Most Popular Posts of 2010

Due to an overload of work and a shortage of good planning on my part, I’m forced to fall back on a cheap filler post for today. Here’s a supplement to Tim’s Top Ten of Twenty-Ten. It’s the ten most popular posts of 2010 as measured by individual page views:

1. Goldman: Seattle Home Prices to Fall 22% More by 2012 – 06/08, 69 comments, 13,475 views
  2. 25-Story Apartment Tower Built in 2001 Now a Teardown – 04/12, 94 comments, 10,965 views
  3. Top 25 Cities: Price to Rent and Price to Income Ratios – 01/29, 134 comments, 5,548 views
  4. On Misguided Ethics and Walking Away from a Mortgage – 05/11, 217 comments, 4,858 views
  5. Real Actual Listing Photos: Guess What’s Amiss Edition – 09/30, 67 comments, 4,536 views
  6. Charting How Much Home the Median Income can Afford – 05/21, 30 comments, 4,536 views
  7. Real Actual Listing Photos: Bank-Owned Edition – 07/19, 23 comments, 3,973 views
  8. Case-Shiller: Flat is the New Up – 05/25, 60 comments, 3,484 views
  9. Four More Washington Banks on the Unofficial Problem Bank List – 01/12, 14 cmnts, 3,375 views
  10. Do Rising Interest Rates Lead to Falling Home Prices? – 02/09, 95 comments, 3,369 views

Considering that the content of most posts here on Seattle Bubble is provided in full via the RSS feed and the front page, I feel like 3,000+ views on the individual post pages is pretty impressive. Thanks to all of you for your continuing participation. You’re the reason I keep running this site.

Patrick says:

Thx. I’d love to hear an update on the McGuire teardown (top post #2). Is that moving forward or are the lawsuits holding it up? Any news on when the actual deconstruction date will be? Or rumors about future uses for that land?
    Ah, nevermind, Google News came to my rescue :)
    Fyi for others interested:

Without Tim and his contributers I’d have to rely on MSM for most of my local RE news, and I’m sure it’s not just me:

We’ve all learned a lot from each other, even when we have different opinions [maybe, especially when we have different opinions] and yes, the Bubblebrains have changed my mind 180 degrees with facts at times, and let’s hope this has happenned to you too. It’s a good sign of intelligence :-)

pfft says:

my favorite is the one where 61% of voters were wrong and I was right.

Where will the DJIA be at the end of 2010?

so much for the double dip too.

pfft says:

SB epic fail. 74% didn’t think the worst of the recession was over.

Poll: The worst of the recession is over.

whatever insight SB commenters had about the housing market doesn’t carry over.

Hugh Dominic says:

The best part of that Goldman post is that Ira goes on the record with a 5-10% price drop between June 2010 and 2012. You bet I am keeping that on file for two years.

Hugh Dominic says:

RE: pfft @ 4 – Define “worst”.

Homes up from their lowest median home price? Jobs created faster than workforce growth? Near as I can tell the available workforce got less employed and home values dropped farther (and still will). So the worst was not over.

Worst was, and is, still being recreated every day. 9+% unemployment for 18 months is worse than 9+% unemployment for 12 months.

You, our town fool, have mistaken a second derivative minimum (rate of job loss) for a first derivative (fewest jobs). Losing jobs more slowly than the previous month does not mean the worst is over.

And before you point to some pathetic number of job gains, keep in mind the number of workers joining the workforce exceeds it.

pfft says:

By Hugh Dominic @ 6:

RE: pfft @ 4 – Define “worst”.

the town fool has been right a lot of the time. those two polls are just two examples.

by saying the worst isn’t over that means losing more than 700,000 jobs a month and gdp falling more than the 4% it did. gdp is growing and the private sector added 1 million jobs last year.

” Losing jobs more slowly than the previous month does not mean the worst is over.”

that is pretty much the definition.

EconE says:

By pfft @ 3:

my favorite is the one where 61% of voters were wrong and I was right.

Where will the DJIA be at the end of 2010?

so much for the double dip too.

Really?

Let’s look at what you said…

By pfft @ 10:

dow will be barely about 10,000.

WTF is “barely about” supposed to mean?

You took the over AND the under.

Intellectual dishonesty at its finest!

Jonness says:

By pfft @ 3:

whatever insight SB commenters had about the housing market doesn’t carry over.

Housing is a no brainer, as the fundamentals are easy to get your head around. House prices are still falling 5 years after the national market topped.

Stocks are harder to predict an exact number because we are trapped in a secular bear market where stocks have moved sideways for a decade with intense volatility in the interim. One year out, will we be at the top of a volatility swing, the bottom, or somewhere in between? At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. What matters is you know how to time the volatility and make money off the swings. Ray Pepper always gives good advice when he says, “don’t fight the Fed.” If you listened, then you have made a lot of money from his advice.

pfft says:

By EconE @ 8:

By pfft @ 3:

my favorite is the one where 61% of voters were wrong and I was right.

Where will the DJIA be at the end of 2010?

so much for the double dip too.

Really?

Let’s look at what you said…

By pfft @ 10:

dow will be barely about 10,000.

WTF is “barely about” supposed to mean?

You took the over AND the under.

Intellectual dishonesty at its finest!

I took the over and voted the over. I win!

did you just learn the phrase intellectual dishonesty?

I typed about instead of above.

By Hugh Dominic @ 5:

Keep it on file, and parade it out if I turn out to be right. Otherwise, burn it.
    I”ve been wrong many times before, and I’m not afraid to go on record. But I’ve never been accused of being overly optimistic, or a cheerleader.

Hugh Dominic says:

RE: Ira Sacharoff @ 11 – That is for sure.

My inner data geek loves the ” Charting how much the median income can afford.”