Top 10 Most-Commented Posts of 2011

Fair warning: it’s a slow week this week, so I’ll be posting a few “filler” items like this one. First up, the top ten most-commented posts of 2011, excluding open threads.

1. 147 comments, 04/21: Has the Tide Turned Against Home Ownership?
  2. 156 comments, 10/27: Obama "Can’t Wait" to Screw with the Market Even More
  3. 172 comments, 08/13: Weekly Twitter Digest (Link Roundup) for 2011-08-13
  4. 180 comments, 10/24: "Who Is Home Will U Steal Today"
  5. 189 comments, 04/29: Claim: Seattle Real Estate Market Suddenly Heating Up
  6. 203 comments, 05/27: Guess What
  7. 210 comments, 06/10: Knife-Catcher: The Tim’s Home Search Timeline
  8. 212 comments, 12/06: November Reporting Roundup: Distressed Edition
  9. 242 comments, 06/21: The Sex Offender Bogeyman
  10. 250 comments, 07/12: Real Estate Agents: Advocates, or Deadweight?

I realize October’s Case-Shiller came out today, but I’m taking the day off, so I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on a post. I’ll get to Case-Shiller tomorrow.

m-s says:

So who were the top 10 commenters? I can guess; wasn’t me. You all are very entertaining…mostly.

RE: The Tim @ 1 – That’s okay–it’s old news anyway! ;-)

Chris says:

Case Shiller 134.22 versus 135.59.

-1.01%

Jonness says:

By The Tim @ 1:

Mortgage rates have been crazy low lately, but we seem to be stuck in The Cycle of Market Emotions as per your article above. It looks like we have finally moved past the denial stage and are smack in the middle of the fear stage. I’m quite looking forward to desperation, panic, capitulation, despondency, and depression.

I still find it interesting that so many people in your April 2011 post felt the housing market had reached the despondency stage, meaning, we had reached the bottom and were on the verge of a nice upward V in house prices.

wreckingbull says:

#8 should be disqualified. Just a two-page bicker-fest between David Losh and Kary.

RE: wreckingbull @ 6

Actually it was between Ardell, and Kary.

This was another case where Ardell offered a lot of good information, for free, and Kary just couldn’t understand it.

Hugh Dominic says:

Ah, that top thread was memorable indeed. It reminds me. RE agency and the brokers they serve have traditionally been valued based their access to information, and connecting buyers with sellers. The Internet is driving the price of information and networking to zero. So, agents better find a way to be valued based on skill and expertise instead. I doubt it will happen. Redfin FTW.

Hugh Dominic says:

Another highlight – which thread was the one where David Losh outed himself as a racist? That has to be his worst post of 2011. I think it was a Queen Anne vs. West Seattle thread. What did he say again? Blacks have no enterprise and only a sense of entitlement? Unreal.

RE: Hugh Dominic @ 9

David has become my favorite poster here on The Bubble..The Tim should have a Dave Losh Classics segment…I don’t remember the racist one but even todays was comical about “my many wives” or something…

I also like when Dave gets mad at Tim, Kary, Radfun, Glenn, Internet, Buyers, Sellers, the World or me…

MichaelB rocks as well..He had me laughing on the sex offender segment and Tim’s house..Slam after slam and Tim just kept rolling with it…

The Ardell-Kary fight doesn’t titillate me as much as DaveL…

OK, we really need some new blood here. Thousands of people a day read this site- but the same 10 (well, maybe 3) dominate the comments. Come on Lurkers- your ideas are just as valid as anyone elses- jump on in. Who’s buying, and what do you think/fear/hope? Who’s selling- and why? What do you really think about real estate agents? I don’t care what Kary thinks abourArdell. What do you think about them? Would you hire them? Any of the other agents?

Anyone thinking of building a bomb shelter?

RE: Scotsman @ 11
    Amen, Scotsman. The only thing I’d add is that the lurkers ideas are probably more valid than the regular posters. I don’t find the commenters here boring, just kind of predictable.If you’re reading this and haven’t commented: Don’t be afraid. You won’t look any more stupid than people already have.

MichaelB says:

RE: raymond pepper @ 10

…And what a year it’s been, Ray?

Here are my top 5 predictions for 2012. What are yours?

#5. Kary will leave the real estate industry and Ardell will take all of his clients (2)
    #4. Tim will leave RedFin as his job will be outsourced to Mumbai
    #3. RedFin will sue Tim for $2.50 per reader for taking his readership with him
    #2. Tim’s Everett home will be valued at under $150k as prices plummet in Seattle
    #1. Actual “Bogeymen” will be discovered near Tim’s home.

