known as a blogger. Disclosing newsy type facts of public interest related to real estate is part of what The Tim does and if the facts disclosed are in the Public Record the owner has no expectation of privacy in this arena.

That said, I don’t know what the big deal is. When the guy behind my house started building, I thought they were building a covered outdoor riding arena. It turned out to be a 6000 sq ft garage for his car collection. Its probably not as nice on the inside as the Olson’s garage, and my neighborhood clearly isn’t Hunt’s point. But hey, you gotta keep the bird crap off’em somehow or you’ll find yourself squinting your eyes like the karate kid and explaining to the orthopedic surgeon the relationship between your tennis elbow and the phrase “wax on, wacks off.”

One Eyed Man says:

RE: The Tim @ 19

So when I list my mobile in Sultan, is a meth lab a commercial listing or residential?

redmondjp says:

By The Tim @ 19:

By redmondjp @ 18:

I double-dog dare you to – it’s a nice weekend drive, so long as you don’t try to come back into town on a Sunday afternoon . . .

Erik says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 21
    I don’t know of active meth houses. I know some of Tim’s neighbors that use meth down by the hospital. These people live at their mom’s house and you can usually find them high. Macro investor smokes crack which is similar. You could ask to come to his house to do a report? He will try to bum a crack rock off you, but if you ignore him, he will go away. But seriously, if you want to do a report on meth, Tim lives in a great spot for that. Go a few blocks til you hit broadway. Travel toward the freeway on Broadway past mcdonalds and chevron. I could point out about 5 meth users in one pass. I personally know one that stole my chop saw in Everett.

Note: This data has not been approved or is not the opinion of the mls. This is 6 years of my own personal experience living on 21st and Oakes for 6 years. Buyer beware.

By One Eyed Man @ 20:

I don’t think you’d see the P-I or Seattle Times doing this kind of story. They are even careful about what pictures they show of people walking down the street or attending an event–an area where I don’t get the privacy argument at all. Now maybe it it were someone who was more of a well known figure, like Paul Allen or Bill Gates. Who was the sports figure that recently was upset because one of the news sources published his address as part of covering a listing?

One Eyed Man says:

I would agree with you that exposing the public records on a rich guys house is closer to the “yellow” journalism of a tabloid paper like a 1900’s Pulitzer publication rather than a modern day Times or PI that aspires to be a Pulitzer Prize winning publication. In that sense it may be over the line of bad taste, but certainly well within the bounds of Howard Stern or just about any cable, satellite or internet based entertainment news.

Mike says:

By Kary L. Krismer @ 7:

My neighbor across the street has been in the house for about a decade, and while I’m friends with him – me – and nobody else on the block knows his last name. He purchased the house through an LLC to keep his name out of the county records. *that* is how someone who wants to remain anonymous goes about it. Not disclosing the address in an MLS listing just discourages drive-bys.

whatsmyname says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 25
    If the Bubble fizzles, we can look forward to the “Real Estate Enquirer”:
    Telephotos of the room where Casey Kasim died,
    Celebrity baby bump (nursery projects),
    And who gets the house when local power couples divorce.

Blurtman says:

RE: whatsmyname @ 27 – Anna Nicole Smith’s passing has filled a massive void. Thanks to her, most Americans were too distracted to notice the looting and war crimes.

whatsmyname says:

RE: Blurtman @ 28 – Not only that, I still don’t know what happened to her house.

One Eyed Man says:

RE: whatsmyname @ 27RE: whatsmyname @ 29RE: Blurtman @ 28

Perhaps Tim could do a new weekly post for the Bubble on home staging that we could call “The Spot.” It could feature someone visiting the master bedrooms of million dollar listings with a black light and pointing out the “dirty laundry” being passed off as upscale linens. Next weeks feature: Don’t put your head on that pillow, you don’t know where its been!

Am I over the line yet?

whatsmyname says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 30
    You win!

Blurtman says:

RE: One Eyed Man @ 30 – Could couple the black light with POC DNA tests. “Yes, that is definitely gerbil.”

pfft says:

I’d turn that garage into a gym, a basketball court, a rocking climbing gym and whatever else.

Blurtman says:

RE: pfft @ 33 – Grow room.

RE: Mike @ 26

I had a friend like that once except we knew his name but somehow knew that wasn’t REALLY his name. I got him drunk one day and he told me his real name. Sad. Lost a friend. The Feds had to move him. :(

redmondjp says:

Uh-oh Tim . . . now you’ve done it! [property address redacted]

Yesterday I took a Lake Washington dinner cruise that did the Gates residence drive-by all the way to downtown Bellevue. Along the way the captain of the ship gave us a remarkable rundown on the features of many homes along the waterfront. I was amazed at some of the details that he knew.

RE: redmondjp @ 36 – That guy sounds like a serious security threat!

joedirt says:

Tim, seattlebubble has provided a lot of good information, but this topic is not up to your standards. I agree with Kary.

redmondjp says:

Well, it looks like The Tim scooped KOMO on this story, by a whopping six days:

Azucar says:

RE: The Tim @ 8

I found it to be interesting.

Keep up the good work, Tim!

Dang, and here I thought it was possible to please all of the people, all of the time.