RE: Hugh Dominic @ 9

Whites alway feel they are the people of privilege.

You mean that? You mean where white people always want to “gentrify” some place? You mean where white people move into a neighborhood, and destroy it, with stupid, petty, little rules? You mean where we need to keep white people segregated, and away from good, decent, hard working people?

Aren’t bankers white? Aren’t financial engineers white? Aren’t Republicans white? Aren’t most of the current world’s problems created by white people? Didn’t we fight two World Wars over white people business? Is the Civil War the bloodies war in history, fought for, and about white people business?

Yeah, that was me.

LocalYokel says:

RE: David Losh @ 14

Here is something real estate related…in liberal, fun loving Seattle.

Thank goodness that old farts like you are going to die
    way before me and bury the past with you.
    This crap was still lingering around even in the 80’s.
    New blood, what, what?

RE: MichaelB @ 13

” Actual “Bogeymen” will be discovered near Tim’s home”

Should liven the place up. (ah, what’s a few vowels . . )

RE: MichaelB @ 13

Well since you asked:

#5. I will be at a cash machine in downtown Renton and as I’m taking 40.00 out I will get knocked over the head. I will be found without memory of anything but an unyielding desire to make hand puppet gestures all night long in front of giant search lights outside Walmart stores. I will become very famous for doing this and have a band of followers from hundreds of Occupy Movements.

#4. Kary and Ardell will announce they have a passion for each other that is too difficult to resist anymore. They will leave their partners and live happily together in Mountlake Terrace. They will begin an entirely new career : breeding British Ferrets

#3. Jillayne will begin an Investigation of Steve Tytler of Best Mortgage due to his annoying real estate ads on 97.3 only to come to the conclusion that he is IN FACT a Bull Dog in human skin : http://www.puppypoopy.com/bd4.html . http://www.bestmortgage.com/

#2. The Tim will Host a Bubble Party and invite ALL OF US. An unexpected neighbor will come to the party and gently, but forcefully, brush up against his gabardine slacks and he will immediately place his home on the market with John L Scott .

#1. Dave Losh will be caught on both Komo and King 5 ramming his 2004 Buick Century into the Red Fin office at 2025 1st Ave. He almost gets away but as Dave is backing his car from the debris he sees Glenn and grabs him RIGHT ON 1st AVE and says the same line that Ivanna Hump a Lot said to Austin Powers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3WpQMChSI

MichaelB says:

RE: Scotsman @ 16

Bogey Wogey!

Hugh Dominic says:

By David Losh @ 14:

RE: Hugh Dominic @ 9

Whites alway feel they are the people of privilege.

Yeah, that was me.

My apologies. Racist, and poorly educated.

The US Civil War is not close to the bloodiest war in history. 6 of the top 10 bloodiest wars were fought in China and central Asia. Though, I know that your style of racism tends to either ignore Asian minorities or includes them with whites, so, touché.

I think in your impotent rage you have juxtaposed imagery of a group of people that you imagine to be your oppressors with one or more races of people. This is an unhealthy point of view and this kind of racist hatred and stereotyping only prolongs the divisions between us. For shame.

MichaelB says:

RE: Scotsman @ 16

From Wikipedia:

“A bogeyman (also spelled bogieman, boogeyman or boogieman) is an amorphous imaginary being used by adults to frighten children into compliant behaviour. The monster has no specific appearance, and conceptions about it can vary drastically from household to household within the same community; in many cases, he has no set appearance in the mind of an adult or child, but is simply a non-specific embodiment of terror. Parents may tell their children that if they misbehave, the bogeyman will get them. Bogeymen may target a specific mischief — for instance, a bogeyman that punishes children who suck their thumbs — or general misbehavior, depending on what purpose needs serving. In some cases, the bogeyman is a nickname for the devil.

Peter Witting says:

RE: MichaelB @ 13

#5. After a surprise tropical wedding following many years of flirting together on Seattle Bubble, Kary will leave the real estate industry to focus on writing sentimental poetry and Ardell will take all of his clients….

/fixed

By David Losh @ 7:

RE: wreckingbull @ 6

Actually it was between Ardell, and Kary.

LOL. The Washington State Department of Licensing and the NWMLS agree with me, and you think I don’t understand.

What you and Ardell were supporting was basically a form of bait and switch.

Dorothea says:

Who’s buying, and what do you think/fear/hope?
    The young, the foolish and the well-off cash-buyers.

Who’s selling- and why?
    The desperate, be it due to divorce or inability to pay the mortgage.

What do you really think about real estate agents?
    There are a few GEMS out there, you just need to be persistent to find them. GEMS can provide excellent local knowledge, expertise and access. The rest are all sociopaths.

I don’t care what Kary thinks abour Ardell. What do you think about them? Would you hire them? Any of the other agents?
    I love Ardell. She seems good natured and tolerant. If I was in the market north of I-90, I might consider her. Kary evidences absolutely no sense of humor or comic timing whatsoever. He clearly understands fundamentals, but the deadly serious analysis of every….single…topic with such gravitas? Meh. Lighten up and live a little, man!! Surprise me with a witty, ironic or offbeat comments every so often, please!

Anyone thinking of building a bomb shelter?
    Yes, why do you ask?

RE: MichaelB @ 13RE: Peter Witting @ 20 – One of the best things about 2011 was I had two very interesting buyer transactions, which were hardly run of the mill. I’m still not at liberty to report on one of them, but the other was finally being on the buyer side of a bankruptcy transaction (actually two–one failed inspection).

It’s always been interesting watching the buyer’s agents figure out bankruptcy listings. A very few of them have been sharp at it, and one even gamed the system to an extent I really didn’t appreciate. But not even the best of them would have known 10% of what I knew, or had a clue to do some of the things that I did representing the buyer on the transaction that closed.

RE: Hugh Dominic @ 18

Are you seriously claiming white people aren’t oppressive, brutal, and vicious?

The over educated have spoken; which was another form of white people’s superiority. However, white people lost that battle also. Did we lose that battle to the Asians?

By David Losh @ 25:

Are you seriously claiming white people aren’t oppressive, brutal, and vicious?

Do you know anything about world history or even current events? Try Googling genocide. Or maybe check out what’s going on in Syria. People are oppressive, brutal and vicious! It’s not limited to a certain race, or even certain parts of the planet.

Yes, but colonialism and it’s legacy are the white man’s burden. You brought up Syria. On US Census forms, Syrians are considered white. Many of the places in the world with conflicts are places that were colonized by the British, or the US, or the French. We went in and screwed up a lot of countries. We didn’t simply go in and establish colonies and live peacefully among the natives. We intervened in other countries business. We went in and had democratically elected leaders deposed and assassinated in other countries, because these leaders were threatening the profits of American and British corporations, and in the name of freedom we installed our own puppets in these countries who ruled with brutality.
    White people aren’t inherently bad. But when you give them a lot of power and a lot of money, they tend to feel that things need to stay that way, and they’ll go to extraordinary lengths to see it continue.

Blurtman says:

So the true deifinition of “racism” is the belief in the existence of races. And one of the dangers of this belief is to generalize behaviors and charaterisitcs to all members of the putative race. And so there are good racists and bad racists, but all are racists. But what is being described here are characteristcs and behaviors of the human race.

MichaelB says:

RE: raymond pepper @ 17

Fantastic Ray! Thanks for the laugh!

MichaelB says:

RE: Peter Witting @ 21

Much Better!

Just Walk Into Just About Any Ethnic Restaurant in the Seattle Area

Look around and see who works there….almost all of ’em are from the race of the ethnic restaurant….is this racist? IMO, yes. Ask an EEO office if you don’t believe SWE.

Do American restaurants have this one race employee problem? Yes, to some degree….but much more melting pot from what I’ve seen, in comparison.

By Ira Sacharoff @ 27:

<We went in and screwed up a lot of countries.

I’d agree with that, but that would bring foreign policy into it.

RE: Blurtman @ 28

Blurtman, Let’s Be Pragmatic

If you don’t watch your back and/or someone who’s on your side [or race] isn’t watching your back; you’re in deep dodo.

Is this racist when all races do it IMO, Hades no.

What’s stupidity, is when most races do it, but you don’t, because you’re afraid its racist.

I get along totally with almost all ethnic groups and talk just like I am now.

ChrisM says:

Oh joy, yet another thread runs off the road…

Dragging this back to real estate, my parents (currently living in E WA) are looking for property in AZ, and will be selling their place come spring.

I wonder to what extent retirees are defining the market?

MichaelB says:

By Blurtman @ 28:

Totally agree with you. Too much focus on race. For example, the recent Seattle Times article regarding performance of African Americans versus African immigrants with ESL. Why not just focus on the poor performance of all of the children in our community regardless of race and find ways to fix it? Race is exclusive.

If you want to see racism, you need look no further than the video in “Obama can’t wait to screw the market even more” above. Pathetic!

Blurtman says:

RE: MichaelB @ 35 – “Having said that, nothing worse than a bunch of white guys sitting around talking about race and colonialism on a real estate website on December 28th.”

Absolutely! LOL x 10. I read Denninger’s blog periodically, and the commenters seem to be a bunch of bitter old kooks who view their own lives as that of hardworking saints. Interesting view into the psyche of folks who read blogs, but not sure I want the insight.

Blurtman says:

RE: ChrisM @ 34 – My in-laws have been looking to buy in AZ for the last 6 months. They finally sold their home in NH, after a few years of trying, and moved to AZ where they are toughing it out at a Residence Inn type establishment. They are a new class of wealthy homeless. It seems to be a game of liars poker there, where the seller is holding out for a high price, and the buyer is coming in low. My in laws are looking at McMansions in the Scottsdale area. Two retired folks who need 4,000 sq. ft. plus! This could go on for a year.

ARDELL says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 27

I think it’s pretty old fashioned, and in most cases racist, to even use the word “white”.

I’ve met you. You don’t look all that “white” to me. :) I’m 2nd generation American and most might call me “white” in winter, but not in Summer. Well…not all Summers. In some I’m white and in others I’m not even close to white. I’m not quite either. My ex-husband was “white” in that only can turn from white to red and never tan kind of way.

You say: “Yes, but colonialism and it’s legacy are the white man’s burden.” By that definition I guess I am not “white” as my ancestry in the U.S. doesn’t go that far back. I’ve always felt a bit like Sophia Loren in Houseboat…not quite fitting in to any particular “race”. If a “white” person moves here from another Country this year…do they adopt this “burden”?

Isn’t it time to just drop the whole “white” thing?

When I go to L.A. where it is very “White vs Mexican”…I definitely don’t feel “white”. Even in Italy it’s not clear what I am. Sicilian’s are not considered “white” to Northern Italians, and I’m from smack in the middle between Sicily and Northern Italy. My mother’s side is Russian-Jew…a little bit of Mongolian Gypsy blood. So I guess I’m somewhere between “white” and “high yellow”. :)

I think anyone who can firmly think of themselves as “white” is likely racist.

ARDELL says:

RE: ChrisM @ 34

Spoke with a lot of my “older” friends over Christmas. Most are looking to buy something all cash for $150,000 or less in areas where that buys something they can retire to. My East Coast friends are looking in North and South Carolina or Florida. My West Coast friends are looking in Vegas, Arizona or some select areas of California where prices are not too high.

Most are not planning to stay where they currently are. None are considering having a mortgage or paying more than $150,000 or so (even if they can afford to), though condo fees or Senior Living monthly fees are on the table vs straight single family with only real estate taxes and insurance. None are considering renting during their retirement years.

So I do think you will see a continued geographic shift in the Baby Boomer population over the next 3 to 5 years.

Updog says:

By Scotsman @ 11:

Anyone thinking of building a bomb shelter?

Ok, I’ll bite.

I have been house shopping for almost 2 years. In that time, I’ve slowly built up a downpayment and have realized I can’t get the location/quality/price i want. Came in thinking $400K was a huge chunk of change and should buy something nice no problem. Now, realize that $500K is just about the starting point for what I’m looking for. I feel well off and am good on the ‘affordibility calculator’, but still choke about buying something this expensive.

Biggest regret is a house that sold for $515K that I wish I would have moved on, but was still in my firm “below $500K” attitude. Also, lost a house for $400K to someone at an auction, this buyer later flipped it > $525k with little more than paint + cleaning.

Some RE agents are good, but the industry as an aggregate is awful. The business model is in desperate need of reform and does no good to its customers.

Its fun watching Kary + Ardell bicker.

Pffft gets piled on just a little too much.

SoftwareEngineers posts have slowly devolved into lunatical ravings about density.

RE: ARDELL @ 38
    I don’t think of myself as white even though the census defines me as such. Nor did I introduce the subject to this blog. David was being accused of racism because he was blaming white’s for a lot of society’s problems. LocalYokel posted a link about neighborhood covenants which were still enforced not that many years ago, which prohibited Blacks, Asians, and Jews from living in a whole bunch of Seattle neighborhoods. To suggest that we’re all past that and everything is honky dory( pun intended) is to have blinders on.

ARDELL says:

RE: Dorothea @ 23

I agree that “the young” are buying…30 give or take…planning to start a family of who have a child about to start school. But I would guess in the areas I work, that does not represent a change in who was buying in any previous year to date.

By MichaelB @ 35:

That’s pretty racist! ;-)

ARDELL says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 41

Well…I’m past that…and most of my clients are not “white, black, Asian or Jew”. I think everyone should just check “other”. Except maybe Kary, The-Tim and the guy on the couch. They all seem pretty vanilla. :)

By Ira Sacharoff @ 41:

RE: ARDELL @ 38

I think you’re making a huge assumption that David was using the census definition of the term.

Well the comments that Hugh brought up have to do with my view of gentrification. It is Real Estate related.

Gentrification is when white people buy property in a neighborhood, some previously “red lined,” which is a topic for another time, then move in a Starbucks, and set up a little out post to drive up Real Estate prices.

West Seattle, or more exactly parts of West Seattle, like south of Henderson, or was that south of I-90? got some special white people treatment then the price of property became more homogeneous.

Gentrification is a part of what is now a mortgage backed securities problem.

What I always find interesting is that when I wear a suit, I’m white. When I’m speaking Spanish, badly, and driving the pick up, I’m Hispanic. I’m well aware that race is alive, and well globally.

Ardell is right once again. I learned Sicilian, and stayed there a while. When I ordered coffee in a café in Florence I ordered in Sicilian. There were comments made about me in Italian about what a peasant I was. Those comments were loud enough for me to hear, and embarrassing.

In Spain young people are having a Nazi uprising, in France there is open hostility toward immigrants from Africa, even though the French need tax dollars from immigration.

And in Asia? Forget about it. White people are the symbol for Satan.

My comments are about gentrification, The reactions are interesting.

ARDELL says:

RE: Updog @ 40

Can you tell us generally where you are looking? My $400,000 give or take clients just closed yesterday in Bothell vs Kirkland or Redmond. Northshore School District vs Lake Washington School District. Got a lot more house and in better condition for the money.

Did some stats for Lake Washington School District yesterday.

Inventory is low, of course, in most every price range. Median home price has been running between $500,000 and $525,000 and pretty stable for the last three years. Highest point of that range being in the middle year, 2010. 2011 median is only 2% off of 2009 median. Not much change.

As to your “biggest regret”, going through that now at $615,000 vs $515,000 and my client is the one in escrow. Though I expect many others were hoping it would be $600,000 or less, as were we. Was surprised when the appraisal came in at $630,000 to $660,000 depending on the “method”. Sales approach $630,000 and Cost Approach $660,000. I’m sure the market wanted it to be $595,000 or less.

$500,000 give or take doesn’t necessarily buy you a whole lot more than $400,000 give or take. The difference between $450,000 and $550,000 is often area vs house. I would recommend you at least consider a slight (not major) shift geographically, before pumping the price up a hundred grand.

ARDELL says:

RE: Dorothea @ 23

Further to mine above and your reference to desperate sellers, neither of the above sellers appeared to be desperate. Both homes were much improved and very well maintained. My clients were the buyers, so I don’t have 100% valid info on that. But clearly neither was under water.

RE: Updog @ 40

About six months ago some one here caught me when I was encouraged that a property, a rehab, had sold for what I thought was a fair price. The propert actually sold to the silent partner to get rid of the construction loan.

I started looking at pricing, as I had time, and am shocked by how expensive housing units are, when we hear about how prices should be falling.

My opinion, since 2008, has been that we would see prices correct. Prices haven’t corrected. Property is just about as expensive today as it was at what we refer to as the peak.

You are expressing a common complaint about invetory, and Ardell has confirmed that inventory is “low.” The conclusion that I have is that we may be moving away from a time when the Multiple Listing Service will be dictating the market place.

It’s just stupid to wait for some one to decide they want to sell, for top dollar, and buyers waiting, hoping, and praying that perfect property comes up in an internet search.

There is something wrong with this system.

gardener1 says:

I have posted here just a few (3,4 times?) and been run outta town on a rail.

My position has been been that I don’t want to buy real estate, I don’t want to be a homeowner, and that the whole fiasco is a rigged game for insiders and I don’t want to play.

The response here? To be ignored or told I don’t belong because I’m not in the real estate game.

So I don’t post. Why would I?

You people live in your own world of square foot values and Seattle Is Special (or not). Frankly I think Seattle is a craphole of a backwater end-of-the-road and I wouldn’t dream of investing my money in this algae covered outback. This assessment is also ignored.

This website will never pick up any kind of contributor diversity as long as the unincluded are dismissed as know-nothings, who aren’t able to play the game with the local big boys and girls.

There ya go.

Dorothea says:

“Seattle is a craphole of a backwater end-of-the-road and…algae covered outback.”

Gardener – Seattle can certainly be insular and nanny-state liberal, and the natives less than warm and friendly to outsiders. I’m interested to know regions or cities in North America that interest you – not necessarily to buy real estate, but from the perspective of having more appeal to you.

As to commenter diversity, I agree with some of your assessment. I thought when SB announced the partnership with the Seattle Times in mid-November, it might bring new blood, but that doesn’t appear to have been the case. I think that certain frequent commenters here are focused more on demonstrating that they are right, rather than interesting. Of course, that fascinates me in a slow-motion car-crash sort of way…

RE: Dorothea @ 51RE: gardener1 @ 50

This is the flying monkey site, like in the Wizard of Oz. Tim is the Wizard who called a Real Estate Bubble, and all these guys piled on with how much they hate Real Estate agents.

Ardell, at the Rain City Guide had sat down at a computer and started knocking out Real Estate posts, some times two a day, if I remember correctly.

Rain City Guide came under attack as well as any othe pro Real Estate agent web site came under attack from the flying monkeys who frequented here.

Once the Bubble burst there was a lot of back slapping. Many other Bubble sites called it a day, and have gone away this past couple of years. Tim got a job at redfin producing sales charts, and is still banging these posts out.

When I first started commenting on this site or Rain City Guide I was attacked daily.

You know what? It doesn’t matter. I’m interested in what every body has to say, so I don’t care. I take something positive away from this site every day.

You can say what you want, within broad guide lines, and the site self regulates. It’s a daily storm that passes.

Lake Hills Renter says:

By gardener1 @ 50:

I have posted here just a few (3,4 times?) and been run outta town on a rail.

That was pretty much my first thought when someone above asked about new people. Honestly, this place isn’t very welcoming to new contributors.There’s a handful of regulars that only seem to want new people to come in so they can knock them down. As Dorothea said, it seems some are more interested in proving they are right by argument instead of having an actual discussion. Why would anyone new want to come into that? They wouldn’t, so they don’t. Which leaves the same handful of stale commentors saying the same stale things ad nauseum after every post. I rarely even bother to read the comments any more, and I used to read this blog religiously.

kfhoz says:

RE: ChrisM @ 34
    The only people I know who are buying are retirees or near-retirees.

My Dad and stepmother missed their dream house a few months ago because they did not understand how much retirees are defining the market. They would not raise their offer on a lovely gem. Daddy kept saying “no family would be interested in a 2br house with two master suites so the price should not be that high”. But the only people he or I know who are buying now are a few beyond-child-bearing-age DINKs (Double Income No Kids) and retirees such as himself, and near-retirees.

BTW: I hate it when agents tell me “there is always another house”. The house my they liked went for less than they would have wanted to pay for it. There has been no other house that they liked this much despite years of casual looking.

By Lake Hills Renter @ 53:

By gardener1 @ 50:

I have posted here just a few (3,4 times?) and been run outta town on a rail.

I’m giving a new comment rating plugin a try, to see if most readers agree that too few people are dominating the comments and new voices should be highlighted more.

If you don’t like a comment, give it a thumbs down. If you like it, give it a thumbs up. Comments with lots of thumbs up get automatically highlighted (similar to when I feature a comment manually) and those with lots of thumbs down get automatically downplayed (like when I “bury” a comment).

Let me know what you think!

By Lake Hills Renter @ 53:

By gardener1 @ 50:

I have posted here just a few (3,4 times?) and been run outta town on a rail.

That was pretty much my first thought when someone above asked about new people. Honestly, this place isn’t very welcoming to new contributors..

I’ve seen much worse sites. I will say I’m surprise how Eleua is treated when he comes here. But to a large extent I think it depends on what you say. For example, when people complain about Seattle, they tend to get attacked.

I’m just glad everyone has been so pleasant when I post!

Lake Hills Renter says:

RE: Kary L. Krismer @ 56 – I’ve seen much worse too, but that doesn’t make it any better here. I don’t blame new people for not posting given the current dogpile attitude toward any differing opinion, even when well presented. I may disagree with pfft on many issues, but I’ll give him credit for sticking it out.

Hell, I came very close to not even mentioning I’d finally bought a house because I didn’t care to face the derision I expected. To be fair though, I didn’t get any. And I am completely surprised by that.

I wonder whatever happened to Eleua. I haven’t seen him in ages.